User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Synesthesia

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I turned off sound aelan... still hear the same thing. But then again maybe I've associated the sound to the image already. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    Some neurologists that study synesthesia suggest that everyone could have synesthesia, but their brains don't have the connections... as in, the perfect human brain (using 100% of it rather than the 10% or less that is suggested we use today), would be capable of this, so that synesthesia is not a dysfunction.
    Heh! That's interesting. So I'm not dysfunction after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    BTW, I thought it sounded a little like someone breathing - it had that kind of regular rythym to it, but it was very crackly and "watery" most times I heard it (I repeated it quite a few times) - most like someone with a lung condition.
    It sounds somewhat like what I hear. Like there's fluid moving in and out of something.

MBTI
    INxJ

Kyuuei and Anja--When you visually, actually see a color surrounding a person, usually pulsating or with some effect, that's called an aura, and I don't believe that's considered synesthesia, but I could be wrong. I have read that goes in conjunction with the 6th sense, ESP stuff.

When I "see" colors with people, it is purely a feeling that associates with a color that I see in my mind's eye, as is the same for when I perceive music as color and shapes... I feel the colors and shapes in my mind's eye. I guess that's difficult to explain...

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, auras. Every now and then they manifest in the contemplative situations I mentioned above. But I don't think it's a thinking state. I'm tempted to say that it is a spiritual thing.

The sooty thing is something else. It's not an aura but rather an overlay of what looks like a sooty deposit directly on the person's skin. But it's ghostly. I know that it isn't there.

Hard to describe.

It's not something I am consciously looking for but rather something that jumps out and startles me. Glad it doesn't happen often or I'd stop going out in public!

And it is connected to my own feeling that I am in some kind of jeopardy. Yes, I guess one could call that sixth sense.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Grr, I had just typed a long post and the computer deleted it for no apparant reason instead of posting, so I will have to start again! Here goes:

My neuroscientist SO suggested to me that the most likely part of the brain for the synaesthesia to be occuring was in an area called the Parietal Lobe, which has a major role to play in integrating sense inputs processed by other parts of the brain. More specifically either the Inferior Parietal lobe or the Posterior parietal cortex are likely to be involved. The second of these links the parietal lobe to parts of the brain that more directly process sense input, such as the temporal lobe and Occiputal lobe. This article seems to be confirming some of what she was telling me, at rather more length:http://www.goucher.edu/documents/ver...ers4/davis.pdf

What I find particularly interesting about this (given that I had a "positive" result on the test posted earlier) is that I almost certainly have some form of temporal lobe epillepsy, which affects an adjacent area of the brain to the one likely to be involved. I was wondering whether it was possible for this to affect my capacity for synaesthetic experience, and whether anyone else who has synaesthsia has similar issues...

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Grr, I had just typed a long post and the computer deleted it for no apparant reason instead of posting, so I will have to start again! Here goes:

My neuroscientist SO suggested to me that the most likely part of the brain for the synaesthesia to be occuring was in an area called the Parietal Lobe, which has a major role to play in integrating sense inputs processed by other parts of the brain. More specifically either the Inferior Parietal lobe or the Posterior parietal cortex are likely to be involved. The second of these links the parietal lobe to parts of the brain that more directly process sense input, such as the temporal lobe and Occiputal lobe. This article seems to be confirming some of what she was telling me, at rather more length:http://www.goucher.edu/documents/ver...ers4/davis.pdf

What I find particularly interesting about this (given that I had a "positive" result on the test posted earlier) is that I almost certainly have some form of temporal lobe epillepsy, which affects an adjacent area of the brain to the one likely to be involved. I was wondering whether it was possible for this to affect my capacity for synaesthetic experience, and whether anyone else who has synaesthsia has similar issues...
    I was thinking along those lines, though not in such scientific detail, ragashree.

I've heard scientific explanations for near-death experiences as well. Where I exercise personal caution is the effort to medically diagnose such as abnormal. The scientific mind. . .

God bless em, anyway. Heh.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    Kyuuei and Anja--When you visually, actually see a color surrounding a person, usually pulsating or with some effect, that's called an aura, and I don't believe that's considered synesthesia, but I could be wrong. I have read that goes in conjunction with the 6th sense, ESP stuff.

When I "see" colors with people, it is purely a feeling that associates with a color that I see in my mind's eye, as is the same for when I perceive music as color and shapes... I feel the colors and shapes in my mind's eye. I guess that's difficult to explain...
    Right, my Syn generally comes in the form of smell and taste when I see or hear things, and hearing when I see things as well. Seeing music is something that I do, though I don't believe in the same way you describe.. I see whole pictures, not just colors. I see pictures with people as well. I 'see' tinted glass everytime Meta talks.. I can't control that, it's just what shows in my mind. Seeing peoples colors is also something I cannot control, although I don't see everyone's. Synesthesia describes as one sense relating to another.. I was simply indulging in another conversation that started. I don't know if I would go so far as to say I have a 6th sense..

I often do the spatial (sp?) thing though. Dates are definitely places for me, as are times, events, plans, etc. They all have a 'schedule' and a place on a map in my mind, otherwise I cannot comprehend them at all. Dates and events are objects for me, not spans of time. The bigger the event for me, the bigger the location looks to me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

Here's a funny puzzle. My senses confuse the smell of parsnips frying in butter with those flashing lights for airplanes on the top of tall buildings! Then I get an zip straight down my spine like an electrical shock. WTF?

Amusing.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Lol!! I often confuse scents with others or scents with sights as well XD.. I often thought the weeds around my elementary school smelled of pickles.. and was quite shocked to learn otherwise!! I still smell that, even though no one else can. Also, sometimes a place will just smell foul to me, even if other people don't notice it. it generally comes in the smell of a locker room or a gym bag.. that sort of stench.

I already stated my weirdest one.. but I do experience things that move my body in ways to make it believe it's shocked, or happy, or even 'excited' at points.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INxJ

Man, this stuff is fascinating. We should all join X-Men.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

!!!!!! IF I WERE AN X-MEN!!.. Honestly I'd probably be the lamest one XD!! "Wolverine!! There's curtains in here!!" "How can you tell Kyuuei?!! I see no windows!" "..I smell nutmeg. It must be an illusion!!"