User Tag List

12311 Last

heart on fire

Default ~ Gone With The Wind ~

I decided this issue deserves it's own thread. Please address all issues related to GWTW and the characters therein, book and movie.

Was Melaine INFP or ISFP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    You mean Scarlett? Yes, that certainly applies.

But Melanie wasn't just a bookworm; she believed in her husband who, as you say, was an immature idiot with his head in the clouds; she wasn't just loyal to him or admire him because he was her husband, she met him in the realm of the mind and dreamed the same dreams.
    Agree. I feel Melanie as more INFP than anything else. She loves him idealistically like INFP would. It's also the type of dreams that they dream together.

Edit: I also think an INFP is the only type truly hopelessly idealistic enough to remain so deeply in-love with such a dimwitt!

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    ISFPs often do that in my experience--sharing dreams. They're very complex people but it's internal and because it's tied up in Fe, it's hard for them to express. I just think that if she were INFP, after the war you'd see her emerging as a different person...
    Melanie is a woman of the 1860s and she is also rather frail, pregnant but not built for it. We see her in the book as a young married woman when her life is consumed by marriage and family but she does speak out. She also acts out her ideals by volunteering in the hospital, she's not truly a passive wall flower. Since she dies early, we don't get to see her in the stage of life where Te would have developed stronger.

These points here aren't what make her N, it's her pie-eyed idealism over Ashley that convinces me. An ISFP would get fed up! Their Se would not allow them to keep up the illusion that Ashely wasn't rubber necking over Scarlett like Ne would!

Melanie Hamilton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"...Melanie harshly criticises their presence in the city, while more forces are needed at the front. Scarlett soon finds that, as passively as Melanie usually acts, she can become surprisingly passionate and even aggressive in support of her ideals..."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I saw it once a couple years ago, and thought Scarlett was probably ESFJ. I could maybe be talked out of it if yer a good talker.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I saw it once a couple years ago, and thought Scarlett was probably ESFJ. I could maybe be talked out of it if yer a good talker.
    She's an undeveloped ESTP who uses inferior Fe like a tool to manipulate people and her thinking to scheme. At the end of the book she's showing greater development of true Fe.

This is why there is such obsession between Ashley and Scarlett. He's a feeler with poor development of T and she's a thinker with poor development of F. jmo. He'd like her to P whip him like nobody's business but some self survivial mechanism keeps him returning to Melaine.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I guess I've known some ESFJs with inferior Fe as well!

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

I totally agree that Ashley's type is 'dimwit'.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I wish to counter! I think Scarlett was an acting-out Fi user, an ISTJ. I took Rhett for an ESTP. Hrm....

Melanie, have to say, Heart, you're dead on. I took her for INFP myself.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    My take is that he's INFP with really bad T development, it's just a slave to his Fi whims.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I wish to counter! I think Scarlett was an acting-out Fi user, an ISTJ. I took Rhett for an ESTP. Hrm....
    Well, we have to examine her deeper then and see what type of thinking she uses, Ti or Te. She does seem extraverted, that's made clear in the begining with the comparison with her father and his traits I think. She also seems very SP.

Rhett is an example of healthy ESTP.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    Seriously. He had to be an NFJ. That level of "noble" stupidity is just classic.

No noms for him.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    ^Hey, stop using your Fe for manipulative smilies.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I don't know what you're talking about.