IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default The Mistyping of John Lennon

John Lennon
    John Lennon - INFP or ENFP? - The iNtuitive Musician

In the past I've considered Lennon to be an INFJ. But I suddenly realized that Lennon had Inferior or Tertiary Si. This is seen in his negative attitude toward the past, his renunciation of many parts of it and wanting to look forward in life instead of behind. If you want, you can easily find the relevant quotes online.

Many of the songs Lennon wrote with the Beatles are considered to be nostalgia songs, for example, Strawberry Fields. I see that as more of an INFP than ENFP trait. But then his attitude toward the past - such as his dislike of singing Beatles songs in concert - seems more ENFP. His joking during interviews seems more ENFP. His mistake in saying that the Beatles are more popular than Jesus didn't lead to the downfall of the Beatles, but to its reinvention. His style of dress, the mockery of fashion, seems more ENFP than INFP. Am I right?

(Statements about how Lennon was a bad bad father are not welcome here, as they are not topical.)
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.
    Likes Starry liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

No one ever seems to see it but the dude was so, so ENFP
    Walk first through the fire.

*Currently participating in the "No Likes" experiment.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    No one ever seems to see it but the dude was so, so ENFP
    In what way?
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    In what way?
    In the way he makes me nonstop cringe whenever I see anything on him, read anything about him, etc.

I do think it would be fun to talk typeshop with you and others in this thread but I have two hurdles I won't be able to clear...

1.) I would want to make numerous references to his enneagram type but don't have the energy to face the same 'ol e7 stereotypes of the lamp-shade comedian on crack and people's insistence on 4w5 or 5w4. He was an obvious 7w6 sx strongly fixed at 4 (I don't know if he was a Visionary or Gentle Spirit though...I go back and forth on that).

2.) I wouldn't be able to talk about him in a way that wouldn't be offensive to all the people that thought he was so great. While there are a few past and present famous ENFPs that I take a sense of type-related pride in...Lennon is not one of them. Just in my personal opinion he presented with way too many ENFP characteristics that drive me insane. I actually see him as having like a highschool age level of stunted ENFP growth in spite of the talent that so many people feel inspired by.

I'll yield to the fans.

Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

In the way he makes me nonstop cringe whenever I see anything on him, read anything about him, etc.

I do think it would be fun to talk typeshop with you and others in this thread but I have two hurdles I won't be able to clear...

1.) I would want to make numerous references to his enneagram type but don't have the energy to face the same 'ol e7 stereotypes of the lamp-shade comedian on crack and people's insistence on 4w5 or 5w4. He was an obvious 7w6 sx strongly fixed at 4 (I don't know if he was a Visionary or Gentle Spirit though...I go back and forth on that).

2.) I wouldn't be able to talk about him in a way that wouldn't be offensive to all the people that thought he was so great. While there are a few past and present famous ENFPs that I take a sense of type-related pride in...Lennon is not one of them. Just in my personal opinion he presented with way too many ENFP characteristics that drive me insane. I actually see him as having like a highschool age level of stunted ENFP growth in spite of the talent that so many people feel inspired by.

I'll yield to the fans.
    Why 7w6? Because he made Jesus jokes?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Why 7w6? Because he made Jesus jokes?
    Haha yes. And the fact he clearly thought he was on some level. If I became as famous as he did at that age and was doing just as many psychedelics which I'm quite certain I would have been with a message like "drop out" floating around I'd surely be the first to convince myself that my personal drug use would bring about world peace...

I, too, would be making tons of Jesus jokes.

Unhealthy/stunted 7s have the most amazing way of hiding their entitlement and narcissism from themselves and all around them behind like...yah...a peace-loving hippie facade...some kind of "selfless giver to the world". It works because it is something that is truly in most of us...or the ENFPs at least...but we need to work through that entirely twisted hidden piece first. Here's a quote by him...

“Well, I don’t want to be king, I want to be real.” <-I don't know what this was in response to but it shouldn't be taken figuratively that's what I can tell you.

Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Haha yes. And the fact he clearly thought he was on some level. If I became as famous as he did at that age and was doing just as many psychedelics which I'm quite certain I would have been with a message like "drop out" floating around I'd surely be the first to convince myself that my personal drug use would bring about world peace...

I, too, would be making tons of Jesus jokes.

Unhealthy/stunted 7s have the most amazing way of hiding their entitlement and narcissism from themselves and all around them behind like...yah...a peace-loving hippie facade...some kind of "selfless giver to the world". It works because it is something that is truly in most of us...or the ENFPs at least...but we need to work through that entirely twisted hidden piece first. Here's a quote by him...

“Well, I don’t want to be king, I want to be real.” <-I don't know what this was in response to but it shouldn't be taken figuratively that's what I can tell you.
    He said that he was being treated like Caesar.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

-some kind of "selfless giver to the world".-

I don't see that in John. He was into himself, not into others. He was an authenticity wonk. He wanted to get real. He wrote a lot of songs about people who weren't true to themselves. That's what John wanted to be.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

-some kind of "selfless giver to the world".-

I don't see that in John. He was into himself, not into others. He was an authenticity wonk. He wanted to get real. He wrote a lot of songs about people who weren't true to themselves. That's what John wanted to be.

That "selfless giver to the world" and that peace-loving other one I wrote...I actually wasn't tying those specifically to Lennon...the "selfless giver" especially I had in mind that one ENTP that was trying to create some massive world movement but then received all kinds of backlash and then he went crazy...

I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying...but disagree as well. When we are unhealthy/stunted...we can insert ourselves into multiple different understandings of who we are and this is what I observed in Lennon. But I wouldn't expect anyone else to see it really.

I never found INFP convincing.
    Likes Ghost liked this post