User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Synesthesia

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I had thought for a bit about a recent thing that happened to me and decided to post it here. I mean, it's happened before obviously, but my recent education on Synesthesia is influencing me to recognize it in my daily life more and more. Upon asking casually about it in Vent, Edahn's guesstimation made me think to post it here.

I went into the bathrooms of the George R. Brown Convention Center.. and found I had an impossible time with the stalls themselves due to the texture on the walls. On top of a bright red color, they had tiny textures of bumps on the surface of them. I saw a constant moving of lines racing through the cracks between the bumps.. like shadow and light striking constantly in hatchmark formats.. It's really quite hard to describe.

As a side effect, this caused me to have absolutely no depth perception when it came to these walls.. I found myself having to feel along them to grab things without slamming my hand into them. I might as well have been blind.

I've seen other textured areas move for me as well, and it's always been an annoyance for me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I had thought for a bit about a recent thing that happened to me and decided to post it here. I mean, it's happened before obviously, but my recent education on Synesthesia is influencing me to recognize it in my daily life more and more. Upon asking casually about it in Vent, Edahn's guesstimation made me think to post it here.

I went into the bathrooms of the George R. Brown Convention Center.. and found I had an impossible time with the stalls themselves due to the texture on the walls. On top of a bright red color, they had tiny textures of bumps on the surface of them. I saw a constant moving of lines racing through the cracks between the bumps.. like shadow and light striking constantly in hatchmark formats.. It's really quite hard to describe.

As a side effect, this caused me to have absolutely no depth perception when it came to these walls.. I found myself having to feel along them to grab things without slamming my hand into them. I might as well have been blind.

I've seen other textured areas move for me as well, and it's always been an annoyance for me.
    Oooh. I heard you mention this before, but couldn't really understand it until now. I still can't imagine that sort of perception though, it's so radically different. What do you think was the main trigger for the altered perception in that episode? Was it the texture of the wall, the color, or the combination? Have there been other times when something has set off an altered depth perception?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Oooh. I heard you mention this before, but couldn't really understand it until now. I still can't imagine that sort of perception though, it's so radically different. What do you think was the main trigger for the altered perception in that episode? Was it the texture of the wall, the color, or the combination? Have there been other times when something has set off an altered depth perception?
    I can't be sure if the color hindered, but it certainly didn't help. Yes, I commonly have trouble with textured things moving on me.. but I can't recall many times where I've had such difficulty doing such a simple task due to the way I see it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A

I've always enjoyed associating certain symbols (letters, numbers, etc.) with certain personality types, and I do it rather frequently, but would that actually be considered synesthesia? I had always assumed it was simply due to my potent imagination.
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/EnglerMeister/hehh.jpg

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Default Synęsthesia

I've always found it intriguing. My science teacher has it, and I think it adds another level to how we see the world. I tend to use certain vocabulary despite the fact that I understand a wide range, and it limits my spoken word, yet it's natural.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I just read the wiki article. I have mirror touch synaesthesia.(check out the article links) OMG! I just thought it was a quirk of mine.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Is it possible you have astigmatism?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i have a few types of synesthesia, according to a few people & a couple of assessments i have taken.. all of them are color-related in nature - i am an artist, so this never struck me as odd; it was just this past year that i became aware of what synesthesia was..before then i thought it was just an experience everyone had and nobody talked about

(bump) any other synesthetes?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I have it very strongly. People think I'm an idiot sometimes if I don't stop myself from saying: that's delicious, it tastes just like purple!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

mmm, purple.. i like the smell of purple.