User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Einstein not an archetypical INTP

update:
    I've changed my mind after reading this article on similarities between INTPs & INFJs.

INFJ vs INTP | Psyphics

Seems like Einstein was an INTP after all.

-------

Einstein was not the typical INTP people make him out to be. Let alone quintessential. Anything but quintessential in fact.

1. He was remarkably idealistic + poetic + passionate + dreamy for an INTP :

To give just a few examples of thousands :

Oh, how I wish that somewhere
    there existed an island
    for those who are wise
    and of goodwill! . .

If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.

2. He did not put that much value on cold logic :

Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”

3. He used plenty of very well developed Fe, which proves nothing except that this undeniably happens to be the inferior function of an INTP :

He used the royal "we" all the time for instance.

Another (arguably) example of Fe :

I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.

4. He showed signs of inferior Se :

In the tv-series "Genius" there's a scene at episode 1 where he visits the doctor and keeps insisting there's something physically wrong with him, coining eczema. The scene obviously serves to point out the obsessive side about his physical wellbeing. Hypochondria is typical for inferior Se or Ni-Dom if you will (INTJ/INFJ).

5. He (almost exclusively!) spoke in metaphors :

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.

Sure, there are many examples that demonstrate Ti in Einstein. But his Ti wasn't necessarily his dominant function. I'm fairly certain that his dominant function was Ni.
    This infamous quote comes to mind : The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
    And no, he did not mean Ne, but Ni.

His function stack was Ni-Fe-Ti-Se : He was imho very likely an INFJ (his insatiable lust for knowledge/mystery/discovery/science stems from his desire to serve humanity) , and he was definitely NOT an archetypical INTP.

on a sidenote : My own great grandfather taught Einstein's daughter Margot sculpturing. Einstein came over to dinner once with his daughter. At the end of the evening he asked my great grandfather's 18 yr old son "do you want a souvenir ?" (arguably Fe) and wrote him a small note. I don't recall exactly (could look it up. my father has a copy.) but it was again something that stressed the importance of art (see point 1).

I rest my case. Bring it on.
    Last edited by meowington; 06-03-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave
    Likes agentwashington liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

All of that seems very INTP to me...it seems INxP in general.

All the imaginative, romantic, metaphorical stuff is Ne... Jung's Ne is arguably the most romantic type, IMO, perhaps followed by Fi. Jung's Ti is someone who has a strong sentimental/romantic streak that can overtake them at times. It's also someone a LOT more focused on moral principles than Ti-dom are made out to be in MBTI or MBTI-like systems.

Awareness of body sensations can be associated with Si too. I don't think typing by inferior functions is very good though, and neither is assigning specific behaviors or comments to functions. The entire personality/mentality may be typed using patterns in behavior and words, and the pattern keeps pointing to INTP...

If anything, this supports his being prototypical INTP.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Red Herring, Reborn Relic, meowington liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Einstein is an Ne version of me INTP to the bone.

Most outwardly "logic" people are Te anyway. Ti does it all internally and all that comes out is the results, not so much the logic itself.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes OrangeAppled, meowington, riva liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have wondered if Einstein was an ENTP in part because of his focus on imagination over systematic logic. He also had numerous affairs and women "lavished gifts on him", which is rather social for an INTP (and I know social extroversion is different from function extroversion, but I lived with INTPs for 20 years and Einstein sounds a bit too social to be a Ti-dom who are more often lost in thought with a higher level of social apathy.)

Albert Einstein's Love Life: The Wives, the Affairs - Biography.com
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes meowington, Peter Deadpan liked this post

Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

I think he's an intuitive dominant in my version of functions theory (which I obviously consider better justified than alternatives if I bother subscribing). I'm not going to comment on dichotomies as I think they should be treated separately.

I think he is T>F, however...again, in functions theory.
    Likes meowington liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe the description of the "quintessential INTP" being used is too extreme.

That's the problem with type descriptions -- they are extremes, they aren't real... or at least you never get the full range and sense of an individual just by knowing their summarized type.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So basically he's like me in almost every way.

To those dear, I can be quite giving with gifts or paying for meals randomly. I have a huge imagination, and my logic tries to hold it all together somehow to make it all work... I've grown up with story ideas since I was a kid. Also when I am in love (which is very very rare) I have been known to be romantic. Even a bit poetic... I also have values underneath this cooler distant exterior. A sense of cold right justice in some cases when I think it's deserved.

At times when taking medication I've gotten paranoid over my body and had to make sure I was ok. Or when I took too much caffeine(that 5 hour stuff) and had to distract myself to relax and not panic... since it didn't wear off after I was done with the work I needed to do.

Does that make one absolutely not an INTP suddenly? It's little different than Einstein here.
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)

Eclectic Oddball, that I am
    Likes meowington liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Ok all feedback very much appreciated.
    I've always had a hard time understanding INTPs.

So maybe I have the following misconceptions :

-Only INFJs speak in metaphors.
    -INTPs are not poetic.
    -Only INTJs/INFJs suffer hypochondria
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

Was he talking about MBTI though?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

Was he talking about MBTI though?
    I supose not. I even think if he was alive today he couldn't care less about something like MBTI.
    But indirectly, I think he definitely meant intuition in the same sense as we understand MBTI Ni/Ne today.
    If I recall correctly he came to certain realizations by picturing himself on the sun and then riding a ray of light through space.
    Also if I recall correctly he came up with his relativity theories before age 20 through intuition and only later in life worked out the mathematics.
    Likes Cellmold, Peter Deadpan liked this post