• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

~ Gone With The Wind ~

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, poor Frank. He just wanted a happy home and what were the chances of that with Scarlett. :( No wonder Scarlett was so bitchy, she didn't have a very good pool of men to pick from. :cry: Ashley would probably be the most interesting to me but good grief....

That's because all the good ones were killed in the Waw-ah!

At least sex would be good with Rhett.

The lady makes an excellent point.

I've never seen 'Gone with the Wind', but I am a Southern Belle. :)

Does not compute. I may have to revoke your card. Who in the world could you possibly be basing your Bellie-ish Worldview upon, if not Scarlett?

heart

heart on fire
At least sex would be good with Rhett.

It might be pretty good with Ashley too, he's all romantic, probably a good cuddler, lots of foreplay. But one would have to get him out of his head first!

That's because all the good ones were killed in the Waw-ah!

More true than not! That's where all that Victorian-era quasi-lesbian love stuff and Boston marriages came from. Too many wars killing off all the men.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then you missed an important part of your training.

It's genetics! You never know, they had to base the character on someone else, right? ...even if I am stuck in California at the moment. :)

heart

heart on fire
I prefer Leslie Benedict from Giant as example of Southern Belle.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I prefer Leslie Benedict from Giant as example of Southern Belle.

I prefer Suzanne on Designing Women. :smile:

I actually really love Tennessee Williams' tortured Southern belles. Blanche DuBois and Maggie the Cat, especially.

It's actually been years since I've seen Giant. I'll have to do a rewatch.

heart

heart on fire
Leslie Benedict possible ENFJ. She seems a dominant feeler, extraverted and idealistic.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
It might be pretty good with Ashley too, he's all romantic, probably a good cuddler, lots of foreplay. But one would have to get him out of his head first!

Ashley Wilkes a cuddler who was good at foreplay? NO. He was about chivalry and honor, not sensuality.

Although the scene with him chopping wood before he grabbed Scarlett was pretty hot, he always seemed like a guy who performed because his wife wanted a baby. His fantasies were more real to him than the women around him.

Actually I could imagine his having good sex with his wife while imagining Scarlett, really getting into it if it's forbidden. Marital sex would be too darn tame.

More true than not! That's where all that Victorian-era quasi-lesbian love stuff and Boston marriages came from. Too many wars killing off all the men.

Boston marriage? I learned something tonight.

heart

heart on fire
I just picture Rhett growing into a guy who gets lazy, saying "wake *&^%?" aka you might be a redneck type jargon.

You note I said "one would have to get Ashley out of his head first." Melaine could. INFP are sneaky about their slumbering sexuality.

There was a whole movement in Victorian times for women having "passionate friendships" where they would exhange letters full of gushing romantic, passionate phrases. An example is Emily Dickenson and her sister-in-law Susan.

It was just accepted and not thought much of. Some lived together in supposed celibate Boston marriages.

But alas they sent Oscar Wilde into hard labor and ruined his health for his loves. :(

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heart lured me in here to weigh in on Ashley Wilkes:

:yeuch: sums it up.

spineless, gutless, wonder.

Also ISFP

Scarlett is the only creature in the book/film worth a damn and she's a bastard.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Watching the movie right now (I know, so girly :alttongue:) and I'm wondering about the types in the movie. Scarlett was still up for debate in this thread and I'd also love to hear what people think of Belle Watson, as well as some of the other characters :)

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Gone with the Wind

I just watched this movie for like the gazillionth time with my roommate. I read the book back in high school too. It's one of my guilty pleasures...

Scarlett O'Hara: ESTP
Rhett Butler: ENTP (though the movie version has some ESTP areas)
Ashley Wilkes: INFJ
Melanie Hamilton: ISFJ
Mammy: ESFJ
Mrs. O'Hara: ENFJ
Mr. O'Hara: ENFP (this is a lot more evident in the book than the movie)
Suellen: ESTJ
Careen: INFP
Charles Hamilton: ISFP
Aunt Pittypat: ISTJ
Frank Kennedy: ISFJ
Belle Watling: ENFP

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I read it in my early teens; totally fell in love. Can't watch or read it again though, otherwise it'd ruin it. The sequel sucks.

