Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
This topic is hard for me to get my mind around. I understand the logical reasoning but imagining myself seeing color relationships with other things, when i don't even remember the color of my shirt, is mind boggling.
The "Kiki bouba" test is a really good way, as you can witness in the lecture I posted, to explain sorta how synesthesia works.

The idea is, this is an alien language. Which one says "kiki" and which one says "Bouba" to you?

Kiki is usually said to be the sharp, angular one by most people. The reality is, none of them should matter one way or another. The way it looks has nothing to do with the way something's said, persay (much like, you probably wouldn't have any idea what a Japanese character sounded like just from looking at it), but your mind hears "Kiki" and hears the very sharp, angular sounds of the word.. while "Bouba" is move fluid, and flowing.. So when you look at the characters, you associate the angular and waving ones to the noises even though there's no real reason to at all.

This is sort of how synesthesia works, or at least a Barney-sort of way of explaining it. The mind relates something to something else even though the two have nothing in common on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
Great post. Yes. Your "colors" should not change. It is involuntary and rarely disrupting to normal functioning. I think that's why I have to concentrate to think of how I "see" the colors - because it is so natural. It's like riding a bike and then having to explain each one of your movements. You have to actively think about it and it slows you down.
Indeed, like I mentioned in this thread earlier, I didn't even know there was a name for what I had until seeing the OP. It seemed natural to me, even though other people gave me some indicators it was not, and trying to place whatever I saw into words seemed impossible. It's one of those things that's hard to google.