• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

~ Gone With The Wind ~

heart

heart on fire
I decided this issue deserves it's own thread. Please address all issues related to GWTW and the characters therein, book and movie. :)

Was Melaine INFP or ISFP? :unsure:

You mean Scarlett? :devil: Yes, that certainly applies.

But Melanie wasn't just a bookworm; she believed in her husband who, as you say, was an immature idiot with his head in the clouds; she wasn't just loyal to him or admire him because he was her husband, she met him in the realm of the mind and dreamed the same dreams.

Agree. I feel Melanie as more INFP than anything else. She loves him idealistically like INFP would. It's also the type of dreams that they dream together.

Edit: I also think an INFP is the only type truly hopelessly idealistic enough to remain so deeply in-love with such a dimwitt!

ISFPs often do that in my experience--sharing dreams. They're very complex people but it's internal and because it's tied up in Fe, it's hard for them to express. I just think that if she were INFP, after the war you'd see her emerging as a different person...

Melanie is a woman of the 1860s and she is also rather frail, pregnant but not built for it. We see her in the book as a young married woman when her life is consumed by marriage and family but she does speak out. She also acts out her ideals by volunteering in the hospital, she's not truly a passive wall flower. Since she dies early, we don't get to see her in the stage of life where Te would have developed stronger.

These points here aren't what make her N, it's her pie-eyed idealism over Ashley that convinces me. An ISFP would get fed up! Their Se would not allow them to keep up the illusion that Ashely wasn't rubber necking over Scarlett like Ne would!

Melanie Hamilton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"...Melanie harshly criticises their presence in the city, while more forces are needed at the front. Scarlett soon finds that, as passively as Melanie usually acts, she can become surprisingly passionate and even aggressive in support of her ideals..."

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I saw it once a couple years ago, and thought Scarlett was probably ESFJ. I could maybe be talked out of it if yer a good talker.

heart

heart on fire
I saw it once a couple years ago, and thought Scarlett was probably ESFJ. I could maybe be talked out of it if yer a good talker.

She's an undeveloped ESTP who uses inferior Fe like a tool to manipulate people and her thinking to scheme. At the end of the book she's showing greater development of true Fe.

This is why there is such obsession between Ashley and Scarlett. He's a feeler with poor development of T and she's a thinker with poor development of F. jmo. He'd like her to P whip him like nobody's business but some self survivial mechanism keeps him returning to Melaine.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I guess I've known some ESFJs with inferior Fe as well!

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
I totally agree that Ashley's type is 'dimwit'. :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wish to counter! :) I think Scarlett was an acting-out Fi user, an ISTJ. I took Rhett for an ESTP. Hrm....

Melanie, have to say, Heart, you're dead on. I took her for INFP myself.

heart

heart on fire

My take is that he's INFP with really bad T development, it's just a slave to his Fi whims.

I wish to counter! :) I think Scarlett was an acting-out Fi user, an ISTJ. I took Rhett for an ESTP. Hrm....

Well, we have to examine her deeper then and see what type of thinking she uses, Ti or Te. She does seem extraverted, that's made clear in the begining with the comparison with her father and his traits I think. She also seems very SP.

Rhett is an example of healthy ESTP.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Seriously. He had to be an NFJ. That level of "noble" stupidity is just classic.

No noms for him.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:) I don't :) know what :) you're :) talking :) about.

heart

heart on fire
Seriously. He had to be an NFJ. That level of "noble" stupidity is just classic.

No noms for him.

1. I didn't crush on his character! So right there that's suspect.

2. Male NFJ seem to have feel for the darker underside to things, always "something rotten in Demark" ...

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Heart said:
My take is that he's INFP with really bad T development, it's just a slave to his Fi whims.

PinkPiranha said:

I could go either way on Ashley- whatever he was, he definitely had an unbalanced dominant introverted function. I think he lacked Se/Te, which is why he loved Scarlett's vitality so much...

But I'd go more with INFJ than INFP... *kicks Ashley in the pants for bringing down the INF team*

I adore Melanie... delicate on the outside, but strong as a horse when it counted.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. I didn't crush on his character! So right there that's suspect.

2. Male NFJ seem to have feel for the darker underside to things, always "something rotten in Demark" ...

Perhaps I was mistaken! *rubs chin thoughtfully*

You know what, some might say that that "crushing" thing was silly, but I do it too! It's an excellent gauge! And it's automatic. It helps me sort people out.

"Theoretically, would I be hot for him?"

[yes/no] = answer: No.

"Theoretically, would my sister be hot for him?"

[yes/no] = answer: Yes...

"Is he Fi or Fe?"...

[Fi/Fe] = answer: Fi...

"Is he extroverted or introverted?"

[e/i] = answer: moderate E playing it cool...

"Intuitive or Sensor?"

[n/s] = answer: N...

"He's an ENTJ..."

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
LOL That's why I thought O'Hara was ESFJ.

Can I see myself in the same room as this person?

No.

"ESFJ."

heart

heart on fire
To Pink: yes, feeler logic "would I crush on him?" can tell a lot but no one else will believe it!

This is interesting theory about him being perhaps a moderate E, I need to find my copy and re-read. There may yet be a chance to knock at least one blemish off the INF face here! :)

But I doubt it. If he were ENTJ he'd at least be logical. :(

Edit: Remembering what Blue Wing said in his INFJ profile (he's actually quoting Jung) maybe you are right the first time, Ashley is that crank. He's totally off the wall on some of his ideals. INFJ with poor Ti/Se development it is!

To Mr. Flak: How does she scheme so well if she's immature F? Immature T makes more sense.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh! Oops!! I didn't mean Rhett or Ashley were ENTJ!! hahaha! whoopsie! I had in my mind this other guy I was figuring out once and the train of thought it took. I should have clarified! D'oh!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've confused everyone! Candy for all!

heart

heart on fire
Oh! Oops!! I didn't mean Rhett or Ashley were ENTJ!! hahaha! whoopsie! I had in my mind this other guy I was figuring out once and the train of thought it took. I should have clarified! D'oh!

Oh Sorry! :blush::doh: :D