Rhett: what about ENTJ?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I read it in my early teens; totally fell in love. Can't watch or read it again though, otherwise it'd ruin it. The sequel sucks.

I'm not even going to bother with the sequel. MM didn't even write it...just seems silly to me.

Rhett: what about ENTJ?

No way. ENTJs are leaders who rely on optimizing and structuring the world around them in a way that will efficiently accomplish their goals.

Rhett, on the other hand, is whimsical and has no real goals outside of having fun. He seems to be completely adverse to structure and power and lives according to a "live and let live" agenda. He just wants people to stay out of his way enough for him to fulfill his own interests/desires, and he gains basically every one of his desires by just winging it.

I don't see any Te from him at all. Just a lot of Pe.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rhett is an ENTP. It's pretty obvious IMO. I love this story!
love love love! I know you said you didn't want to read the sequel (Scarlett?)
But I read and own "Rhett Butler's People" which is Gone With The Wind and slightly afterwards from the perspective of Rhett. I loved it! If you have the chance, I believe it is worth the read :)
Or I could be totally wrong and you'll hate it.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
i love gone with the wind!!! :)

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Melanie Wilkes is INFX, IMHO. It's stated fairly on in the book, the Wilkes and Hamiltons inhabit a bit of a dream world. I can't exactly say for Charles Hamilton....likey to be an NF too. Bear in mind I'm typing straight from the book.
Aunt Pittypat is no T either, what with her fainting spells, and dramatics.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Melanie Wilkes is INFX, IMHO. It's stated fairly on in the book, the Wilkes and Hamiltons inhabit a bit of a dream world. I can't exactly say for Charles Hamilton....likey to be an NF too. Bear in mind I'm typing straight from the book.
Aunt Pittypat is no T either, what with her fainting spells, and dramatics.

I think the book version of Melanie is much more INFJ while the movie version is ISFJ (she is definitely no where near INFP though; she's all Fe). The movie makes Melanie look like an oblivious fool who consistently lets Scarlett take advantage of her compassion. Ni doms would see right through that, while Si doms would be a lot less willing to let go of their original impressions of someone, especially if the first impression is a good one.

The book, on the other hand, makes it seem like Melanie is much more aware of Scarlett's ill opinion of Melanie and her romantic interests in Ashley, and in general, Melanie understands Scarlett's perspective much more. In the book, Melanie seems to try to be the bigger person and maintain compassion towards anyone, despite Scarlett's ill opinion of her.

re: Aunt Pittypat:

Just because faint starts with the letter "F" doesn't mean you have to be an F to faint. That's a silly argument.

She gets worked up easily whenever attention is drawn to herself and something disrupts her typical daily life's structure. She is opposed to novelty and thrives on security and playing it safe (Si).

Thinking about it, I could see a case for ISFJ if you were to associate her constant anxiety over her reputation and maintaining others' proper perceptions of her with Fe. However, saying she faints and is thus not a T is a bit silly. Her fainting spells are consistently due to Si, which is a function of both T and F types.

I thought I saw Te in her with how structured and organized she keeps her affairs and how worked up she gets at the idea of her life's structure being interrupted and losing control of the situation, but I could entertain the idea of an ISFJ as well.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty good...I think Melanie is an INFP in the book and Careen is ISFJ. Careen is disciplined where Melanie is actually pretty go-with-the-flow unless it comes to something she feels strongly about. I don't see Ne in Careen either.

I don't think Melanie and Ashley are the same type, and I agree he is INFJ. His INFJ is a great contrast to Scarlet's ESTP. It really emphasizes how opposite they are & why they have a weird draw to each other. Melanie has a light, playfulness to her at times that says Pe-aux to me though.

Now in the movie, she is more ISFJ. The book presents her as less saccharine.

Scarlett O'Hara: ESTP
Rhett Butler: ENTP
Ashley Wilkes: INFJ
Melanie Hamilton: INFP
Mammy: ESFJ
Mrs. O'Hara: ENFJ - ? I can't remember her character...
Mr. O'Hara: ENFP
Suellen: ESTJ
Careen: ISFJ
Charles Hamilton: eSFP
Aunt Pittypat: ISFJ
Frank Kennedy: ISFJ
Belle Watling: ESFP