• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Disappearing Male?

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Common knowledge for some time, I'd have said.

Survival of the fittest? I'm down with that.

Come on, this is by no means a regular "survival of the fittest" process. Survival of the fittest would describe the natural selection of males who were relatively unaffected by the chemicals, not the survival of the females over the males. Since this is supposed to be affecting the male reproductive system (not vital, day-to-day survival systems), the real consequence is upon the females just as much as the males. If we die out, so do you.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Another factor is the increased incidence of cannabis and alcohol use among young males both of which contribute to decreased testosterone levels and, in the case of cannabis, decreased sperm count. Alcohol will, over time, contribute to malformed sperm as well.

Bad news.

Actually when I read the title of the thread I thought it was referring to the number of young males who are fathering babies with women they will not be living with. Those kind of disappearing males.

Maybe, since this has become a noticeable trend, it's for the best that the sperm will be less viable?

heart

heart on fire
^ Why should men be singled out for punishment for this situation? Women allow it to go on as well. Normal, consensual sex is a fifty-fifty thing and there's so much birth control available these days. Blame for single parenthood cannot be laid at the feet of young men alone.

I'd personally hate to see a world with less masculinity in it.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Heart, your odd habit of twisting my posts into something to get indignant about is getting tiresome to me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think heart's more focused on the point of conception.. whereas Anja's more focused on when that said young man goes "..Oh shit, this iz real. Kthnxbai." Admittably, it can't be blamed entirely on the man since women agreeing to conception agree to ALL possible risks, but I've seen on more than one occasion a man be one person with sex as the possible outcome, and an entire different beast when faced with 18 years at least of potential parenting and burn out on the chick.

Getting back on topic though.. I couldn't imagine a world without men. I wouldn't want to even if I could.. It seems like everything is unhealthy for you now-a-days. Not having sunlight is unhealthy, having sunlight is unhealthy.. You'd think our bodies would have adapted to the most basic of the earth's elements.. I'm not one of those "radio waves from your cell phone kill brain cells!!" people, but I do think our lack of attention to detail to our own health and such is leading to problems.. Look at super-bacteria for example.

But what can we do? If we cure cancer, we'll all turn into zombies.. so I'm totally out of ideas.

heart

heart on fire
Heart, your odd habit of twisting my posts into something to get indignant about is getting tiresome to me.

I am not indignant, I am just saying I don't think lower sperm counts are something to view positively in the situation, as if men alone were responsible for single parent households. It's not always about you, it is about your words and the fact that it's something others have said and I didn't agree with it when they said it either and I feel like saying so.

You basically said that lower sperm counts might be a good thing in the face of rising single parenthood. That's a pretty strong statement with the onus directed at the male side of the equation. If you think to post strong statements online without having people disagree with you, then you don't understand forum dynamics.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
You basically said that lower sperm counts might be a good thing in the face of rising single parenthood.

... :huh: I had thought that to be a bit of sarcasm. If your intent was more serious, Anja, I apologize for taking it as a joke.

heart

heart on fire
I think heart's more focused on the point of conception.. whereas Anja's more focused on when that said young man goes "..Oh shit, this iz real. Kthnxbai." Admittably, it can't be blamed entirely on the man since women agreeing to conception agree to ALL possible risks, but I've seen on more than one occasion a man be one person with sex as the possible outcome, and an entire different beast when faced with 18 years at least of potential parenting and burn out on the chick.

Unless there's rape involved, women are agreeing to have sex with these men, knowing that the male is not committed to them. If this is the case, then sex is all the man is agreeing to and a woman ought to be wise enough to realize this. It's just reality.

heart

heart on fire
... :huh: I had thought that to be a bit of sarcasm. If your intent was more serious, Anja, I apologize for taking it as a joke.

Yes, but we talked on this board before about gender specific jokes and such. Just as women might get very weary of being called certain gender specific names, wouldn't men get tired of having these sorts of jokes so causually told all the time, as if all men are responsible for all the wrongs and evils of the world? Sperm alone does not create babies.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Unless there's rape involved, women are agreeing to have sex with these men, sometimes knowing that the male is not committed to them. If this is the case, then sex is all the man is agreeing to and a woman ought to be wise enough to realize this. It's just reality.

Fixed.

Sorry, but if you're implying that men are all upfront and honest with women, I'd have to kindly disagree with you. There are plenty of men that will say, and do anything to make a woman believe they are going to be there for them because the ultimate prize is sex. I never said that women can't say no, or that we can't demand birth control and condoms, etc etc. .. We're all capable of saying no, etc. But even a man you've been dating, that you're active with, can have a change of heart when the relationship goes from boyfriend/girlfriend to father/mother. I'm not saying it's right, but women are frequently duped with this beastly change.

