123 Last

Thread: Distributed Ne?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Distributed Ne?

How online games are solving uncomputable problems

Are these problems "uncomputable"? Or are we just currently not able to model them effectively?

Other applications which might lend themselves to this approach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    How online games are solving uncomputable problems

Are these problems "uncomputable"? Or are we just currently not able to model them effectively?

Other applications which might lend themselves to this approach?
    Computers still aren't able to pick the most likely adjustment with out trying them all. The word "uncomputable" is a mysnomer as the information can be calculated - it just takes a while. We humans, on the other hand, just by looking at something can "see" more likely results with out having to think through each possibility one after another. The issue is which is still more efficient and so the effectiveness.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Computers still aren't able to pick the most likely adjustment with out trying them all. The word "uncomputable" is a mysnomer as the information can be calculated - it just takes a while. We humans, on the other hand, just by looking at something can "see" more likely results with out having to think through each possibility one after another. So in short it's just effectiveness.
    That's the point. How to model that effective edge. What these gamers are doing isn't strictly 'calculation', it's more complicated than that.

Computers are only restricted by the algorithms they are given to work with. I'm wondering if we might be able to be more intelligent than use "brute force" methods...what that might look like....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

That's the point. How to model that effective edge. What these gamers are doing isn't strictly 'calculation', it's more complicated than that.

Computers are only restricted by the algorithms they are given to work with. I'm wondering if we might be able to be more intelligent than use "brute force" methods...what that might look like....
    Well, most of how our mental processing works starts with a database that gets filled from before birth. Mother nature took millions of years to get it right, God did it in 7 days. We've only been at it for 80 years.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Well, most of how our mental processing works starts with a database that gets filled from before birth.
    It does? Filled with what?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It does? Filled with what?
    It's filed as electrical impulses in the connections of our brain, something else we're still far from knowing much about.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's filed as electrical impulses in the connections of our brain, something else we're still far from knowing much about.
    I'm more a proponent of the tabula rasa, myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm more a proponent of the tabula rasa, myself.
    I never said we start off with it prior to neuron 1, but once the network is there information starts flowing and that gradually compliles. As it is the only synthetic analogue we have are some robots a guy put together that learn how to walk and navigate. This aquiring and storage of data requires a half decent amount of parallel processing and storage space. We're just not there yet with the hardware, never mind the fact that it still takes months of loading experience data to move around in the world. I have yet to see someone with the money who would really want to fund such a thing.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Hmm... are you meaning to attack this from a more cognitive science/psychology perspective. Do you think there is some form of algorithmic processing going on in our brain in addition to this blank slate. Or do you think our knowledge and intelligence is processed in a different manner.

I noticed runvardh that you mentioned it's stored in the form of electrical impulses, so do you think its more repetitious? in the sense that we keep adding deeper, more elaborate, and expansive layers and they get recorded in each instance forming the intricate web of knowledge that is our brain?

Are you trying to figure out if our mental processing can be deduced, or are you arguing it is much more complex and therefore can not be understood in mathematical terms?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ISTP

I never said we start off with it prior to neuron 1, but once the network is there information starts flowing and that gradually compliles.
    Yup... the mind has built in pattern searching and processing systems in place automatically. Plus the raw power of our mind is many orders of magnitude stronger than the computers available.

The computational problems come from not having enough power and not powerful enough algorithms.