User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 116

  1. #41
    Senior Member SuperFob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    264

    Default

    You can't claim to be typing Shakespeare himself.
    Sure I can. I could claim to type some homeless person off the street without ever seeing him or knowing anything about him at all. It would be a very inaccurate typing, but there's a difference between ATTEMPTING to type someone and being right about it. I'm doing the former. I can claim whatever I want as long as I stay in my place and remember that I'm only stating what I believe. When I start acting like my words are truth and more than just my personal opinion, I cross the line. That is what I cannot do.

    In fact, there's really no known way to type people for sure, is there? It's subjective.

    You're typing his works... and even that could be debated (INFP or INTP?). You've decided that his works are enough of something to call 'William Shakespeare.'
    I'm not typing his works. I'm typing the person who wrote them. His works are a bunch of books/pieces of paper/whatever he used to write on. They're objects. Objects can't be typed. People can. The works came from him, and when you see something that comes from a person, it says something about them. It doesn't say everything about that person, but it says something. As long as you have that something, as little as it may be, you know a bit about that person and you have something to base your opinion of their type on. I like to think of work as deep as Shakespeare's writing as a window into the writer's soul. I look through the window and I see the soul of a very imaginative NF. That's only what I see, though, and other people may see different. That's the nature of opinion.

    That's the magic word here: Opinion. As long as you keep everything you say on the level of opinion, you can say whatever you want about types, no matter how absurd it may seem to other people.

  2. #42
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Lets assume for this thread that Shakespeare did write his own works, for matters of simplicity, as well aa the fact that most serious biographers of the Bard will contend that there is very little reason for one to doubt WS's authorial authenticity.

    I believe that Shakespeare's rather prolific opus of plays and sonnets, combined with the what he do actually know about his life and his family, plus reasonable subjecture, do give one enough material with which to tentatively type the bard. Bear in mind, that legions of weighty biographies have been written about the man.
    4w5 sp

  3. #43
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Now, I admit that I have thought of him as INFP, but only because I often joke that his work is annoyingly schmaltzy
    Read Macbeth lately? Or Othello?

    I don't know where the idea that Elizabethan England was so F-centric has come from.

    As for typing someone from their work - isn't that the basis of most "celebrity typing" ? Why is it invalid?

  4. #44
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Oh, my emotionally-stunted, pathetic NT mind was mistaken, then. I thought you were trying to run some kind of experiment to see if it was actually possible.

    If we're just going to look at the work, the meter contrivances to make the plays easily memorizable are very Ti. And that was what made Shakespeare so great, while otherwise a lot of his plays were pretty much action-flicks and melodramas from the day...

    There have been a lot of ENTP writers, so it's not refutable that it's possible. The thing is, though, is that they tend to be as clever off the page as on the page, but because there's not much known about him personally, it'd be impossible to tell.
    Well I balk at the bold text. Those assertions are a matter of opinion that I'm not even going to begin to challenge.

    I think it would further your point if you could post the names of some of these ENTP writers.
    4w5 sp

  5. #45
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Fine.

    If we're going to assume that Shakespeare did write all of his own works without plagarising/significant influence by other popular works at the time, I'd go with ENFP.

    Why E?

    He was too damn prolific to be an INFP.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #46
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    I think it would further your point if you could post the names of some of these ENTP writers.
    Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
    Oscar Wilde
    Lewis Carrol

    To name a few.

    And I know a few ENTPs personally who write...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #47
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    It was you who took offence at my post, so may I suggest that you lighten up a bit and stop taking everything so seriously?
    Don't worry. I'm not in the least offended. Not sure what could have given you that idea. I've been chuckling away to myself.

  8. #48
    Senior Member SuperFob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    264

    Default

    I think the idea of trying to simplify the depth, emotional significance, and greatness of Shakespeare to something as shallow as meter is a slightly dry way of looking at it (then again, maybe not so slightly). It makes for an amusing analysis, though

  9. #49
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Fine.

    If we're going to assume that Shakespeare did write all of his own works without plagarising/significant influence by other popular works at the time, I'd go with ENFP.

    Why E?

    He was too damn prolific to be an INFP.
    Well no, I don't think that was what was meant. What was referred to was the authorship question of whether it was actually WS or another author using WS to release his works behind the works, possibly Marlowe or Bacon.

    It is almost certain that WS "borrowed" plots from earlier works, but this can be said of many authors. One of the greatest books of modern times is Ullyeses, which borrows heavily from Homer's Odyssey and Hamlet, to give just one example. Remember that lawsuits did exist in Elizabethan times. WS could hardly have blatantly stolen from his contemporaries works.

    WS had to write plays for his company to perform. We was never particularly well off, about middle class by the time he died. This is a great incentive for INFPs to write prolifically. Also, an inspired INFP, as WS undoubtedly was, will have no problem writing like crazy.

    Where I see the problem, is getting an ENFP to be introspective enough to write as prolifically as WS!
    4w5 sp

  10. #50
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
    Oscar Wilde
    Lewis Carrol

    To name a few.

    And I know a few ENTPs personally who write...
    Well I'll give you two out of three unless you can give me evidence of Oscar Wilde being an ENTP, when I've usually seen him typed as an INFP.
    4w5 sp

Similar Threads

  1. Robin Williams
    By NewEra in forum Celebrity Personality Types
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 09-04-2017, 10:57 PM
  2. Robbie Williams (not Robin)
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
  3. William Shakespeare's type
    By SuperFob in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 01:34 AM
  4. Favorite Shakespeare?
    By proteanmix in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 09:53 PM
  5. William the Conqueror's type
    By Athenian200 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO