User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    XNXP

Default USB Microphones/Digital Microphones

I've been getting interested in these lately. Anybody have experience with them ? ( Read what they have to say first, on the site links provided, before you summarily dismiss them, as there have been some changes recently in this technology from what was being offered when they first came out. )

I'm wondering how close one has to be to the MXL mike for it to work, for one thing. ( I need more info about this latency/device driver question also. ) The same company offers a new "shotgun mike" product, too; however I don't know if it is a USB/digital model or not.

Some different types of microphones that I discovered in my explorations lately.

( 1. ) MXL 009 - The only one of these in my OP that I can actually hope to afford any time soon.MXL USB Mics

With the above product they are supplying everything that you need for a certain level of sophistication. ( See the Neumanns for more sophisticated options. ) This same MXL company also makes a little rod that can convert the input of a regular microphone into something suitable for a USB connection.

( 2. ) Neumann -

The new digital microphones - example -the D-01
    Georg Neumann GmbH - Products/Current Microphones//

It would be cool to put two of those into the "ears" of this - Georg Neumann GmbH - Products/Current Microphones//
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

*shrug* I have an SM58 Beta, a mixer, and an RCA cable w/mini-plug adapter. I'm not much help, am I.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Any particular reason you don't want a normal mic? I've tried USB headsets and most often they use software to control the sound and so anything you spend on your soundcard is wasted. I think you'd get better results with a decent soundcard and a normal mic, that certainly holds true for headsets.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Any particular reason you don't want a normal mic?
    Well, I'm just examining my options. People keep directing me away from hardware, and at DAW software, and that necessitates expenditures on a laptop for the field recording I want to do, and blah blah.

There are a bunch of different microphones that I have been told I need for different applications, such as interviews versus capturing environmental noises etc. So you've got shotgun mikes, dynamic mikes, condenser mikes, etc. if you want to make a professional recording that really captures nuances. Some of these require phantom power and some don't. There's also the question of pre-amps and a bunch of other considerations, not that I'm an expert. Just relating what I've been told and read etc.

For a field recording unit, I was told the "Sound Devices 702" was very good, but buying it would kill the budget. Of course I could get a cheap little Zoom digital recorder for $200 maybe, but I have my doubts about some of the products on that level. ( I tried something similar out in the store and it couldn't even pick up people at the other end of the service desk. Pathetic. )

Anyway, having a digital microphone would remove the need for pre-amps, and phantom power, at least for whatever the digital mike was good for. ( It might only be good for applications that are restricted to the studio anyway, or only be useful for the interviews, which would neutralize some of the advantages that I thought it might represent. ) Less hardware to have to lug around, though.

At some point, I have to quit examining options and actually make a move on this stuff, and I'm hoping to have a little extra cash around mid-December. The interviews are going to be more important than environmental noises anyway, which I can pick up as samples from others if I want to go the cheater's route for now. ( Of course the Chicago winter will put a crimp in things too. )

( Maybe get samples from F7 Sound and Vision | Recording and audio production tips, gear reviews, free sound effects and WAVs, plus unique CDs and lots more. )

The DAW might end up being the new "Logic" release. I've got to think about the cost of lessons, too, as I may not pick the techniques up quickly, despite their maybe being "intuitively designed " etc. A friend owns a laptop that I may be able to buy. ( I could get a cheap PC laptop from Tiger Direct or something like that, but my friend's got a Macbook, or whatever they're called. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Okay K I'm not the world's foremost authority on this kinda stuff. I'm no audiophile but what about the following
    Sony Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
    ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook SB0710EF - Sound Blaster - Your Music and Movies. Way Better.

That way you can buy any laptop with a PCMCIA socket (most have them) and then plug and play.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Okay K I'm not the world's foremost authority on this kinda stuff. I'm no audiophile but what about the following
    ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook SB0710EF - Sound Blaster - Your Music and Movies. Way Better.

That way you can buy any laptop with a PCMCIA socket (most have them) and then plug and play.
    so i take it that the express sound card plugs into the PCMCIA socket?

my problem with recording music was that my sound card couldnt really handle it... i'd have to turn the sound card recording volume down to practically 0, to avoid the signal being distorted (or chopped off on the edges).

i was basically using a vintage fender tube amp --> sm57 mic --> pre amp/recording thingy --> line in audio jack --> audacity. could the express sound card solve my sound level issues?

MBTI
    XNXP

Thanks for the tips !

I'll look them over and see what's what, if I can. The problem nowadays ( here in the States, anyway ) is that you cannot go anywhere and actually listen to the set-up you are proposing to buy, in, say a retail operation. (That's even assuming that all the components are being sold through one outfitter.) You must buy them ( or order them and have them delivered is more like it. Nobody is willing to stock anything but the most "bread and butter" items ) and take them home, and then hope for the best. As long as the unit does what it was "supposed" to do, there will be no refunds.

