User Tag List

First 123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I learned everything I need to know about the space time continuum from flipping through astrophysics books in Barnes and Noble (the ones that have pictures) and from watching Friday night movies on the Sci Fi channel, and I can confidently tell you that the only way to "travel" faster than the speed of light is to go through a warm hole. Unfortunately, those things are rather scarce, and the ships that can withstand the travel through a warm hole are even harder to come by.
    Yup. But I think I might have read more on this subject, which is extremely unusual. I don't read books regularly, but about 1/4 of them were about physics.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Got any thoughts about it, then?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Here is my part.

This is unconventional problem that needs unconventional solution.

From what I know(I could be wrong) the problem does't exist.
    Our real problem is that we need to find a energy source that is strong enough to accelerate a ship(or whatever) close to speed of light.

But in that scenario our concept of time doesn't work anymore.
    So the traveller will experiance that flow of time is slowing down outside of a ship.
    What means that in a same period of time you can pass greater distance.

So instead of going over the speed of light you are slowing speed of your life.
    To you everything looks normal but it isn't.
    The only real problem is that time outside of your "bubble" is going normaly so alot of time will pass while you were in your ship for a short amount of time.
    For example it could happen to you that when you get where you want be that instead of research opportunity you will get a warm welcome from people who live there.
    Since you were gone for so long humanity had a time to develope better way of transportation and they left you in you ship simply bacause that would sound cool in history books. Or they(civilization) just forgot about you.

But to tell you the truth I think that no one is thinking about something that could be our biggest problem with space exploration.

The problem is that space is not emply. It is full of rocks, ice and dust and if you go
    100 000 km/h(what is very slow) you can't risk any collision.What could be much harder then it's look like. But that is another story.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Here are my thoughts on the "traveling at the speed of light":

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CJih1iYC0"]Don't Stop Me Now[/YOUTUBE]

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Not really. I'm not equipped well-enough in the mathematics to judge this Heim theory, but let's say the proof shall be in the pudding. Iirc, hyperspace itself isn't even considered "likely" yet.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It doesn't matter what material you make the bootstraps out of, it still can't be done.
    Just for reference, the material here is needed as part of the "engine" to produce the hyper space described in the theory. Kind of like needing a superconductor for levitating with magnetic fields.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    But to tell you the truth I think that no one is thinking about something that could be our biggest problem with space exploration.

The problem is that space is not emply. It is full of rocks, ice and dust and if you go
    100 000 km/h(what is very slow) you can't risk any collision.What could be much harder then it's look like. But that is another story.

Deflector shields. Apparently there's a thread about it on the forum... It's in development.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    IsTP

I don't think this exactly shatters the notion that we can't travel faster than light, but I think some may find this article interesting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Deflector shields. Apparently there's a thread about it on the forum... It's in development.
    It's only good against solar wind right now.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    It's only good against solar wind right now.
    Yup. And probably only will be, even in theory, for some time. (Who knows though, really.)

--

Keep in mind that we do have stuff up there in space, and it survives the flights just fine. Well, relatively fine. It's not really that big of a deal.