• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ATA SATA HDD

wolfy

awsm
My hard disk is on it's last legs. It has an ATA drive in it. Can I replace it with an SATA drive?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Yes, but you won't have SATA speed unless the motherboard supports it, and in this case you'll also need an adapter to connect your SATA drive to the motherboard.

Regardless, it does generally make sense to get a SATA drive rather than ATA due to better performance and price per GB.

Edit: Buy a Seagate Barracuda, and download their free Disc Wizard (aka Acronis True Image) to clone your current drive. Much less work that way.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
What Javo said is technically true, but everything will go smoother if you do a more direct replacement. Less to worry about. Plus, you'll never actually regret having ATA, because you won't be able to tell the difference.

Next time you get a NEW system, go SATA.

wolfy

awsm
Thanks for the advice.
I want to go the nice easy simple route. So I'll go ATA.

Still it seems there are a lot more SATA on the market now.

Last edited:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Wolfy, check your motherboard for SATA sockets. A lot of systems were built at the change over time and they came equipped with SATA sockets but the then cheaper ATA drives.

Also note that you cannot use SATA on ATA sockets (just in case that was a thought). The two use entirely different plugs, cables etc.

If the worst comes to the worst I think you can get PCI brackets which will give you SATA ports but that's liable to be expensive.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Late reply, but...

Open up the case. If there are SATA ports on the board, then there is absolutely ZERO problem with getting a SATA drive. The other thing to check for is a SATA power connector available. If you don't have one, don't worry, drives typically come with one. (They use a different plug.) If you buy an OEM drive (no box, just drive.), then you'll need to grab a power connector for around $3 (assuming your PSU doesn't have a connection for it.).

If your board doesn't have SATA ports, you can get an add-in card for probably about $20, but that's more trouble than it's worth, just get an IDE/ATA drive.