User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't see how you figure that out. An Ixxx would express him/herself indirectly, while an Exxx would be direct. ENxPs find it easy to express their random insights directly (through speech, writing, art, invention, etc.), just as ESxPs find it easy to act directly on physical impulses.

An INxP would have expressed more meaning in ideas because the N insights are given meaning and coherence through their dominant introverted judgment function.
    Then why do I know so many ENP writers?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ

To type a person by solely on work which may not even be (entirely) their own without looking at their life is pretty naÔve, no?
    To try and type a person with certainty based solely on work would be naive. You can always make an educated guess, though. As long as you aren't dumb enough to believe that and act like you can know the 100% truth based on limited information, I think there's nothing wrong with speculation. That's the whole point of the popular culture forum... no?

I still believe that Shakespeare was an NF based on the brilliance of his work alone, but, at the end of the day, that's just my opinion.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
    To try and type a person with certainty based solely on work would be naive. You can always make an educated guess, though. As long as you aren't dumb enough to believe that and act like you can know the 100% truth based on limited information, I think there's nothing wrong with speculation. That's the whole point of the popular culture forum... no?

I still believe that Shakespeare was an NF based on the brilliance of his work alone, but, at the end of the day, that's just my opinion.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I see that the troll from before hasn't deemed himself worthy enough to respond to my earlier post about him
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Since when are you the expert on Shakespeare? Your arrogance clearly surpasses any tidbits of information you may have ever picked up about the Bard.

There is no evidence that Shakespeare was ever a player. There is an unsubstantiated rumour that he played the Ghost in Hamlet. And as other posters have mentioned, he was foremost a writer, so what does your assertion actually add? I believe that you are being deliberately contentious in order to subvert this thread.
    If you think that then why are you bothering to reply?'
    This is really too funny. I'm sorry, I don't mean to wind you up but you make it tooo easy.

Why would it be so unconscionable if he turned out to be a little old T? I think you'll find your experiment in this thread has backfired a bit. Never mind, you have lots of other writers in your clan - some of them are really rather good too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    If you think that then why are you bothering to reply?'
    This is really too funny. I'm sorry, I don't mean to wind you up but you make it tooo easy.

Why would it be so unconscionable if he turned out to be a little old T? I think you'll find your experiment in this thread has backfired a bit. Never mind, you have lots of other writers in your clan - some of them are really rather good too.
    Look, I'm not against Shakespeare being an INTP or any other type. My OP was intended to spark friendly debate and was intended as a bit of lively fun, something that you and only you seem to have failed to pick up on; it wasn' intended to be serious.

ADD: From time to time I use a little thing called irony. If you believe that I honestly thought that a thread on the most famous writer of all time's type was going to go unchallenged then you obviously aren't familiar with these message boards!

It was you who took offence at my post, so may I suggest that you lighten up a bit and stop taking everything so seriously?
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post

What we have is a bunch of writing with the name 'William Shakespeare' on it.

There's enough controversy over who he was, how much he wrote (if he actually did write any at all) and what he did that it's all suspect.

You can't claim to be typing Shakespeare himself. You're typing his works... and even that could be debated (INFP or INTP?). You've decided that his works are enough of something to call 'William Shakespeare.'

MBTI is circumstantial. With no circumstances, there's just not enough information.

Wasn't the whole point of this thread to find somebody from pop culture that we could all agree on the type of?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Okay, I'll chime in.

I think what type Shakespeare is depends on whether he wrote his own works or not. Now, I admit that I have thought of him as INFP, but only because I often joke that his work is annoyingly schmaltzy (apologies to everyone who likes him, this is just my opinion).

Of course, if those theories that he didn't write his own work (and that the surrounding literary culture had INFP-ish traits) are correct, xNTP is much more likely. It would paint a completely different kind of character and motivations if he didn't write it himself.

I think the answer to his type, is really dependent on what kind of person he was outside of writing. I don't think there's enough information about that left to make a valid typing.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What we have is a bunch of writing with the name 'William Shakespeare' on it.

There's enough controversy over who he was, how much he wrote (if he actually did write any at all) and what he did that it's all suspect.

You can't claim to be typing Shakespeare himself. You're typing his works... and even that could be debated (INFP or INTP?). You've decided that his works are enough of something to call 'William Shakespeare.'

MBTI is circumstantial. With no circumstances, there's just not enough information.

Wasn't the whole point of this thread to find somebody from pop culture that we could all agree on the type of?
    Er, see post above your one
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Er, see post above your one

Oh, my emotionally-stunted, pathetic NT mind was mistaken, then. I thought you were trying to run some kind of experiment to see if it was actually possible.

If we're just going to look at the work, the meter contrivances to make the plays easily memorizable are very Ti. And that was what made Shakespeare so great, while otherwise a lot of his plays were pretty much action-flicks and melodramas from the day...

There have been a lot of ENTP writers, so it's not refutable that it's possible. The thing is, though, is that they tend to be as clever off the page as on the page, but because there's not much known about him personally, it'd be impossible to tell.