User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Default Heim theory (Hyperdrive technology for space travel)

I believe that there are several mathematicians, physicists and other people on here that really know what the Heim theory is all about. I'd like you to say what you think about this... In my non-professional opinion, this seems like one of the most important things I've ever read about.

Does the Heim theory hold any water?

If not, then what is wrong, and why?

Will the human race be able to travel faster than light to visit other worlds in the near future(let's say 10-200 years)?

What needs to be invented for this theory to work in practice?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Obviously, we need a solar sail and a leash.
    We hire some old style wranglers ad tie up the sun, drag it with us and sail by way of photon reflection. It'll undoubtedly take years to get going fast enough, but we'll reach the speed of light, then jettison a craft or series of crafts from the sail to get the extra speed boost.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

You mean that in order to achieve faster-than-light travel, we need to have something that is faster already?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    You mean that in order to achieve faster-than-light travel, we need to have something that is faster already?
    Nocapszy is toying with you. He knows that as long as we're locked into the current physical model, faster-than-light travel is absolutely impossible. Einstein said it, and Lorentz quantified it. You can accelerate at any rate for any length of time and you'll never exceed C. You'll just get to bigger and bigger fractions of C.

In order to make FTL possible, we would need... and Heim presumably provides... a new model.

MBTI
    ISTP

I think he means we should leash a star and use it to accelerate itself with a solar sail. To faster than light. And change velocity by dropping mass (or maybe just increase acceleration... or something. I dunno.)

Anyway, I am not a physicist, but my understanding of it is that it requires material sciences to advance so that the velocity of electrons can increase (this could also be achieved in other ways, but either way, a material that would support it).

Of course, I believe the theory doesn't hold a lot of weight at this point. If it is shown to be correct, then it essentially says that one of the paradoxes in the system (the changing of one of two constants) can only be resolved by adding 'spaces/dimensions'. But that requires the theory to be correct and the resolution to operate in the manner described.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Hmm... But suppose that we could get alien materials through the mining of, let's say, asteroids?

Option number two is to invent and synthetically construct such materials. No doubt scientists are experimenting with stuff like this already.

Hyperspace travel and material acquisition are two subjects that i'm almost emotional about. So much could be achieved if we had stronger, harder, lighter and more durable materials than what we have available.

MBTI
    ISTP

Hmm... But suppose that we could get alien materials through the mining of, let's say, asteroids?
    Not really... I mean, unless there are some very unusual combinations made in the lack of atmosphere or gravity, I wouldn't think there would be much out there. The same ingredients are here on earth.

It'll be something fairly complex, I would imagine - I think superconductors are mentioned as being close in one of the papers.

Option number two is to invent and synthetically construct such materials. No doubt scientists are experimenting with stuff like this already.
    Yup! I don't think such a material is possible at this point... I believe some people have mentioned Cooper's electron pair instead.

Hyperspace travel and material acquisition are two subjects that i'm almost emotional about. So much could be achieved if we had stronger, harder and lighter and more durable materials than what we have available.
    We are advancing very quickly now that we have nano-manufacturers. It may not seem fast enough, but it's growing faster now than it ever has in history... significantly faster!

I actually think the opposite. It's power that is our major limiting factor... if we could build vessels with nuclear engines and what not, we'd be able to shuttle around fairly easily. It's a multi-faceted issue. We don't have the groundwork to be in space yet, and our focus isn't there.

Oberon

Hyperspace travel and material acquisition are two subjects that i'm almost emotional about. So much could be achieved if we had stronger, harder, lighter and more durable materials than what we have available.
    The obstacles to faster-than-light travel are theoretical at this point, not physical. It's a physical impossibility, like it's a physical impossibility to pick yourself up by your own bootstraps. It doesn't matter what material you make the bootstraps out of, it still can't be done.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

...Helium-filled giant bootstraps, mouse.

MBTI
    INTJ

I learned everything I need to know about the space time continuum from flipping through astrophysics books in Barnes and Noble (the ones that have pictures) and from watching Friday night movies on the Sci Fi channel, and I can confidently tell you that the only way to "travel" faster than the speed of light is to go through a warm hole. Unfortunately, those things are rather scarce, and the ships that can withstand the travel through a warm hole are even harder to come by.