User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Synesthesia

MBTI
    INxJ

Default Synesthesia

Does anyone here have it?

Wikipedia article.

I think it's an incredibly fascinating thing. I've figured out that I have 7 forms of it:

(In order of strongest to weakest)

Music - Color (it's like fantasia!)
    Personification - Color (everyone has a specific color)
    Emotion - Color
    Touch - Color
    Music Notes - Color
    Pain - Color
    Sight - Touch (example: looking at a TV... I can feel the TV in its shape, weight, static, etc. But this happens very rarely)

Everyone in my family has various forms of it, but they're not all the same as mine, and vice versa. My Dad has various numerical forms and my Mom and Brother have Grapheme versions.

Anyhow, I think it's incredibly fascinating. Share!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

I sometimes get an amazing light show when I get up really late for work and run to the shower. It happens when I am just under the water and I get to see insane flickers all over the place. It only happened five times under the same circumstances, but I don't think its what your looking for . . .
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    I sometimes get an amazing light show when I get up really late for work and run to the shower. It happens when I am just under the water and I get to see insane flickers all over the place. It only happened five times under the same circumstances, but I don't think its what your looking for . . .
    Hm. I'm not sure, but it sounds like it could be! Synesthesia is basically a combination between two senses or perceptions. Do you think that the light show is a cause of the sensation of water?

And my synesthesia is strongest when I'm tired and not distracted by other things. Or even sick. So since you experience yours when you're up late and tired, that's a total possibility.... at least I think so.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've get Sight - Touch sometimes. It's usually uncomfortable. I get a weird "pressure" feeling and the hardness and density of objects around me fill my mind.

And I get vague colors and tones and almost "static" like objects in my vision sometimes. But I have trouble relating it to anything, like music, emotion, touch....

Banned
    MBTI
    type

As I understand it, this is really foreign to me. I'm pretty sure I don't do this.

Never heard of that like it except Darrell Hammond referring to people having colors, and thus he could do better impressions of them.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    As I understand it, this is really foreign to me. I'm pretty sure I don't do this.

Never heard of that like it except Darrell Hammond referring to people having colors, and thus he could do better impressions of them.
    Everyone that I meet and at least have a conversation with or observe for a short amount of time form a basic color (blue, red, etc), and when I get to know them better, the color becomes more specific (dusk blue, maroon, etc). And the color rarely changes. My own color is marigold.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    Everyone that I meet and at least have a conversation with or observe for a short amount of time form a basic color (blue, red, etc), and when I get to know them better, the color becomes more specific (dusk blue, maroon, etc). And the color rarely changes. My own color is marigold.
    How intense are these colors? It's not strong enough that it can obstruct your vision, is it?

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    How intense are these colors? It's not strong enough that it can obstruct your vision, is it?
    No, this one is more of a feeling that I can pinpoint visually in my mind's eye.

The only instance when I actually see the color is with pain and touch. I'm not sure why...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Im really glad you posted this. I'm even happier that CC reposted it in a place to allow me to find it easier subconsciously. I had no idea there was a name for what I did, nor that other people did it. No one ever refers to things a bit like I do.. so I figured I was the only one.

Colors have flavors for me, as well as scents and touch.
    People have colors and smells to me. Sometimes I equate touch to people.
    Emotion = Color
    I use sight to touch, smell, hearing, and taste depending on what I'm looking at.
    I frequently think of time as locations or something tangible.
    Lol it's hard to think of things to say.. since it's so normal for me I suppose.

I do frequently hear people try to correct me though.. "Flavor? .. It's pink flavored?" I hear the same when I refer to scents as flavors.. even though you'd think smell and taste are so close it wouldn't be considered so odd.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Im really glad you posted this. I'm even happier that CC reposted it in a place to allow me to find it easier subconsciously. I had no idea there was a name for what I did, nor that other people did it. No one ever refers to things a bit like I do.. so I figured I was the only one.

Colors have flavors for me, as well as scents and touch.
    People have colors and smells to me. Sometimes I equate touch to people.
    Emotion = Color
    I use sight to touch, smell, hearing, and taste depending on what I'm looking at.
    I frequently think of time as locations or something tangible.
    Lol it's hard to think of things to say.. since it's so normal for me I suppose.

I do frequently hear people try to correct me though.. "Flavor? .. It's pink flavored?" I hear the same when I refer to scents as flavors.. even though you'd think smell and taste are so close it wouldn't be considered so odd.
    AWESOME. I wish I had those types... it must make life so much more rich!

The interesting thing about this condition is that people typically don't go to doctors and talk about it because a) it doesn't bother or hinder them from daily tasks and/or b) because they figure everyone has it (until they discover that it's actually not normal.

I never thought anything of it until I read something about an idiot savant seeing math as colors and shapes and being able to move the equations around in his mind according to colors and fitting together in a harmonic way, and it was called synesthesia. I've been obsessed with researching it since!