User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Kierkegaard

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Bufo View Post
    With the only different opinion so far, explanation demands.
    I protest that I'm the only person who has to explain their assestment.

In most other discussion I've read on this issue, he's been classified as INFJ. Much of his writings and his biography does protray an INFJ nature.

This is further seen through the many personality-philosophical similarities he shares with many famous INFJ thinkers and writers: Dostoevsky, Buber, Shestov, Berdyaev, etc. I've already posted Shestov's commentary on the similarities between him and Dostoevsky, even referring to Kierkegaard as Dostoevsky's double.

Of course, I will point out that many of his INFJ admirers have criticised him on many accounts. Buber critiqued Kierkegaard's notion of the suspension of the Ethical, and Shestov claimed Kierkegaard didn't go far enough in his radical sense of faith. But then again, this need not relate to type at all; since the INFJ Solzhenitsyn criticised Dostoevsky on many accounts, despite his great admiration for the 19th century figure.

The constant theme of paradox that runs through Kierkegaard's writing is a common one found among INFJs, or rather Ni types in general. This is especially seen in this remark of his:

"The thinker without paradox is like a lover without feelings. The supreme paradox of all thought is the attempt to discover something that thought cannot think."

As for his biography. I'm not in the mood to get into any details at the moment. I do have Garff's 800+ page biography of him, and there's plenty of information about his personal life.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

In most other discussion I've read on this issue, he's been classified as INFJ. Much of his writings and his biography does protray an INFJ nature.

This is further seen through the many personality-philosophical similarities he shares with many famous INFJ thinkers and writers: Dostoevsky, Buber, Shestov, Berdyaev, etc. I've already posted Shestov's commentary on the similarities between him and Dostoevsky, even referring to Kierkegaard as Dostoevsky's double.

Of course, I will point out that many of his INFJ admirers have criticised him on many accounts. Buber critiqued Kierkegaard's notion of the suspension of the Ethical, and Shestov claimed Kierkegaard didn't go far enough in his radical sense of faith. But then again, this need not relate to type at all; since the INFJ Solzhenitsyn criticised Dostoevsky on many accounts, despite his great admiration for the 19th century figure.

The constant theme of paradox that runs through Kierkegaard's writing is a common one found among INFJs, or rather Ni types in general. This is especially seen in this remark of his:

"The thinker without paradox is like a lover without feelings. The supreme paradox of all thought is the attempt to discover something that thought cannot think."

As for his biography. I'm not in the mood to get into any details at the moment. I do have Garff's 800+ page biography of him, and there's plenty of information about his personal life.
    That's interesting. INFP.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well, not everyone is asked for an explanation for their assessment, number of persons from whom it's expected is even less.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    That's interesting. INFP.
    Oh that's so cute!

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    His bio and works scream INFP.
    Only an INFP would break up with someone they loved "to save" them from the INFP's miserible persona and then spend a lifetime mooning over them. So dramaticlly self-indulgent and Fi.

My brain hurts today, but I'll come back and post some of his thoughts that I think are just totally INFP.

BlueWing makes a good argument for Kierkegaard being INFP in his INFP profile.

If we say he's like Dostoevsky, maybe Dostoevsky is an INFP, like Kierkegaard?

heart on fire

Dostoevsky INFJ, Kierkegaard INFP. Both NF, but different.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Dostoevsky INFJ, Kierkegaard INFP. Both NF, but different.
    Yes.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    ENTP

INFJ.
    You can call me Charles.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i'm surprised to see that when this thread returns, my thoughts have shifted.

his story about the woman seems Fe to me more than Fi. it seems like a story of not knowing how you feel, losing center, hearing so much noise you can no longer accurately grasp the context, fucking it up, and then watching the picture come into focus and realizing what you've lost.

i don't know his writing well, tho, yet i do think his line of inquiry seems more infj than infp. fear and trembling seems like an attempt to clarify the wanderings of Ni, the vague foggy abstractions in which we lose our sense of the world, in which our moods become thick and opaque and we can't see the world as it is.

plus, as an added bonus, he employs the classic infj writing mediums for his best work, letters and essays vs characters.