• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Holden Caulfield

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I loved that book, too, and identified with Holden completely. Still do. I can't tell one car from another and can't imagine why anybody cares ... I fantasize about buying a $3000 electric piano with weighted keys so I can play it in my apartment with headphones so nobody could ever hear me ... every other thing Holden Caulfield says makes me laugh out loud from surprised recognition. He's gotta be an NF.

wolfy

awsm
I remember reading that in school. Holden Caulfield must be one of the most whiny self involved characters ever. I couldn't stand him.,

Gauche

Notice, how every T identify him as T, or S, or something, only not NF.
And every NF identify him as NF.

Perhaps Ts do not understand what's going on in the head of NF. They don't understand into what extent NFs are affected by their emotions.

For me, Holden is definitely NFP. I can identify with him.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Perhaps Ts do not understand what's going on in the head of NF. They don't understand into what extent NFs are affected by their emotions.

What is at the bottom of identification?

Separation.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

If that's what's going on in the heads of NFs, perhaps I do not like NFs anymore.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I can either ISFP or INFP..I'm leaning more towards ISFP, sorry If you don't agree, it's just my opinion..probably counts for nothing anyway :p

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm still going with INFP, if not some kind of NF. I have my awesome 1968 printing of the CITR next to me.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I would say he's an ISFP.

I - He's almost certainly introverted. He does not enjoy interaction with other people.
S - He thinks more about the present than the future, and is more concerned with the here and now.
F - Expresses everything with strong reactions and strong feelings.
P - Is not really a planner.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe it's really a simple question of which type would be most eager to catch little kids from running off a cliff for the rest of their lives.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe it's really a simple question of which type would be most eager to catch little kids from running off a cliff for the rest of their lives.
ISFJ is the first thing that comes to mind. But this is where an NF could look like an SJ.

Wait a minute! What about his fixation on the Museum of Natural History?

Near the end of the book, he says he loves the museum because nothing ever changes there. While outside, the crazy world keeps shifting and you don't know what to expect, in the museum everything will always be right where it's always been.

Too insane by that point to matter?

Last edited:

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
ISFJ is the first thing that comes to mind. But this is where an NF could look like an SJ.

Wait a minute! What about his fixation on the Museum of Natural History?

Near the end of the book, he says he loves the museum because nothing ever changes there. While outside, the crazy world keeps shifting and you don't know what to expect, in the museum everything will always be right where it's always been.

Too insane by that point to matter?

Haha probably ;)
But really I don't know what that implies. Even for myself, the idea of a place I can go back to that's reliable, when everything else doesn't seem so, is a nice one to me.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha probably ;)
But really I don't know what that implies.
On its face, it sounds like an SJ statement. But, you made a good point in the rest of your post.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
On its face, it sounds like an SJ statement. But, you made a good point in the rest of your post.

Haha so I guess his type is still inconclusive? Though I think most people agree he's either NF or SP, and not NT or SJ

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha so I guess his type is still inconclusive? Though I think most people agree he's either NF or SP, and not NT or SJ
Looking at the 4 temperaments, that sounds true.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Lol, I am prepping. I am going to analyze those in a sec.

And lol, my close friend in high school couldn't stand Holden and neither could my English teacher.

The truth is this, there is in fact a select few of us human beings who are, for reasons unknown, genetically predisposed and hard-wired towards being empathetic idealists.

Sensitive souls do not fare well in this cold, industrialized, bureaucratic, super colony we call modern civilization.

When you actually care about people and things, and the inherent fucked-upness and seemingly endless human suffering deeply lodged and integrated in a society that basically functions and operates on dissociating its people from one and other into foreign and discrete factions in order for designated people to exploit "other" designated people strictly for selfish gain from just far enough of a distance so as to not affect everyone's ability to sleep at night, well, when you care in a system that cares not for you or anything really, that is, to say the very least, incredibly difficult to bite, swallow and chew.

Tangent, sorry :/

Isn't that case closed right there^^^?

Either Captain Chick is Holden Caulfield or Holden Caulfield was E/INFP.

Captain Caulfield holden' chicks... hee hee.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Isn't that case closed right there^^^?

Either Captain Chick is Holden Caulfield or Holden Caulfield was E/INFP.

Captain Caulfield holden' chicks... hee hee.
Hmmmm...Interesting. :jew: