User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default The Disappearing Male?

The Disappearing Male - Doc Zone | CBC-TV

The Disappearing Male

"'We are conducting a vast toxicological experiment in which our children and our children's children are the experimental subjects.' Dr. Herbert Needleman

The Disappearing Male is about one of the most important, and least publicized, issues facing the human species: the toxic threat to the male reproductive system.

The last few decades have seen steady and dramatic increases in the incidence of boys and young men suffering from genital deformities, low sperm count, sperm abnormalities and testicular cancer. Some researchers say that declining male fertility rates could be the first sign of extinction.
    At the same time, boys are now far more at risk of suffering from ADHD, autism, Tourette's syndrome, cerebral palsy, and dyslexia.

The Disappearing Male takes a close and disturbing look at what many doctors and researchers now suspect are responsible for many of these problems: a class of common chemicals that are ubiquitous in our world.

Found in everything from shampoo, sunglasses, meat and dairy products, carpet, cosmetics and baby bottles, they are called "hormone mimicking" or "endocrine disrupting" chemicals and they may be starting to damage the most basic building blocks of human development.

Facts about Male Infertility
    Sperm counts have been cut in half in the last fifty years - and 85% of that is abnormal.
    In the last few decades there has been a 200% increase in male genital birth defects.
    Male birth rates have declined. Since 1970 there have been nearly 3 million fewer baby boys... "

The Y chromosome gets smaller and smaller each generation.

Damn. The video links say "content currently unavailable."

Did they work at one time?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    IsTP

Bring on the polygamy!

I have a hard time stomaching radical theories like these without established references.

Facts about Male Infertility
    Sperm counts have been cut in half in the last fifty years - and 85% of that is abnormal.
    In the last few decades there has been a 200% increase in male genital birth defects.
    Male birth rates have declined. Since 1970 there have been nearly 3 million fewer baby boys... "
    Where were these facts gathered? Are these stats just 'exploding' becuase we now have more accurate tools to measure them by? 3 million fewer boys, is that based from a projected figure in the 70's? How does it compare to fertility in women?

Ugh, hogwash I say! Hogwash! No sources cited on the article, also it smacks of the whole 'buy natural, no chemicals, we're killing our planet' rhetoric.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know about what was cited in the article -- I would agree with you that those statistics are extremely ambiguous. Moreover, the part that Heart posted resorts to using conjoined statements to imply a connection, which is misleading and manipulative.

However, endocrine disruptors are very real. They've already caused all sorts of nasty shit, such as infertility in species and weakening of egg shells. As a result, many have already been lifted from the shelves, but there are hundreds of these chemicals that are still used every day, with unknown consequences. Furthermore, WWTPs aren't required to remove many of them, so they are simply released into streams. Besides the obvious environmental issue, if the WWTP is above a pumping station, they go right back into the water supply.

Here are a couple of resources that you may find more objective than the scare-tactics article above. Note that the term 'estrogens' is (essentially) synonymous with 'estrogenic compounds/chemicals.' These are part of a larger class of chemicals called endocrine disrupting compounds, EDCs.

1) Environmental Agents: Endocrine Disruptors
    2) Google Answers: estrogen
    3) Evidence for the migration of steroidal estrogens through riverbed sediments.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Only 3 million? We're gonna have to pump more endocrine disruptors into the environment to balance out the gender ratio imbalance in Asia.

MBTI
    ENTP

I can't wait for that to happen
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.
    Likes GIjade liked this post

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Until we find a better substitute to plastic, I don't think much is going to change-
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENFP

This is entirely feminisms fault.

</thread>

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Common knowledge for some time, I'd have said.

Survival of the fittest? I'm down with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.