For the record, this is NOT a male-bashing anything either. Like I said, we have responsibilities to be wary of anyone.. but being tricked is no fun, and it's pretty harsh. Rape is not the only way to get into a girl's pants. It's so much more legal and easier to trick her.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
:thinking:

I suspected we were in trouble when I started seeing guys with pink popped collars.

What happened to the good ol' days of clubbing and cave dragging.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yes, but we talked on this board before about gender specific jokes and such. Just as women might get very weary of being called certain gender specific names, wouldn't men get tired of having these sorts of jokes so causually told all the time, as if all men are responsible for all the wrongs and evils of the world? Sperm alone does not create babies.

>.o I wasn't validating anything said.. I merely was apologizing for the chance that I took something light hearted meant to be taken seriously. Even if I disagree, no one deserves to have their views turned into a total sarcastic joke and I don't always think ahead..I tend to think 2 minutes behind actually.

As to whether I agree.. I don't think men are the root of all evil, nor do I think women are saints. Trust in that, I disliked women for a long time for the countless things I've had done to me, or observed. It took too long for my heart to warm back up to them. I know we make it seem that way, and I'm sure that's frustrating for men. You're absolutely correct: sperm, a baby does not make.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:thinking:

I suspected we were in trouble when I started seeing guys with pink popped collars.

What happened to the good ol' days of clubbing and cave dragging.

XD!! Winnar!! .. My mother was playing Queer Eye on TV when I looked at this thread. >.o

heart

heart on fire
Fixed.

Sorry, but if you're implying that men are all upfront and honest with women, I'd have to kindly disagree with you. There are plenty of men that will say, and do anything to make a woman believe they are going to be there for them because the ultimate prize is sex. I never said that women can't say no, or that we can't demand birth control and condoms, etc etc. .. We're all capable of saying no, etc. But even a man you've been dating, that you're active with, can have a change of heart when the relationship goes from boyfriend/girlfriend to father/mother. I'm not saying it's right, but women are frequently duped with this beastly change.

For the record, this is NOT a male-bashing anything either. Like I said, we have responsibilities to be wary of anyone.. but being tricked is no fun, and it's pretty harsh. Rape is not the only way to get into a girl's pants. It's so much more legal and easier to trick her.

You must forgive me because I am old fashioned in this. I wouldn't accept anything less than marriage commitment (and even then wait a couple of years to see how well the marriage fits) before deciding to make a child with a man. This whole issue you raise above is why marriage was created. It wasn't really some SJ plan to take all the fun out of life. :D

I just watched too many cases where the woman got pregnant on purpose or chose to forgo birth control and then was puzzled when the boyfriend left. He never proved himself by making a binding commitment. So these women took a real gamble. They chose to gamble. They are part of the equation that led to their child being in a single parent situation. There's just no way around that.

If a woman doesn't wait for a man to prove with time and deeds that his words have merit, then she's part of the equation of single parenthood. When we ignore this reality we're brushing aside what our foremothers already learned and tried to tell us all but we thought they didn't know what orgasms were and that they were simply unimaginative squares.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
You must forgive me because I am old fashioned in this. I wouldn't accept anything less than marriage commitment (and even then wait a couple of years to see how well the marriage fits) before deciding to make a child with a man. This whole issue you raise above is why marriage was created. It wasn't really some SJ plan to take all the fun out of life. :D

I just watched too many cases where the woman got pregnant on purpose or chose to forgo birth control and then was puzzled when the boyfriend left. He never proved himself by making a binding commitment. So these women took a real gamble. They chose to gamble. They are part of the equation that led to their child being in a single parent situation. There's just no way around that.

If a woman doesn't wait for a man to prove with time and deeds that his words have merit, then she's part of the equation of single parenthood.

LOL!! :doh: All in all, this is the ultimate cause of single parents, is the lack of marriage. I think I was more talking about the current way younger people think and do things, which is the reality of the situation.. never to say that it's right.

I can't say that I'm that old fashioned when it comes to my views on sex.. I don't think it's this evil force until you marry, wherein it becomes acceptable. It is risky, but not to the point to ban it from your life. (What if you never do marry??) I suppose the clash simply came from younger views vs. that of traditional values.

heart

heart on fire
The frustrating thing is, the young women I've known who got pregnant before they were married admitted to not using birth control and it is so readily availble. A couple of them planned on the pregnancies. Never before in history have women had so much control over their own sexual expression so why won't they avail themselves of it.

But the blame for single parenthood is borne equally by both sexes. I don't want it to sound like I am blaming women alone!