• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Synesthesia

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Umm, I have a lot of it.

Though there's that whole grapheme --> color thing, there's a lot of texture...

umm. I think I suggested that it might be related to Ni once on another forum. Then nobody responded. It has to do with a part of the brain being underdeveloped. Or something.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
*shrug* I wouldn't have thought that it's correlated to any one particular function but I could be wrong.
I'm not sure, either. But based on descriptions, Ni may be seen as a way of connecting unrelated data, as synesthesia is. It's an abstract concept, so I can see a big correlation with N.

Lol. I don't think it's so much cool as unusually pointless. I can't think of any good/useful things coming from being able to smell nutmeg from seeing sheer curtains.. or tasting something when I smell it or see it. Colors for people are rarely useful aside idle conversation. If I didn't have it, I don't think I'd mind one bit. It'd allieviate a lot of "corrections" in my speech. I would never have to hear "..Something cant be LOUD, it's not making noise." or my eyes hurting from neon colors (I literally can't stand to see highlighter yellow because it's too loud for me.) or even worse "It's blue.. flavored? :huh: " :dry: the whole thing can get quite annoying/embarrassing. At least now I know it's a condition, and not me just being crazy. There's some comfort in that.
Pointless for sure it is. But it must be interesting to have that kind of sensations. It's something very strange and I'd really like to know what it is, I'm that curious.
A 'loud' color... seems like a metaphor to me, but the thought that it's what you're actually sensing it's... I don't know. Just curiosity because I can't imagine what it's causing it.
(Lol it seems like I'm thinking of you as a guinea pig)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Lol! I didn't take it that way. I'll admit, I've always wanted to know what it felt like to experience things like being able to do long calculations in my head. (I generally doubt even the smallest things I do and end up breaking down onto paper or calculator) Or what it'd be like to truly speak in several languages fluently. (I'm not so awesome at grasping other languages either Lol) Or even better! THose that just seem to KNOW how engines and things work. They just sort of have a talent for that, or music or something.

I just wish I had something more useful than this XD like any of the mentioned above.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't find it pointless at all, actually.

It's the only reason I can spell reasonably well. :yes:

Reading this thread it makes me understand that there is a reason why girls are so crazy and hard to understand. It's synesthesia, thats why they always mix everything up.

Words spoken can not only have different meaning, but also evoke different senses. I mean I knew it was complicated, but I thought we were at least on the same playing field. :rolleyes:

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Lol! I didn't take it that way. I'll admit, I've always wanted to know what it felt like to experience things like being able to do long calculations in my head. (I generally doubt even the smallest things I do and end up breaking down onto paper or calculator) Or what it'd be like to truly speak in several languages fluently. (I'm not so awesome at grasping other languages either Lol) Or even better! THose that just seem to KNOW how engines and things work. They just sort of have a talent for that, or music or something.

I just wish I had something more useful than this XD like any of the mentioned above.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Reading this thread it makes me understand that there is a reason why girls are so crazy and hard to understand. It's synesthesia, thats why they always mix everything up.

Words spoken can not only have different meaning, but also evoke different senses. I mean I knew it was complicated, but I thought we were at least on the same playing field. :rolleyes:

o_O I think for the most part, difference in perception between man and woman are exaggerated... If we insists they're different than we'll never get anywhere with understanding the opposite sex.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
o_O I think for the most part, difference in perception between man and woman are exaggerated... If we insists they're different than we'll never get anywhere with understanding the opposite sex.

Loud purple

I think Im getting the hang of this...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

It is present in men too, equally so, roughly.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is synaesthesia tangible for synaesthetes? I can associate pretty much anything in my head with anything else, and predict the touch/other abstract associatins in my mind and imagine it with a high amount of detail. But I'm not sure that'd qualify to be synaesthesia or not.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
It is present in men too, equally so, roughly.

I know but it seemed a large amount of people that posted here who had personal experience with the "condition" were N females. It was said largely in jest. I guess I should announce more my attitude or mood. I sometimes have a lot of trouble following these abstract discussions. Ns move to rapidly sometimes!!

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Speaking of art and synaesthesia:

This is an exercise I did with a song ("23" by Blonde Redhead"):

n23201862_32588745_9297.jpg

But that hardly captures how I experience it. That was just a generalized working of what I "saw" but doesn't include the movement (the darker colors shifted slowly, the lighter, like the orange, were flurries and hurried) or how it affected me physically.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
A bit off topic but along the lines and certainly interesting.

I was waiting for my flu shot at the doctors today and a young man came in with earphones on. I couldn't help but overhear his conversation with the receptionist (poor privacy policy for sure.)

I can't remember the word he used, but he was seeking a psychiatrist and claimed to have a condition of heightened senses. I think he said "hyperaesthesia." He said he needed to have the headset on to keep from hearing too much.

I wish I knew whether he had "white noise" playing for him or what.

The only other time I've heard of this was in the fictional case of Roderick Usher in Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher."

Just took time to google.

Acoustic hyperesthesia is a medical condition. Interesting.

Neurosis?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
More.

So then I started to think about this thread and began to think about the sense of smell and how it is, of all the sense, the most evocative of memory and wondered if that may not be a mild form of synaethesia that nearly everyone experiences.

I suppose it would be a matter of degree of how vivid the momories are.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Right. Like, for example, I told Aimahn he's maroon to me.. It's not like when I read his text I see maroon in my eyes. It's my third eye that sees the colors. Shimmering is often with me, I see it in children a lot, and I shimmer to myself.

Curious, what colour do I appear to you?

Also, that aura of instinct seems common as well. I am a bit naive when it comes to people, but every so often something strikes me as "this person's definitely.. off. or wrong somehow." and I never quite put my finger on it until their actions speak for me. Telling people that usually gets me crazy looks, since it's something difficult to explain.

The dissonance is difficult to explain yes. I rarely say anything. Usually I wait till some actions confirm, but I stay away. I've learnt the sense of nausea has to be trusted.

And unfortunately, the only M&Ms that taste different are the peanut butter ones in the reese's pieces. Seeing the color itself would put a different taste in my mouth, but the M&M's flavor does not change.

Ok, I've got to test that one. I've always thought different M&M colours tasted different - have a preference for red, brown ones. Don't like the blue and green ones. I'd always thought it was the taste of the dyes until someone told me they taste the same. :shock:

Is synaesthesia tangible for synaesthetes? I can associate pretty much anything in my head with anything else, and predict the touch/other abstract associatins in my mind and imagine it with a high amount of detail. But I'm not sure that'd qualify to be synaesthesia or not.

It isn't forced as such. If I concentrate I lose it. It is how some people in the forums are clearer to me than others. I also "sense" them at different locations. Recently with one, when the person was in some kind of pain, the colours would change too.

Screensaver reveals new test for synaesthesia - life - 04 August 2008 - New Scientist

^ Do you hear anything on the above?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
o_O I didn't know I have synesthesia... but it sounded like air being sucked in and out to be... :huh:

I'm not sure, Anon gave me this test. Make sure your PC is turned off btw. I don't hear sucking, more like a tinkling swirl of sorts. It is a noisy picture though.