User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 82

Thread: Michael Moore

  1. #31
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Michael Moore is like the inverse of Dennis Miller to me...

    Dennis Miller, I rarely ever agree with, but I think he does a good job getting his points across eloquently. I disagree with virtually every statement he states, but he's entertaining and can bring up valid arguments that I have to carefully consider.

    Michael Moore, on the other hand, is heavily sensationalistic, and although I agree with most of his concepts, I feel he mostly just ends up doing so in such a way that the only thing he's capable of doing is preaching to the choir. His style is one which creates fanatics out of those who already believed, and just chases those who don't believe further away by his flawed reasoning, poor judgement, and terribly overdone and often rude forms of interviews. He's about the last person I want on my side, because he kills the message so effortlessly. I think I'd be better off if he were not on my side most of the time.

    About the only thing Michael Moore can be completely credited with, is being like Al Gore; he goes in such an outlandish manner, that he draws attention to topics that need to be looked at. By doing so in such a controversial way, it pulls it into the spotlight, and whether I like that or not, it's how society works right now. Anyone remember whot started the "ZOMG TRANSFATS!!!!!!" craze? Some lawyer sued OREO COOKIES for being UNHEALTHY. Well REALLY, who would've thought cookies wouldn't be healthy >.>; But it was so outlandish and ridiculous, and really rather stupid, that it got massive media attention, which was the whole point. It wasn't even aimed to be against oreo at all, the guy didn't even care, and he liked oreo cookies, but they were an obvious target and made headlines because of the absurdity.

    This is how the western world works, though I'm not sure about elsewhere. It's stupid for the most part, and I'd much rather know about topics based on VALIDITY rather than how sensationalistic the news can broadcast it for more ratings... but whot can yeu do. Unless yeu make a huge fuss out of nothing, yeu'll never get yeur message public.

    So as much as I hate Moore's tactics, his overall strategy at getting the topic publicity in general is sound. Sure he kills his own side of the argument in the process, but once there's enough people who actually know WTH they're talking about, they can usually drown out his horrible initial representation.

    Unfortunately, those who are against the ideas, will point to him as an example of why the other side's wrong, even if it's obvious to both sides the guy's clueless. He's not doing it to be right, or prove a point, he's doing it to get attention for a topic, and he excells at that one task. Beyond that though, he fails hardcore. If people would stop being retarded and needing to have people dance like absurd monkies before they even stop to listen, we wouldn't need this kind of pathetic 'journalism'.

    But sadly we do.

    That being said, accept that Moore has a topic he wants brought to light, but ignore practically every word he says. Virtually all of it's misquoted, misrepresented, misunderstood, or just flat out wrong. And it makes anyone who actually knows about the topic at hand annoyed when they get compared to him.

  2. #32
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    As for Michael Moore.. he does have strong beliefs but he is willing to tweak the facts a little bit to make what he says sound more true.
    I'd say he's an INFP.

    I think he's largely motivated by Fi and then uses Ne to publicize his ideas.

    I can respect Moore for being a bright guy who has a reasonably good vision on how to change the world for the better- I just think some of his methods are a little sketchy and actually destroy his argument on closer examination... not that most Americans would want to bother closely examining the facts he brings out in the first place.. which kind of helps him or hurts him because it's either..

    A.) MICHAEL MOORE IS A LIBERAL I HATE HIM
    or
    B.) MICHAEL MOORE IS A LIBERAL I LOVE HIM
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

  3. #33
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Here's why I don't buy ENFP - compare him to Woody Guthrie, a clear ENFP. Both men were inspired by an economic collapse and the plight of the working man. However, Guthrie drew his inspiration from grand principles and visions of universal truth and harmony - a clear Fi. Moore isn't like that - he's very issues-oriented, and most of his inspiration comes from the fact that the people he cares about are being screwed over.

    Ni can be wacky and off the wall, too - if you're motivated to bring it to the outside world without concern over its effects. Moore feels like he's obligated to do whatever he can to help the ones he cares about, no matter what it takes. It isn't about a grand principle, it's about actual people. This tells me J over P.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    I don't think Moore is an intuitive. Actually, the only function I'm sure is correct is that he's an F.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #35
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    I generally like him. He's got balls and Hollywood cant dictate to him. Some of his tactics I don't. I didn't like in the Bowling for Columbine when he was doing the picture of the dead girl sneak attack at an old Charleston Hesstons home. 9/11 I didn't think he went far enough. Sicko had its good parts but was not as entertaining. Look forward to his next movie addressing where did the 1/2 trillion bailout money go (answer no body knows for sho).

    Compared to the neocons tactics MMoore is the patron saint of journalistic integrity.

  6. #36
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think Moore is an intuitive. Actually, the only function I'm sure is correct is that he's an F.
    His movies are more about message than imagery

  7. #37
    Senior Member Happyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    What do you think of him and his ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Risen thinks so because he's a libertarian.

    I think Michael Moore deserves respect. Though sometimes I think he overplays and does the histrionics thing. Like it's about him, his performance. That's irritating. I'm a liberal, and I think Michael Moore might be the sort of liberal that I actually do not get along with IRL. But he's also extremely focused and active politically and I can't help but respect that.

    He does good things. Nobody is perfect.
    'Historionics' is a good term. I enjoy watching his movies, yet I usually disagree with him (OK, he had me with 'Bowling for Columbine', I'm not a gun-fan). He simply lies (I don't think it's too big a word), sometimes. Like for instance with presenting French healthcare system. You usually pay there for a doctor visit - I have family there, so I know the situation pretty well. I think he's more of a journalist then a philosopher/ideologist. He messes up the big picture, yet he's amazing in revealing some little scams etc.

    Also he's doing everything to appear to be 'as everybody else'. He tries to dress like an average American (stereotypical, I mean), each time he eats on screen it's always some hamburger and coke. He's absolutely amazing with with creating his image.

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    What do you think his type is?

    I don't know him well enough to type. But if I were to go with my gut, I'd say ENTP or ENFP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    hes a fucking ENFP. he has ridiculous Ne ideas that lead him on wild goose chases, and he never bothers to tie up the loose ends (to him, simple linkage is enough to imply entire conspiracies). He is completely driven by Fi and never bothers to answer the question when interviewed. He is the king of fallacies of relevance.
    As for the type I'd agree with ENFP (ENFJ maybe?). He has amazing people skills. Just watch any of his documents (especially the early ones), he makes people like him in seconds. I think that's why he's so popular too.
    Oh, and if you add this what I've written about him being a journalist, I think it's safe to say he's ENFP.
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

    I started a real blog!

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    His movies are more about message than imagery
    This. He's totally an N.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    His movies are more about message than imagery
    So what? That's not evidence that he's an intuitive. I think he's an SJ on a mission...logic be damned.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #40
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So what? That's not evidence that he's an intuitive. I think he's an SJ on a mission...logic be damned.
    Can you explain why you think he's SJ?

Similar Threads

  1. Sir Roger Moore
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM
  2. Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV
    By Jack Flak in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
  3. Michael Phelpz
    By augmented in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
  4. Michael Turner (comic book artist) Dead
    By Totenkindly in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
  5. Michael Savage
    By MetalWounds in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO