2 15.38%
123 Last

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Winston Churchill

This one's been niggling me for a while...

Brief Bio
    OK, so he was the British Prime Minister (President, if you will) during most of World War Two, was later Prime Minister again with less success, and was one of the most prolific statesmen of the 20th century.

This may help in his typing:

He wrote voraciously after the war, and won the Nobel Prize for Literature I believe for his History of the English Speaking Peoples. He was a staunch proponent of the then formidable British Empire, and was a journalist during the Boer War in his youth. He suffered from a form of depression.

Edit: OK pretty unanimous on ESTP...
    4w5 sp

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I loved the guy. He was a brilliant man, and humane. I'm going to suggest ESTP. He just struck me as being a real master of his environment, but also of the human element, and very innovative.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I loved the guy. He was a brilliant man, and humane. I'm going to suggest ESTP. He just struck me as being a real master of his environment, but also of the human element, and very innovative.
    Well I'm certainly leaning towards ESTp...

I'd probably say P because although he was determined to maintain the status quo of Britian as a world superpower, which seems stereotypically J, he was willing to switch the political party he was a member of twice I believe. He was also innovative and original in his approach to military strategy. Also, for most of his life he was considered somewhat of an eccentric iconoclast for his political views, which were against the norm.
    4w5 sp

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I do believe I've heard his type as ESTP. Keirsey, perhaps.

Add: Nice job, Jaye.

MBTI
    INFP

Intelligent, yes. Humane...

"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilized tribes. The moral effects should be good, and it would spread a lively terror."
    It's just a ride

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Well I'm certainly leaning towards ESTX...
    I watched the documentary his granddaughter recently did with PBS about his life - I thought it would be pretentious, but it wasn't. It made him very tangible and human, and his humanity wasn't contrived. He had a lionhearted way of approaching life and others, so yes, I would agree with the ESTX. One thing - I was watching the show with my ESTJ mother, and she said, " I would never take the sorts of risks he did." in looking for adventure, going to war in Cuba, etc. So that's why I was leaning toward the ESTP.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Members Only View Post
    Intelligent, yes. Humane...
    I'm not electing him for sainthood. He had this issue with Gandhi that showed his not so great side. But I think that he was irreplaceable at the time - he was the guy to get the job done in England. I think he gave people hope and courage. I know he profoundly affected people in the US as well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Interesting that he's an ESTP though, as they would seem to be one of the last types to develop a stutter or speech impediment in childhood, as Churchill did, and one of the types less prone to depression. I agree with the typing, however I don't see the ESTP as a type that would hate school as Churchill did, or be as unacademic.

Additionally, is the ESTP the traditional type to inspire hope in a bombed out civilian population during the Battle of Britain? I suppose that's just a feature of a brillaint orator.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not electing him for sainthood. He had this issue with Gandhi that showed his not so great side. But I think that he was irreplaceable at the time - he was the guy to get the job done in England. I think he gave people hope and courage. I know he profoundly affected people in the US as well.
    Hear, hear.

Churchill was no saint, but I don't believe his very real achievements should be belittled.

People expect perfection from their leaders too much these days.

He was the best man for the job, without a fraction of a doubt.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Churchill was no saint, but I don't believe his very real achievements should be belittled.
    Nobody belittled them.

I was just pointing out his humanitarism, never extended to 'uncivilized' tribes.

Churchill was a war time leader above all else, he thrived on war.
    It's just a ride