• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

William Shakespeare

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You are embarrassing yourself now.
I can't believe you care this much. MBTI is also, just a theory after all....

I think that you are embarrasing yourself. I only express my opinion. You dismiss the MBTI on an MBTI forum! Why are you even here? What are you doing posting here if you don't care about this topic?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is why I kept the N. He was primarily an entertainer, but he was content not doing it directly. ENPs can be pretty introverted.

Actually, he was a player too...

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that you are embarrasing yourself. You dismiss the MBTI on an MBTI forum! Why are you even here? What are you doing posting here if you don't care about this topic?

Don't be hysterical. To say something is a theory is not to dismiss it. To state a theory as fact is dogmatic.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bet some T's are going to think I'm some racist typing asshole for what I said about NF's. Anything's possible, I just think it's highly highly unlikely for anyone but an NF to have come up with the brilliant tragedies WS did.

I think it's pretty narrow-minded to assume that NF's have romanticize. We're much more capable than anyone else at pulling those heart-wrenching tales.

I think it highly unlikely that any T will think you racist based on those sentiments. (?)

It's narrow-minded to assume NFs romanticize, but it's not narrow-minded to assume only NFs can come up with "brilliant tragedies"....hmmmm.....ok then.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's making something so heartwrenching a form of romanticization? As in, romanticizing a tragedy?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, he was a player too...

Since when are you the expert on Shakespeare? Your arrogance clearly surpasses any tidbits of information you may have ever picked up about the Bard.

There is no evidence that Shakespeare was ever a player. There is an unsubstantiated rumour that he played the Ghost in Hamlet. And as other posters have mentioned, he was foremost a writer, so what does your assertion actually add? I believe that you are being deliberately contentious in order to subvert this thread.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think it highly unlikely that any T will think you racist based on those sentiments. (?)

It's narrow-minded to assume NFs romanticize, but it's not narrow-minded to assume only NFs can come up with "brilliant tragedies"....hmmmm.....ok then.
I'd say it's rather narrow-minded to assume that's what I meant with my post.

If you read my post a bit closer, you'll notice I said that anything's possible, I just think it's a lot more likely for an NF to come up with the things Shakespeare did. I'm not saying that a non-NF wouldn't be able to write a brilliant story, I just think that when I'm looking at the best of the best, like Shakespeare, I've gotta assume that the type most wired for doing what he did so well is the type that he fit under. That's an NF.

It goes both ways. NF's are capable of being great scientists, but when it comes to the most revered ones like Einstein, it's simply an overwhelming probability that you're looking at an NT.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
All we have are the works. The circumstances under which they were created are unknown.

To type a person by solely on work which may not even be (entirely) their own without looking at their life is pretty naïve, no?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is why I kept the N. He was primarily an entertainer, but he was content not doing it directly. ENPs can be pretty introverted.

I don't see how you figure that out. An Ixxx would express him/herself indirectly, while an Exxx would be direct. ENxPs find it easy to express their random insights directly (through speech, writing, art, invention, etc.), just as ESxPs find it easy to act directly on physical impulses.

An INxP would have expressed more meaning in ideas because the N insights are given meaning and coherence through their dominant introverted judgment function.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't see how you figure that out. An Ixxx would express him/herself indirectly, while an Exxx would be direct. ENxPs find it easy to express their random insights directly (through speech, writing, art, invention, etc.), just as ESxPs find it easy to act directly on physical impulses.

An INxP would have expressed more meaning in ideas because the N insights are given meaning and coherence through their dominant introverted judgment function.

Then why do I know so many ENP writers?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
To type a person by solely on work which may not even be (entirely) their own without looking at their life is pretty naïve, no?
To try and type a person with certainty based solely on work would be naive. You can always make an educated guess, though. As long as you aren't dumb enough to believe that and act like you can know the 100% truth based on limited information, I think there's nothing wrong with speculation. That's the whole point of the popular culture forum... no?

I still believe that Shakespeare was an NF based on the brilliance of his work alone, but, at the end of the day, that's just my opinion.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
To try and type a person with certainty based solely on work would be naive. You can always make an educated guess, though. As long as you aren't dumb enough to believe that and act like you can know the 100% truth based on limited information, I think there's nothing wrong with speculation. That's the whole point of the popular culture forum... no?

