• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Synesthesia

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I heard that synaethesia is also related to autism. Does anybody here have synaesthesia who also has a family with a high occurrence of autism/aspergers, or has autism/aspergers themselves?

medica

MBTI Type
ENTP
A is yellow!

I have color synesthesia. Numbers and letters. No autism/Asperger in my family, nor AD/HD, OCD or anything of the like.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I have numeric/spatial synesthesia! I used to assume everyone else did, too. Every number is assigned a different place on a giant, invisible roller coaster (which may explain why math was so confusing to me as a child).

34 33 32 31 30
It's like: (etc)
(where I'm 17 18 19 20
standing) 16
11 12 13 14 15
6 7 8 9
1 2 3 4 5

That's just to thirties in 2 dimensions, but there are hills in there, too. (shucks, it left aligned the whole thing.) That's just for counting. It's different if we're talking numbers as related to people's age. :shock: I see the months of the year this way, too.

Also, I strongly associate certain pitches on certain instruments with touch.

Cool thread! :yes:

I'm not autistic in the least.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have it. Letters, numbers, days of the week, months and sound frequencies all correspond to colors and spacial locations.

hommefatal

Does anyone here have it?

Wikipedia article.

I think it's an incredibly fascinating thing. I've figured out that I have 7 forms of it:

(In order of strongest to weakest)

Music - Color (it's like fantasia!)
Personification - Color (everyone has a specific color)
Emotion - Color
Touch - Color
Music Notes - Color
Pain - Color
Sight - Touch (example: looking at a TV... I can feel the TV in its shape, weight, static, etc. But this happens very rarely)

Everyone in my family has various forms of it, but they're not all the same as mine, and vice versa. My Dad has various numerical forms and my Mom and Brother have Grapheme versions.

Anyhow, I think it's incredibly fascinating. Share!
I imagine how music is played when listening to it. And I connect a specific colour to everything that is important to me.

lexiphanic

MBTI Type
intp
"Personification - Color (everyone has a specific color)"

I doubt that is related to synesthesia directly. I would look into aura reading as an explanation for that.

Just for fun I've been looking for aura's where I work. I simply imagine that there is a color surrounding a person, and then I imagine what color it is. It is fairly consistent from day to day, and there isn't a person I can't look at and not quickly pull out an aura.

I didn't bother spending a lot of time looking for a link, but here is an interesting one that defines what some of the colors of a person's aura mean: OMG I'M A LINK

Refining my aura reading is somewhere on my long list of "things to do".

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dunno, I've wondered about that. Some people have such an obvious colour and animal linked to them to me, that it's scary. I wonder if that is synesthesia, as I also have it with numbers, days of the week, music, emotions. All those things have colour to me.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I heard that synaethesia is also related to autism. Does anybody here have synaesthesia who also has a family with a high occurrence of autism/aspergers, or has autism/aspergers themselves?

I have an autistic nephew who is fairly intelligent but suffers highly impaired social functioning (his autism may have been due to his premature birth and associated medical issues rather than genetic factors however). I also had a highly intelligent schizophrenic brother who may conceivably have been on the spectrum, and have often suspected that one of my sisters has undiagnosed Aspergers - she shows most, if not all, of the typical traits to some degree along with a remarkable talent for rubbing people up the wrong way. However, she isn't the kind of person who would give the medical profession "control" over her by going for help under any circumstances, so this will probably forever remain speculation on my part :whistling:

Not sure how much this counts, however, as I only know I have synesthesia due to my impressive ability to hallucinate non-existent sounds in the sound/motion synesthesia test posted earlier *wonders if that makes me a "proper" synesthete?* ;)

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My sense of touch appears to have grown with gaming. If I get to into a game I'll feel the movements as if I was shaking. The movements can last long after the game is over, strangely enough. However, I don't view this as Synesthesia as much as my brain adapting to something consistent for an eternity and a half (here's hoping for four more).

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've been sick and when I wake up my mouth tastes gross.

However, this morning, I thought, "Eww, my mouth tastes like 4!"

And then I went "huh?:shock:"

I don't know if this is an instance of synesthesia or just some tired non sequitur.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I have a seeming 'ghost' synesthesia. I don't truly mix different senses, rather they are triggered in my mind. I can imagine a color for a certain type of personality because the color and the person share the same vibe.

This reading can change more as I know a person. I think of it as more of the opposite of direct sensing: My mind feels objects rather than my body*. Sure, I might be watching, listening, and touching, but its my mind that is feeling it. It takes effort for me to feel something directly with my body.

Something vaguely related is that I know what parts of my brain are working hard by a slight pressure I feel when thinking a certain way. It's less 'my cerebellum is working hard' and more 'the front of my brain is doing some heavy lifting.'

*I wonder what SPs think when they read that :D

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have phoneme synesthesia. I 'see' colors when I hear words or speak them. I thought I had grapheme because when I read printed letters I see colors as well. But upon thinking, I think this stems from me 'saying' the words to myself when I read rather than 'seeing' the colors ON the page itself.

Haven't been through the thread but there are some interesting books about it. Anything by Richard Cytowic is good.

I remember an instance when i was around 6. I met my neighbor who was the same age. I introduced myself by saying, "My name is green. What color is yours?" When she couldn't reply I got really confused why she couldn't answer that. I was like, "how do you not know what color your name is?" :laugh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I think this is an important note.. Synesthesia isn't, correct me if I'm wrong, a voluntary function of the brain.

Reading auras, looking for colors, or other things are functions of the brain, not dysfunctions of it. If you can "Work on it" it's probably not synesthesia.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
My two boys have it. It was weird to hear them arguing about whether, say, eight is dark green or orange. Nice that they have each other, though. I don't know which side of the family they got it from.

Le Grande Muffin

I have no idea what that means..i had to look that word up

but i do lurve and indulgent one if one catches my drift which about 1-4% will every do

Ah

oh u jmean seeing music sounds as colour..wicked desire muses in a jig about fashined and plagerised by that series heroes (actually i think it its best season yet)

Looks at the rainbow
mugs the elf
spends it on muffins and no shoes..or boots galore (thow lot are allowed to mailme)

and opens his wine this shouldbe fun