• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joseph Conrad

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I HATE it when people assert things without proof!

Orwell's obsession with the poor and social justice issues make him seem more F than T to me, his paranoia seems rather Ni-ish as well- the Ni, Fe combo makes the INFJ claim rather sensible to me! :)

Conrad though was a more outgoing and adventurous fellow- just because an INF can identify with him doesn't mean that he was one. Just sayin' :tongue:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I HATE it when people assert things without proof!

Conrad though was a more outgoing and adventurous fellow- just because an INF can identify with him doesn't mean that he was one. Just sayin' :tongue:

That's why I thought it would be nice to hear from some INFJ's about their travel habits. And to see if anyone knew anything about what made him travel. There hasn't been so much on the latter yet :sad: But there has been some evidence that INFJ's are quite capable of travelling through discontent, curiosity, or a desire for personal development. This is why some research on Conrad's motivation would be nice, as then we could see whether it tied together or not.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:( I pointed out why he traveled earlier, having read a few other writings of his on the topic at one point- he wanted adventure and to see things that had never been seen before! :)

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
:( I pointed out why he traveled earlier, having read a few other writings of his on the topic at one point- he wanted adventure and to see things that had never been seen before! :)

Oh, sorry, I missed that. Has anyone had a detailed look at his personality, though? There must have been some bigraphies written. To say you wanted to go off and adventure as a young man is mostly to state what people expected you to say: especially in the days of the British Empire and before psychological self-analysis or speaking in those terms gained common currency. I would at least want some corroboratory evidence to be sure that was the whole story, and something about how he came across to others would be good. I have difficulty seeing such things as his concern with isolation and moralising tendencies as coming from, for instance, an EN*P type. Don't get me wrong, by the way, I actually think an extraverted intuitive might have naturally tended to make his novels more FUN, which is something I didn't have while reading them, worthy literature though they undoubtably are. (See below)

Bleh, Joseph Conrad. Probably INFJ. Definitely annoying writer.

:cheers:

Or maybe I would have read more of them. :whistling:

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
That's why I thought it would be nice to hear from some INFJ's about their travel habits. And to see if anyone knew anything about what made him travel. There hasn't been so much on the latter yet :sad: But there has been some evidence that INFJ's are quite capable of travelling through discontent, curiosity, or a desire for personal development. This is why some research on Conrad's motivation would be nice, as then we could see whether it tied together or not.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/8979-joseph-conrad.html#post417908

I don't believe it's as simple as saying he wanted adventure as a young man.

S

Sniffles

Orwell's obsession with the poor and social justice issues make him seem more F than T to me, his paranoia seems rather Ni-ish as well- the Ni, Fe combo makes the INFJ claim rather sensible to me! :)

Perhaps......like I said, I have nothing against allowing Orwell into our ranks. I have great admiration for the man.

And Lionel Trilling's introduction to my copy of Homage to Catalonia; I find it odd that the men Trilling claims shares the most affinity with Orwell are both INFJs(and Catholics!) - GK Chesterton and Charles Peguy(;)).

However, much of the rest of the description given of him seems to point to INFP.

I'll certainly be interested in discussing this in another thread.

This reminds of the one thread about Leon Bloy, who I originally thought was INFJ, but upon posting facts about his life and personality - others concluded INFP.