• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Will these vehicles run? A puzzle from the past

wolfy

awsm
Will these vehicles run? A puzzle from the past
MAKE_PT1471.jpg

So which one will run?

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Wouldn't the second one move since there is a continuous stream of water to propel it forward? Once the lead ball left the trough, there would be no force to act on the vehicle, right? (looks like the trough is not touching the ground)

Science > SolitaryPenguin, so I am just guessing.

*edit*

I take that back, the water isn't hitting the ground. I am stumped then.

/wanders off to eat cake

Last edited:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm inclined to agree with Oberon on this one. Part of the gravitational energy pulling the lead balls down will transfer into forward motion due to the 45 in #1. #2 on the other hand, though the water is coming out of the hose, the force created is being negated when the water hits the reclaimer.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
the 'equal and opposite reaction' that would propel the first vehicle is the movement of the lead balls out the back... the water-based vehicle does not have any gross kinetic output because it is a "closed loop"

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The second method could be akin to thrust vectoring, if only more pressure were used, and the water were shooting backwards after hitting the ramp. As built though, I don't think it's going anywhere.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Am I a bit retarded for thinking that the first one's balls would just roll down that ramp onto the ground?? I don't see how it makes the car move.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Am I a bit retarded for thinking that the first one's balls would just roll down that ramp onto the ground?? I don't see how it makes the car move.

Well, when the ball hits the 45 degree ramp, falling down, the ramp will cause the ball's direction to change (from straight down, as gravity pulls it, to partially horizontal), forcing the ball to move away from the back of the truck. Since the momentum of the overall system (balls + truck) must stay the same (ignoring friction losses, etc.), the truck will move forward as the released ball moves back. But it won't move much (assuming the mass of each ball is pretty small compared to that of the truck + balls still in the hopper). Assuming you're the person who has to pick up the balls and reload them into the hopper, you'd be better off just throwing them all away and pushing the truck by hand.

Oh no... I sound like my old physics teacher... :doh:

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Haha... I am pretty sure that none of them will actually move more than a few centimetres.

The first one might tned to move forwards, as kelric said, because the momentum has to stay the same, but I think the vehicle is way to heavy to actually move.

The second one...well, I don't think it will move. I mean, the water is getting back from where it has left and besides, it's not even directed horizontally.

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
Wonderful! Shades of Heath Robinson. Neither works. The water one is a closed system so it's going nowhere - literally. The load of balls looks as if it might work except that its power source is external. If it fired balls from a cannon the recoil effect would work like a rocket but in this case, gravity is just doing the job and there's no recoil.