User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    He's in the book, so that makes him a character, whether or not he is also a real historical figure.
    Speaking of splitting hairs!

MBTI
    INFJ

Ashley Wilkes is a deeply flawed INFJ (opposite of Rhett's ESTP). He's deep in his own thoughts and feelings, not field marshaling as an ENTJ would be. He hates war and he can't stand up to the women in his life. Disagree he's E at all. The guy would be quite happy living in a library and he's certainly more introverted than his wife.

Edit - sorry I spent so much time on my GWTW book report I missed Pink's clarification.
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 10-10-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: clarified
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Ashley Wilkes is a deeply flawed INFJ (opposite of Rhett's ESTP). He's deep in his own thoughts and feelings, not field marshaling as an ENTJ would be. He hates war and he can't stand up to the women in his life. Disagree he's E at all. The guy would be quite happy living in a library and he's certainly more introverted than his wife.
    Agreed! What do you make of Scarlett?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post

Edit - sorry I spent so much time on my GWTW book report I missed Pink's clarification.
    That's interesting, about them being so opposite they fit so well into the MBTI types that are also so opposite. It puts a further light on Ashley representing the old South and Rhett the aggressive, oppurtunist North.

I wonder who MM knew that she based Ashley's character on?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Dadlammed carpetbaggers!

MBTI
    INTP

I haven't really given a lot of thought to what types the characters were, but here's my read on them:

Ashley: Complete wimp, undeserving of even a manipulative witch like Scarlett.

Scarlett: I would absolutely hate her if I knew her IRL, but I grudgingly came to respect her. Being a Southern woman, I still don't understand why so many Southern chicks think she's so great.

Melanie: Completely one-dimensional until it came time for her to die. Then I sort of liked her. Wished she and her husband had a spine to share between them.

Rhett: Can't help but like him, but a little smooth for my tastes.

I think about the only character I didn't want to strangle was Belle Watling.

MBTI
    ISTx

I always called my mom's movies "poofy dress movies". Pride and Prejudice, Gone With The Wind, Anne of Green Gables, Emma, Mansfield Park, etc. I guess I meant it derogatorily but now a days, I love those corseted dresses.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I haven't really given a lot of thought to what types the characters were, but here's my read on them:

Ashley: Complete wimp, undeserving of even a manipulative witch like Scarlett.

Scarlett: I would absolutely hate her if I knew her IRL, but I grudgingly came to respect her. Being a Southern woman, I still don't understand why so many Southern chicks think she's so great.

Melanie: Completely one-dimensional until it came time for her to die. Then I sort of liked her. Wished she and her husband had a spine to share between them.

Rhett: Can't help but like him, but a little smooth for my tastes.

I think about the only character I didn't want to strangle was Belle Watling.
    From the book or the movie, just curious.

I never liked Rhett, too reptilian for me. Scarlett irritated me but I can appreciate the crafting of the character in the book. Melanie in the book is the more typical Southern Belle in my view, appears soft and yielding until she's pushed on and loyally loving to a fault.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I always called my mom's movies "poofy dress movies". Pride and Prejudice, Gone With The Wind, Anne of Green Gables, Emma, Mansfield Park, etc. I guess I meant it derogatorily but now a days, I love those corseted dresses.
    The dresses in Pride and Prejudice are Regency style (roughly1795-1820) (back to nature and fabric was more expensive because of all the war going on then) and much more to my tastes. I really like those dresses and could actually imagine wearing them.

Can one imagine wearing all those mid- 1800s corsets and petticoats in the heat of the South?

I mean in the early part of the 1800s they were coming out of what was called the "little ice age" and temps were cooler but even so, all those clothes ugh.

Don't even mention the fashions from the mid-1700s, they just looked inhuman, like people were trying to prove they weren't even human. I love the history of those time periods but would hate to have to wear the clothes, even the men layered themselves in a lot of really confining fashions. ugh ugh ugh ugh!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I think the confinement plus the sore lack of sanitation = Oh No Way...