• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can read your mind!!!

Kollin

MBTI Type
INXP
I thought that would get your attention lol, anyways,I was watching the news this morning. and in Japan, they are working on this machine or something that might make it possible to know what a person's thinking before you think it!!!

The way I understood it, it was this fmri thing that they may be able to enhance the resolution so that instead of being able to capture a pic of a million neurons they could fine tune it so that it would recognize a couple of hundred!!! They think that in 10 yrs. time they could have a "dictionary of thought"!!!

this is kinda scary!!!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
So far... they've only been able to discern brain activity that corresponds to specific images they've shown to the subject. These patterns do not tell them what exactly the subjects' thoughts were on these images other than that they were holding the images in their minds. Nor are the patterns organized in any specific fashion.

Mind reading? Still has a long long way to go.

Kollin

MBTI Type
INXP
Why do you think it is scary?

Just curious.

what if law enforcement start using this...or other militaries (not that I have anything to hide):D. I mean if you got captured and the they interrogated you for classified information and you knew stuff that could jeopardize people's lives and the country's mission...I mean all they would have to ask you is "Where is.." they could likely get it....if they can develop this technology. I mean would you be able to keep from thinking the information you were being asked for in that situation? I don't know that I could. or law enforcement would just have to ask the suspect "Did you do it?" and they would know.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
what if law enforcement start using this...or other militaries (not that I have anything to hide):D. I mean if you got captured and the they interrogated you for classified information and you knew stuff that could jeopardize people's lives and the country's mission...I mean all they would have to ask you is "Where is.." they could likely get it....if they can develop this technology. I mean would you be able to keep from thinking the information you were being asked for in that situation? I don't know that I could. or law enforcement would just have to ask the suspect "Did you do it?" and they would know.

I don't think that could hold water really. Just because someone is thinking about it, does not neccessarily correlate to the truth. Suppose they asked if you did it, and unconsciously, you suppose in your head what could have happened if you had done it. Well, no amount of technology could narrow down specifically what you were thinking, just that you were thinking about doing the deed. Which means they may believe they have grounds to arrest you on insubstantial evidence or interrogate you or treat you as guilty until proven innocent.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Did it ever occur to you that some people use drugs or do boxing, both of which kill brain cells, rendering the 'dictionary of thought' entirely useless since no two brains can be the same?

You have nothing to worry about.

T

ThatGirl

This sounds more like reading reaction and feeling than thought. It is impossible to tell someones thoughts and the process behind it.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
"Good luck with that," is what I'd say to them.