• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Seth MacFarlane

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
All I know is that I really don't enjoy Family Guy.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The older the season, the better. Used to love Family Guy...

Anyway, INTP sounds like it fits him.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The older the season, the better. Used to love Family Guy...

Anyway, INTP sounds like it fits him.

Yeah, the older seasons were tolerable, although still not clever enough to count among my favorites. Now, though, the show is just not funny.

I don't know if it's just me, but I have never understood why people thought so well of FG. I once tried to ask this guy who was a total fan to explain to me why the ten minute fight scene between Peter and a man dressed in a chicken suit (random, and I don't remember the episode or season) was funny, but he failed to make it clear to me. I mean, it was totally unrelated to the plot, random, and went on far too long to preserve any momentary humor that the randomness may have produced. It served no purpose and seemed to me to be a pretty lame gimmick to get laughs from idiots. And the thing is, this wasn't an isolated incident. It is in fact a running format (or schema) for a lot of the jokes in the show.

Sorry if I have offended fans of the show, but I had to vent because I was just talking with someone IRL about it and felt that I needed to continue the conversation onto this forum.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Orangey, I know the scene you're talking about, and it is relatively funny, but there are better scenes in the show. Peter vs. Chicken is funny because it is disjointed from the rest of the plot.

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Orangey, I know the scene you're talking about, and it is relatively funny, but there are better scenes in the show. Peter vs. Chicken is funny because it is disjointed from the rest of the plot.

Anyway, I can't believe I didn't remember this sooner, but...Futurama! Seth MacFarlane is the maker of Futurama, if I remember correctly, and it's better overall than Family Guy.

Wrong! Matt Groening created Futurama. Seth McFarlane is responsible for that other real winner, American Dad :thumbdown:.

And I can appreciate random stuff outside of the plot as a humorous device, but you have to time it well so that it's subtle and not so noticeable. The Peter vs Chicken went on FAR too long, and appeared too much like a blatant gimmick.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh yeah, that was it. Matt Groening did Futurama and the Simpsons, those were the two shows. I'll edit it out.

You know they love to show Peter's flashbacks. Have you seen the episode where he has a flashback of something that just took place about 30 seconds ago in the show? That was funny, and you can only use that kind of trick once.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Oh yeah, that was it. Matt Groening did Futurama and the Simpsons, those were the two shows. I'll edit it out.

You know they love to show Peter's flashbacks. Have you seen the episode where he has a flashback of something that just took place about 30 seconds ago in the show? That was funny, and you can only use that kind of trick once.

No, it's been a while since I watched any episodes, and as you can probably guess I am no great watcher of the show. I think I've only seen through season one and some scattered episodes of the latest seasons. So I don't know if the trick you're talking about is actually funny or not.

It sounds like it would work though, that it'd be funny. But if they overdid it, or overemphasized it (as is the show's tendency), then it would lose it's hilarity real fast.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
As a comment, I think Brian is an INTP- who Seth MacFarlane reminds me the most of the Family Guy characters.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As a comment, I think Brian is an INTP- who Seth MacFarlane reminds me the most of the Family Guy characters.

Yes, I think that (by and large) Brian (personality-wise) is essentially just Seth MacFarlane, their voices are even the same.