User Tag List

First 1234 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Common knowledge for some time, I'd have said.

Survival of the fittest? I'm down with that.
    If the plastics are truly minicking hormones I am not so sure this would be a beneficial surivial of the fittest thing. It would be an unnatural aspect being introduced into human development.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Another aspect of this is probably lack of sun... Read in one of our national newspapers that Vitamin D is pretty damn important to male fertility.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Another aspect of this is probably lack of sun... Read in one of our national newspapers that Vitamin D is pretty damn important to male fertility.
    This is a good point. Modern living: daily bathing and fear of skin cancer is often said to be bringing our supply of vitamin D down and many argue that the daily recommended dose is inadequate.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I don't know about what was cited in the article --
    However, endocrine disruptors are very real. They've already caused all sorts of nasty shit, such as infertility in species and weakening of egg shells. As a result, many have already been lifted from the shelves, but there are hundreds of these chemicals that are still used every day, with unknown consequences. Furthermore, WWTPs aren't required to remove many of them, so they are simply released into streams. Besides the obvious environmental issue, if the WWTP is above a pumping station, they go right back into the water supply.

Here are a couple of resources that you may find more objective than the scare-tactics article above. Note that the term 'estrogens' is (essentially) synonymous with 'estrogenic compounds/chemicals.' These are part of a larger class of chemicals called endocrine disrupting compounds, EDCs.

1) Environmental Agents: Endocrine Disruptors
    2) Google Answers: estrogen
    3) Evidence for the migration of steroidal estrogens through riverbed sediments.
    Still a tough swallow, while I agree that said chemicals are bad I don't think the problem is by any means epidemic. Until I have conclusive evidence that the tap water and irrigation-fed products I'm consuming is breaking my testicles I don't think I'll switch to bottled water. Using one mildly polluted riverbed (not the water itself) in the UK just isn't enough.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    If the plastics are truly minicking hormones I am not so sure this would be a beneficial surivial of the fittest thing. It would be an unnatural aspect being introduced into human development.
    All developments are unnatural, at first.

Plastic men have their uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    This is a good point. Modern living: daily bathing and fear of skin cancer is often said to be bringing our supply of vitamin D down and many argue that the daily recommended dose is inadequate.
    Eh, definitely... It's probably why we westerners are ill all the time, too. Climate, habits, culture, tech... I hate lack of sun. Boy am I living in the wrong place for that... -_- I've got about 30 miles to the polar circle!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    All developments are unnatural, at first.

Plastic men have their uses.

Thinking nasty thoughts of that stormtrooper, don't ya?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

This is a point on which scientists disagree with. Male testeosterone levels are at their lowest during the summer, because ultraviolet radiation destroys a precursor of testosterone (this is one of the reasons why everybody at the tropics is black - very white people would become infertile due to excessive sun exposition). Also, many regions (like yours) where the sun radiation is of a low frequency have been inhabited since a long time.
    I can bring my own experience into the equation: I used to be a competitive cyclist (up almost to the pro level), and I still cycle a lot, thus I get a lot of sun in comparison to most people I know. I used to have to compulsorily give blood after some important races, and the testosterone levels where always at their lowest in august.

I think that one more thing is to be considered in the equation: an excessively sedentary lifestyle. That definitely decreases testosterone.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP

To think that this is all leading to asexual reproduction between females is by far the most retarded concept ever made. Also, it pushes the assumption that men are somehow not needed in society despite the fact that men built most of society.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I suppose eventually a certain minority of women will "finally" be happy.

Edit: na, they'll just find something else to bitch about
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Thinking nasty thoughts of that stormtrooper, don't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Nillerz View Post
    To think that this is all leading to asexual reproduction between females is by far the most retarded concept ever made. Also, it pushes the assumption that men are somehow not needed in society despite the fact that men built most of society.
    Talking of retarded concepts....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.