• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In a Book Slump: Any Suggestions?

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey, Krusty Krew!

I've been in a reading slump. It's been ages since I've come across anything new that's good. I keep revisiting my favorite old classics (Lord of the Rings, Pride and Prejudice, East of Eden, The Once and Future King, among others) because nothing new has been able to meet my high (maybe even snobbish) standards.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I like all genres, but good writing is paramount. Good literature doesn't sacrifice form for plot, and vice versa.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
do you like autobiographies/memoirs about cult survivors because i have a few recommendations

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you tried philosophy? I think you might like Dostoevsky. I would say try 'Crime and Punishment'

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
do you like autobiographies/memoirs about cult survivors because i have a few recommendations

I would totally read those! Suggest away!

- - - Updated - - -

middlemarch
Middlemarch - Wikipedia
(george eliot is a pseudonym of a woman whose name escapes me now while i'm on that note.)

I've always wanted to read Middlemarch, so maybe it's time I give it a shot. It's added to my list. Thanks!

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Have you tried philosophy? I think you might like Dostoevsky. I would say try 'Crime and Punishment'

I DO like philosophy. My favorite is Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault. Seriously eye-opening stuff about the rule of bureaucracy, and very chilling.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
If you don't mind violence, you may enjoy something by Cormac McCarthy. I've read The Road and No Country for Old Men, and am currently working through Blood Meridian. If you like books on travel, I would highly recommend some of Paul Theroux or Bill Bryson's works.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nature and Selected Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson is one of my favourite books and I would recommend it to anyone alive. I think I heard somewhere that Emerson is read in American schools...is this true?

He talks about everything in there...you could call it philosophy but that would be a dirty word to use for something so pure. One of the few books I can come back to time and time again and get something new out of. Cause it's really just distilled wisdom and great to reflect and contemplate on life. It makes your pubes grow as well as your beard.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Siddhartha By Hermann Hesse , I love so much about this book

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am suggesting Charles Dickens

cuz I love his books.

A Tale of Two Cities
Oliver Twist
maybe even Great Expectations.

:)

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Nature and Selected Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson is one of my favourite books and I would recommend it to anyone alive. I think I heard somewhere that Emerson is read in American schools...is this true?

He talks about everything in there...you could call it philosophy but that would be a dirty word to use for something so pure. One of the few books I can come back to time and time again and get something new out of. Cause it's really just distilled wisdom and great to reflect and contemplate on life. It makes your pubes grow as well as your beard.

We definitely read Emerson in American schools, and you're right--his writing is inspiring. You can turn to any page and point to any random quote of his, and it is guaranteed gold. Thoreau is the same way. They were actually contemporaries.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
I am suggesting Charles Dickens

cuz I love his books.

A Tale of Two Cities
Oliver Twist
maybe even Great Expectations.

:)

Totally love Dickens. Great Expectations and Our Mutual Friend are my faves.

- - - Updated - - -

Will most definitely check those out! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Siddhartha By Hermann Hesse , I love so much about this book

Tell me about it! Why do you love it?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Also, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. Or Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon.

Lark

I would suggest you consider the sci fi and fantasy masterworks, The Iron Dragons Daughter, Replay, Fevre Dream, most recently The Demolished Man, before that Ubik, Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch but in the main I would recommend all of Philip K Dick's books Dr Bloodmoney, The Cosmic Puppets, Time Out of Joint (personal favourite) but I found Androids Dream of Electric Sheep disappointing (everything which is great about that movie is a product of the director and the actors) and Scanner Darkly I didnt read.

The Divine Invasion is a fantastic book if you like pseudo-spiritual reads, God returns from an exile on a hill in Mars, it explains brilliantly how he came to be exiled, how good and evil exist as opposing forces, why evil is inferior, also the victory over evil and how that comes about, a great book, although it is supposedly a trilogy with two other books Radio Free Albion and VALIS both of which are critically acclaimed but both of which I did not finish, could not finish, and I largely regard those books as the confused jottings which PKD made before the finally produced Divine Invasion.

Its a total and utter aside but I consider Divine Invasion as personal canon, along with Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained, I have a personal canon of books which I consider are divinely inspired, whatever the official position on them may be and its unlikely to happen that they become even remotely recommended as they have so much trouble already establishing the canonical nature of the existing scriptures and saints and scholastics.

Replay I really liked but thought it was fanciful, I'd like its version of time travel and afterlife but its just imaginary, Fevre Dream has some of the best character development and portrait I've seen, the best literary example of evil I can conceive of, the Iron Dragons Daughter is some what disturbing but ingenius in its portrayal of fantasy and psychology, its also brilliant in its terrifying and wicked realism when it comes of all the creatures of fantasy lexicon, the true nature of elves for instance (or at least as Irish know them) is on display. There is a sequel, the Dragons of Babel, which is good but for fans I would say.

Broken Sword, Three Lions, are both great books by Frederick Pohl, I think, the guy took the poetic and legend weaving very seriously in Broken Sword but Three Lions is more just work of fun, entertainment, if you like Three Lions then a kind of sequel to it is Midsummers Tempest, its a kind of shakespearian fantasy, romanticism fights a final battle against modernity in civil war era england or maybe its earlier, not quite sure, its got Oberon and all the hoast of the supernatural wild hunt in it. I loved that book. It features Pan or Dionysus' Inn (not sure which) which anyone who is in mortal danger may access for one night only and party with all the travellers from the multiverse who have also found themselves in similar circumstances.

Finally, I would recommend The Drawing of The Dark, its idiosyncratic, but I feel I should recommend it as my favourite book, it features Finn Macool, Kind Arthur, some good writing on old swordplay and broadsword, an Irish character called Eammon Devlin, a battle between the west and eastern wizards which is behind the siege of Vienna by Ottoman Muslim forces, the "black" of the title is a magical stout which sounds a little like Guinness, the magicks of the west are bound up with craft beer. Some of the same mythos developed in this novel features heavily in Anubis Gates, although novel, considered the archetypical steampunk novel, if you like steampunk the only other one I would recommend is Morlock Night (though I think it is unfair to HG Wells).

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The first thing that comes to mind: Amazon.com: In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette eBook: Hampton Sides: Kindle Store

A spectacular, colorful, and seemingly larger-than-life account of the ill-conceived North Pole expedition launched from San Francisco in 1879. New York Herald publisher and expedition sponsor James Gordon Bennett Jr. is so flamboyant and outlandish that he comes across like a 19th Century version of Tony Stark/Iron Man. :laugh: Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, and John Muir make appearances.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I read mostly non-fiction. Here are a couple of very well written and interesting non-fiction books:

"Neuro Tribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity"
"Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer"
"The Man with the Beautiful Voice".

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Totally love Dickens. Great Expectations and Our Mutual Friend are my faves. - - - Updated - - - Will most definitely check those out! Thank you! - - - Updated - - - Tell me about it! Why do you love it?
I love that it is really about self discovery and like the alchemist it is about one mans quest to find himself and god in everything.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. The series is not yet done but quite excellent. I eagerly await the next.