User Tag List

First 12

Sorry, I did mean the surface. Well, the landmass in general. It's intriguing to think of how much the surface will change in the future. I often wonder how the life of Earth will handle that.

Doe the Earth's surface change in a cycle or is it random? Will it (the landmass) ever resemble what it use to be? Or will it always be something new?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Sorry, I did mean the surface. Well, the landmass in general. It's intriguing to think of how much the surface will change in the future. I often wonder how the life of Earth will handle that.

Doe the Earth's surface change in a cycle or is it random? Will it (the landmass) ever resemble what it use to be? Or will it always be something new?

Thanks.
    How it will handle it is a complex question with a complex answer. You get a more detailed answer in chronology when I write it.
    If you have a infinite amount of time then "repeating" is impossible to avoid. But the chnces aren't that the planet will exist forever.
    Well it appears that there is cycle that every 500 million years or so all continents merge into one huge landmass.

Here is the link to some picturs that are showing how the world should develope in the future

(this is simplistic view)

MBTI
    INTP

The continental drift always reminded me of ripples in a bowl...the rings spread to the side, then return to their origin, then spread again, then return. If you have a few going at once the pattern gets more complex.

I've also heard it described in terms of a football play.

"All the continents are lined up. Here's the snap...And Asia fades back with Europe blocking Africa. North America takes off downfield and South America follows close, that's good defensive cover right there. But Australia fakes Antarctica and gets clear, Asia winds up and tries to throw Japan to Australia but OHHHH India out of nowhere slips the defensive line and plows into Asia...Japan tumbles into the Pacific basin, and that's it, down at the 40th parallel. The special teams take the field and Italy sets up for an onsides kick."
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

You get a more detailed answer in chronology when I write it.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to reading it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Most of the information here I already knew by the time I was in Junior High. Then again, I was one of the very few kids interested in such things. By the way, I have yet to actually step foot into a Geology class.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IsTP

I've always loved this subject. More specifically for me life during the cambrian is just fascinating.

Cambrian explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    The Geologic Time periods, I love those. Thanks for a more in-depth than usual chart. I'm much more familiar with what they're calling the Phanerozoic Eon; I haven't really paid attention to the Precambrian stuff.
    Try this one, also. It's pretty neat and explains a bit more. CVO Menu - The Geologic Time Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    iLi

Fellow geology student!

*fist bump*
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Se>Fe>Si>Fi

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fucked you."

We shall form a clique.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.