• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elliott Smith

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I've been on an E.S. binge lately, and I don't think he's had his own thread yet.

IxFP?

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
His interviews are something - he's one of the most soft-spoken people I've ever seen.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
A lot of people get typed as INFP here- but I think he's one of them INFPs.

hathor_sekhmet

MBTI Type
INFP
Kurt Cobain... Jeff Buckley... Heath Ledger....

Watch out if you're a successful male INFP artist, I suppose.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
How to separate the INFPs and ISFPs?
Superficially, they can seem similar- especially in the entertainment world.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How to separate the INFPs and ISFPs?
Superficially, they can seem similar- especially in the entertainment world.

Right, I was wondering the same thing. Prior to watching the video, I would have guessed Elliott as ISFP. After watching...eh, I don't know. His demeanor does remind me of an INFP I know. BUT I don't know what a shy male ISFP would be like, as I don't know any in person so have no way to make a good comparison.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Wow, Howard Moon is everywhere around here! I've got a big crush on Julian Barratt right now, so it's all quite timely.

Back to topic, I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between INFPs and ISFPs as well. I know a few INFP guys, and Elliott could fit in there, but I've never met any ISFP guys. I tend to mix the two at first. No idea what kind of effect N vs. S would have on composition. Lyrics might be more abstract in tone, yeah.

hathor_sekhmet

MBTI Type
INFP
(Julian Barratt reeks of sexiness.)

One of my best friends is ISFP... my only certain real-life experience with one.

I'd say from observing her that ISFPs are probably less apt than INFPs to make or understand odd metaphors. ISFPs read (and write?) between the lines more in social situations than in writing and reading. But this is just basing it off one person.

V

violaine

I think ISFP would be more of a sensualist than INFP, perhaps more in touch with their bodies and pleasures of the senses. That's the main difference I have noticed in my limited experience trying to separate the two.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
As usual, I think people are getting hung up on functions. It's not that hard to differentiate INFP and ISFP if they're side by side, despite "Fi" in common. Look into the eyes. Do you see a starry night sky, or a dragster?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
after listening to xo for about 2 straight weeks and watching a couple of interviews, i'm going isfp.

like sam beam of iron and wine, or even neil young, elliott smith is all about the Fi articulation thru extremely LUSH sound. his vocals (double-tracked and over-dubbed) provide the main thrust of his music, along with really simple clean melodies. i get Se more than Ne. Ne will come up with an idea that feels different, that relates or articulates an identity by being from a different cultural space, a weird experiment that sticks. this is back-to-basics Fi via Se. the lyrics themselves are scattered places and pictures with a bit of tertiary Ni holding them together but not much.

i also think he's more 9w8 than 4w5. he has that 8 undertone of explosive anger, far below the exremely placid soft shy demeanor of 9ness. he wants to be numb, or warm.

sooooooo much second person in the lyrics.

this makes me re-think justin vernon of bon iver.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd guess ISFP....while INFP music can be lush and atmospheric, there's usually something "chaotic" about it if you analyze it. His music is not chaotic to me, although I admit I am not that well-acquainted with it.

unicorns

I'd guess ISFP....while INFP music can be lush and atmospheric, there's usually something "chaotic" about it if you analyze it. His music is not chaotic to me, although I admit I am not that well-acquainted with it.

There are plenty of Elliott Smith songs that have that. And they're really something.

INFP - like the poster child of infp.