I still believe that Shakespeare was an NF based on the brilliance of his work alone, but, at the end of the day, that's just my opinion.

:yes:

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I see that the troll from before hasn't deemed himself worthy enough to respond to my earlier post about him :)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since when are you the expert on Shakespeare? Your arrogance clearly surpasses any tidbits of information you may have ever picked up about the Bard.

There is no evidence that Shakespeare was ever a player. There is an unsubstantiated rumour that he played the Ghost in Hamlet. And as other posters have mentioned, he was foremost a writer, so what does your assertion actually add? I believe that you are being deliberately contentious in order to subvert this thread.

:devil: If you think that then why are you bothering to reply?'
This is really too funny. I'm sorry, I don't mean to wind you up but you make it tooo easy.

Why would it be so unconscionable if he turned out to be a little old T? I think you'll find your experiment in this thread has backfired a bit. Never mind, you have lots of other writers in your clan - some of them are really rather good too.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:devil: If you think that then why are you bothering to reply?'
This is really too funny. I'm sorry, I don't mean to wind you up but you make it tooo easy.

Why would it be so unconscionable if he turned out to be a little old T? I think you'll find your experiment in this thread has backfired a bit. Never mind, you have lots of other writers in your clan - some of them are really rather good too.

Look, I'm not against Shakespeare being an INTP or any other type. My OP was intended to spark friendly debate and was intended as a bit of lively fun, something that you and only you seem to have failed to pick up on; it wasn' intended to be serious.

ADD: From time to time I use a little thing called irony. If you believe that I honestly thought that a thread on the most famous writer of all time's type was going to go unchallenged then you obviously aren't familiar with these message boards!

It was you who took offence at my post, so may I suggest that you lighten up a bit and stop taking everything so seriously? :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

What we have is a bunch of writing with the name 'William Shakespeare' on it.

There's enough controversy over who he was, how much he wrote (if he actually did write any at all) and what he did that it's all suspect.

You can't claim to be typing Shakespeare himself. You're typing his works... and even that could be debated (INFP or INTP?). You've decided that his works are enough of something to call 'William Shakespeare.'

MBTI is circumstantial. With no circumstances, there's just not enough information.

Wasn't the whole point of this thread to find somebody from pop culture that we could all agree on the type of?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, I'll chime in.

I think what type Shakespeare is depends on whether he wrote his own works or not. Now, I admit that I have thought of him as INFP, but only because I often joke that his work is annoyingly schmaltzy (apologies to everyone who likes him, this is just my opinion).

Of course, if those theories that he didn't write his own work (and that the surrounding literary culture had INFP-ish traits) are correct, xNTP is much more likely. It would paint a completely different kind of character and motivations if he didn't write it himself.

I think the answer to his type, is really dependent on what kind of person he was outside of writing. I don't think there's enough information about that left to make a valid typing.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What we have is a bunch of writing with the name 'William Shakespeare' on it.

There's enough controversy over who he was, how much he wrote (if he actually did write any at all) and what he did that it's all suspect.

You can't claim to be typing Shakespeare himself. You're typing his works... and even that could be debated (INFP or INTP?). You've decided that his works are enough of something to call 'William Shakespeare.'

MBTI is circumstantial. With no circumstances, there's just not enough information.

Wasn't the whole point of this thread to find somebody from pop culture that we could all agree on the type of?

Er, see post above your one :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Er, see post above your one :D

Oh, my emotionally-stunted, pathetic NT mind was mistaken, then. I thought you were trying to run some kind of experiment to see if it was actually possible.

If we're just going to look at the work, the meter contrivances to make the plays easily memorizable are very Ti. And that was what made Shakespeare so great, while otherwise a lot of his plays were pretty much action-flicks and melodramas from the day...

There have been a lot of ENTP writers, so it's not refutable that it's possible. The thing is, though, is that they tend to be as clever off the page as on the page, but because there's not much known about him personally, it'd be impossible to tell.