I'm not capable of determining, just by reading spec sheets etc., of whether something can be performing as it is designed to do, but still not meeting my needs, or whether it is simply not performing as it was designed to do.

So I end up having to ask various people who are "more experienced". Invariably they will suggest some other set-up versus approving mine, although sometimes they may know enough about certain items to disapprove them for certain applications.

The price for your suggested components sure looks nice, though, compared to what I've been looking at.

A number of lo-fi field recording "artists" ( unknowns ) recommended the Sony Mini-Disc, which is another fairly inexpensive recorder, which would obviously work with your microphone also. I want to be able to create material that sounds professional, and so I'm never sure whether the lo-fi routes are simply good unpretentious ways of accomplishing my goals, or whether they are amateurish approximations that would only satisfy kids, or serve more as "sketches" than 'drawings" if you will.

I'm leery of getting PC laptops too, as I have always just known my Apple workstation. ( Whenever I am forced to use PC's in work office environments, I notice them frequently crashing. ) Still, my budget is too small to simply nod to every high priced "top of the line" suggestion.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    so i take it that the express sound card plugs into the PCMCIA socket?

my problem with recording music was that my sound card couldnt really handle it... i'd have to turn the sound card recording volume down to practically 0, to avoid the signal being distorted (or chopped off on the edges).

i was basically using a vintage fender tube amp --> sm57 mic --> pre amp/recording thingy --> line in audio jack --> audacity. could the express sound card solve my sound level issues?
    Keep us posted.

When I was looking at the set-ups I mentioned in the OP, the audio software connection, that everyone seemed to assume would be used, was something called Reaper. Not sure if that's applicable to your question ( re: Audacity ) or whether I'm talking apples and oranges here.

Martoon mentioned something in my "home studio electronica" thread that may be useful to you, too. I'll have to go re-examine that.

MBTI
    ENTP

Stay away from soundblaster stuff for anything serious. Along with better preamps, in more expensive sound cards you get better latency. As always, budget dictates a lot. For about 200, you can go for an edirol ua-25. 400, presonus firebox. 600, Motu. 800, RME fireface. I really wouldnt go less than 200, even if it soudns like a lot. The edirol unit has pre amps for mic, guitar, line level, midi if you need it, and runs off usb power.

Despite their abundance in the market, I would stay away from anything m-audio or behringer. Buy once, cry once.

Mikes are anotehr story. There are much better mikes than the sm-58, but it is pretty tried and true. In the same price class there are other manufacturers with better and worse products. Once you start to spend some bigger coin on mikes, it makes sense even rent from a local sound company before making the purchase. There are very nice mikes which are not durable enough to leave the studio, but they are not ogign to be anyones first purchase. The pickup pattern varies by microphone, and this often dictates usability for a given situation. One usually only wants the sound of what the mike is aiming at, but sometimes not...

There is that saying, "you get what you pay for." Sometimes what you get is not what you expect. Cheap mikes (well under the sm-58 price class) quite often have washers or or some other form of metal to give the illusion of weight and strength. Proper mikes will actually have some electronics inside, often powered by phantom power provided by a preamp.

There are better forums than this for talking about this stuff, such as sound on sound.

Software? I use ableton. It could be better, but I am comfortable with it. Logic only runs on macs. Reaper is donationware and is very good at what it does. if one is starting out, I would look into reaper before jumping into logic. That zoom recorder is actually not bad at all.

MBTI
    XNXP

Here is Martoon's comment that I recalled, from the other thread -
    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    You'll also want to make sure you have a decent low-latency ASIO sound device (your typical consumer soundcard won't cut it - the latency will drive you crazy). I really like the Edirol UA-EX1. It's about $90 (last I checked - probably cheaper now), has good sound quality and about 2ms latency. Plus it's an external USB device, so it's easy to switch it over to your laptop when you want portability. Works great for realtime effects processing for things like guitar, too (e.g., with Guitar Rig 3).
    * Notices dga's post and goes to read it *

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    A number of lo-fi field recording "artists" ( unknowns ) recommended the Sony Mini-Disc, which is another fairly inexpensive recorder, which would obviously work with your microphone also.
    In April I recorded a drum kit with a minimal setup, using the Roland R-09 as media (48kHz/24-bit), yielding results that would not be classified as lo-fi. The unit is used by the fellow's own band for stereo recordings of live performances, too, and it performs well.
    Last edited by htb; 11-30-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typed "recordings" twice twice. Oh, no no! I can't stop stop!