• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Isaac Asimov

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never even questioned his being INTP, but others have. State your case.

Why did you think he was INTP? *confused*

I had always assumed he was INTJ, and he matches up better with Six on the Enneagram.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No don't buy into this people, it's just part of Jack's desperate bid to distract and redirect attention by intuitively and spontaneously fiddling with the external environment, to postpone having to admit that he's not an introvert! Don't encourage his denial!

mwuhahahahaaaa

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL dear holy great googly moogly of a hell in a handbasket!!!!!!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with Jack. I'd say Asimov was more an INTP. He asked more questions without bringing them to closure; the INTJ would more likely answer those questions.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Deep, detailed vision = Ni.
I have exactly the same tendency to analyze [the present state, the tendencies of people/society, the advance of technology], and predict the future--TENTATIVELY.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have exactly the same tendency to analyze [the present state, the tendencies of people/society, the advance of technology], and predict the future--TENTATIVELY.

The future is always tentative.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
There's a tendency for INP authors to not be prolific. This would be my one consideration for INTJ over INTP since the guy finished over 400 books.

But you're right, he kept raising questions. I tend to think of Rice (RedMars) as more typical of an INTP author.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
There's a tendency for INP authors to not be prolific.
As I'm sure you know, if "stuck in an interesting rut," INTPs are quite content almost never to leave. He was more of a science writer/futurist than a trained fiction author--writing was his mechanism for enjoying his favorite subjects.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
As I'm sure you know, if "stuck in an interesting rut," INTPs are quite content almost never to leave. He was more of a science writer/futurist than a trained writer--writing was his mechanism for enjoying his favorite subjects.

So processing all those interesting models through his fiction...then I'll go with INTP. I just get hired by so many NPs to help them finish their writing projects but I'll take your interpretation that for Asimov it was all one long project with royalty checks to make it possible....

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So processing all those interesting models through his fiction...then I'll go with INTP. I just get hired by so many NPs to help them finish their writing projects but I'll take your interpretation that for Asimov it was all one long project with royalty checks to make it possible....
That's my position. :) (In additon to everything else in the world which makes me confident he's INTP. I've read many of his works.)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Myers Briggs INTP Personality Type: INTP Profiles & Famous INTPs

And an account by someone named Willem Renzema:

Isaac Asimov INTP

Recently, after hearing much praise from an ENFP friend, I picked up some books by Isaac Asimov. I've never actually read any of his stuff before, so I figured it was time to take a look at his work. I purchased The Early Asimov, books One and Two.

Both these books contain the first stories that he had ever written. Or at least the first published stories. They are all short stories, as they were intended for magazine publication. In addition to the stories, there were commentaries, by Asimov, about the what lead up to their publication.

After only the first chapter of him writing about his early career, I discovered something intriguing: Isaac Asimov was INTP.

Now, the MBTI personality typing system had not yet been developed in his time, but it didn't need to be. How he described himself screamed INTP louder than any test could ever do. There were several characteristics that tipped me off, and distinctly reminded me of myself.

First, was how he got started in the selling of his stories. After first visiting the publisher one month to inquire (complain) about his missing issue (they changed the production schedule so it was delivered on a different day and week of the month than before) he built up the nerve the next month to actually walk in ask to speak to the editor and to show him one of his stories.

After convincing himself he would get thrown out for having the nerve to ask to speak to the editor, he was instead surprised to find that the editor would not only see him, but took Asimov's manuscript and promised an immediate opinion on it. The over-thinking something to the point of panic is certainly something I tend to do.

Another big tip off was his alternating between dismissive humility, and over-weening pride and arrogance. On one page he makes claims to being vain, but not vain enough to have kept his first attempt at writing a story for publication. The story was never published, so he didn't pay much attention to it, and it got lost much like one loses a sock in the dryer from time to time. He was apologizing to those historians who were dismayed that he never kept this first story.

On the following page though, he distinctly plays down the quality of his first published work, The Callistan Menace. Granted, the story was far from the best I'd ever read, but its the flip flopping between arrogance and humility that I so recognized. He even does it again in a later chapter, this time separated by only a couple of sentences.

I do the same sometimes. I love that I am the same type as Einstein. The absent-minded professor type. Yet usually quickly follow that up with the fact that I find myself more absent-minded than professor-like.

The third big indication to me was Asimov being a sucker for praise. I know I sure am. Many of my friends compliment me on my writing skills in my blog, and boy I tell you, I just lap it up. I can't quite find the example I was looking for in the book (it's difficult to dig for one little piece of information somewhere hidden in the first 100 pages), Asimov also stated he was a sucker for praise.

None of these by themselves really made him an INTP, but together, along with other indications showed me pretty clearly that he was. Tangents, (you know, stuff written in parenthesis to explain certain things without distracting from the main discussion) and his love of explaining technical scientific concepts are two other traits.

Personally, I'm thrilled to discover another famous person that is of my personality type. Reading his work even briefly made me consider becoming a writer myself. After all, everyone seems to love my writing in this blog.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From his books (read his nonfiction The Sun Shines Bright, his Robot Dreams short story collection and his three Robot novels), I'd say he's an ENTP.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
He wrote mystery/detective books about robots, of course hes an INTJ, psh!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So sure, eh?

I have absolutely no idea, he might be an INTj, they tend to be pretty brilliant!
Personally? I'd stake eternity in Heaven vs. Hell on INTP, but since it's not provable, oh well.