Thread: Synesthesia

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Is synaesthesia tangible for synaesthetes? I can associate pretty much anything in my head with anything else, and predict the touch/other abstract associatins in my mind and imagine it with a high amount of detail. But I'm not sure that'd qualify to be synaesthesia or not.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post

Anyhow, I think it's incredibly fascinating. Share!
    A few posters have mentioned synaesthesia in conjunction with art, which triggered a memory of something I'd read about the phenomenon and the Symbolists.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Here's a link to an article on synaesthesia and the arts: features :: alexandra gutierrez :: "trickle-down" is an orange-colored phrase

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It is present in men too, equally so, roughly.
    I know but it seemed a large amount of people that posted here who had personal experience with the "condition" were N females. It was said largely in jest. I guess I should announce more my attitude or mood. I sometimes have a lot of trouble following these abstract discussions. Ns move to rapidly sometimes!!
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    A few posters have mentioned synaesthesia in conjunction with art, which triggered a memory of something I'd read about the phenomenon and the Symbolists.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Here's a link to an article on synaesthesia and the arts: features :: alexandra gutierrez :: "trickle-down" is an orange-colored phrase
    I really enjoyed that article, thanks for posting it!

MBTI
    INxJ

Speaking of art and synaesthesia:

This is an exercise I did with a song ("23" by Blonde Redhead"):

But that hardly captures how I experience it. That was just a generalized working of what I "saw" but doesn't include the movement (the darker colors shifted slowly, the lighter, like the orange, were flurries and hurried) or how it affected me physically.

MBTI
    INFP

A bit off topic but along the lines and certainly interesting.

I was waiting for my flu shot at the doctors today and a young man came in with earphones on. I couldn't help but overhear his conversation with the receptionist (poor privacy policy for sure.)

I can't remember the word he used, but he was seeking a psychiatrist and claimed to have a condition of heightened senses. I think he said "hyperaesthesia." He said he needed to have the headset on to keep from hearing too much.

I wish I knew whether he had "white noise" playing for him or what.

The only other time I've heard of this was in the fictional case of Roderick Usher in Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher."

Just took time to google.

Acoustic hyperesthesia is a medical condition. Interesting.

Neurosis?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

More.

So then I started to think about this thread and began to think about the sense of smell and how it is, of all the sense, the most evocative of memory and wondered if that may not be a mild form of synaethesia that nearly everyone experiences.

I suppose it would be a matter of degree of how vivid the momories are.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Right. Like, for example, I told Aimahn he's maroon to me.. It's not like when I read his text I see maroon in my eyes. It's my third eye that sees the colors. Shimmering is often with me, I see it in children a lot, and I shimmer to myself.
    Curious, what colour do I appear to you?

Also, that aura of instinct seems common as well. I am a bit naive when it comes to people, but every so often something strikes me as "this person's definitely.. off. or wrong somehow." and I never quite put my finger on it until their actions speak for me. Telling people that usually gets me crazy looks, since it's something difficult to explain.
    The dissonance is difficult to explain yes. I rarely say anything. Usually I wait till some actions confirm, but I stay away. I've learnt the sense of nausea has to be trusted.

And unfortunately, the only M&Ms that taste different are the peanut butter ones in the reese's pieces. Seeing the color itself would put a different taste in my mouth, but the M&M's flavor does not change.
    Ok, I've got to test that one. I've always thought different M&M colours tasted different - have a preference for red, brown ones. Don't like the blue and green ones. I'd always thought it was the taste of the dyes until someone told me they taste the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Is synaesthesia tangible for synaesthetes? I can associate pretty much anything in my head with anything else, and predict the touch/other abstract associatins in my mind and imagine it with a high amount of detail. But I'm not sure that'd qualify to be synaesthesia or not.
    It isn't forced as such. If I concentrate I lose it. It is how some people in the forums are clearer to me than others. I also "sense" them at different locations. Recently with one, when the person was in some kind of pain, the colours would change too.

Screensaver reveals new test for synaesthesia - life - 04 August 2008 - New Scientist

^ Do you hear anything on the above?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    o_O I didn't know I have synesthesia... but it sounded like air being sucked in and out to be...

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    o_O I didn't know I have synesthesia... but it sounded like air being sucked in and out to be...
    I'm not sure, Anon gave me this test. Make sure your PC is turned off btw. I don't hear sucking, more like a tinkling swirl of sorts. It is a noisy picture though.