User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Elliott Smith

MBTI
    INFP

The N would make for more abstract lyrics and musical composition?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Wow, Howard Moon is everywhere around here! I've got a big crush on Julian Barratt right now, so it's all quite timely.

Back to topic, I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between INFPs and ISFPs as well. I know a few INFP guys, and Elliott could fit in there, but I've never met any ISFP guys. I tend to mix the two at first. No idea what kind of effect N vs. S would have on composition. Lyrics might be more abstract in tone, yeah.

MBTI
    INFP

(Julian Barratt reeks of sexiness.)

One of my best friends is ISFP... my only certain real-life experience with one.

I'd say from observing her that ISFPs are probably less apt than INFPs to make or understand odd metaphors. ISFPs read (and write?) between the lines more in social situations than in writing and reading. But this is just basing it off one person.

violaine

I think ISFP would be more of a sensualist than INFP, perhaps more in touch with their bodies and pleasures of the senses. That's the main difference I have noticed in my limited experience trying to separate the two.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

As usual, I think people are getting hung up on functions. It's not that hard to differentiate INFP and ISFP if they're side by side, despite "Fi" in common. Look into the eyes. Do you see a starry night sky, or a dragster?

MBTI
    INTP

totally ISFP.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

after listening to xo for about 2 straight weeks and watching a couple of interviews, i'm going isfp.

like sam beam of iron and wine, or even neil young, elliott smith is all about the Fi articulation thru extremely LUSH sound. his vocals (double-tracked and over-dubbed) provide the main thrust of his music, along with really simple clean melodies. i get Se more than Ne. Ne will come up with an idea that feels different, that relates or articulates an identity by being from a different cultural space, a weird experiment that sticks. this is back-to-basics Fi via Se. the lyrics themselves are scattered places and pictures with a bit of tertiary Ni holding them together but not much.

i also think he's more 9w8 than 4w5. he has that 8 undertone of explosive anger, far below the exremely placid soft shy demeanor of 9ness. he wants to be numb, or warm.

sooooooo much second person in the lyrics.

this makes me re-think justin vernon of bon iver.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    How to separate the INFPs and ISFPs?
    Superficially, they can seem similar- especially in the entertainment world.
    Yes, thank you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'd guess ISFP....while INFP music can be lush and atmospheric, there's usually something "chaotic" about it if you analyze it. His music is not chaotic to me, although I admit I am not that well-acquainted with it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I'd guess ISFP....while INFP music can be lush and atmospheric, there's usually something "chaotic" about it if you analyze it. His music is not chaotic to me, although I admit I am not that well-acquainted with it.
    There are plenty of Elliott Smith songs that have that. And they're really something.

INFP - like the poster child of infp.