• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hamlet

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think the characters may have been typed before, however I don't believe that there exists a specific thread dedicated to arguably the greatest work of literature in the English language.

Prince Hamlet: INFP
Ophelia: ISFJ
Polonius: ENTP
Gertrude: ESFP
Claudius: ESTP
Laertes: ENFJ
Ghost/King Hamlet: ESTJ
Horatio: ISFP
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern: ENTJ
Fortinbras: ISTJ
Osric: INTP
Players: ENFP vibe
Gravedigger: ISTP

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are both bumbling, foolish ESFPs.
Not to knock the ESFPs of course, ;)

If you are basing ENTJ off "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern", I think that was made to portray them as being opposite to how they were portrayed in Hamlet.

I think Hamlet is an INTP- one who is deeply melancholy.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are both bumbling, foolish ESFPs.
Not to knock the ESFPs of course, ;)

If you are basing ENTJ off "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern", I think that was made to portray them as being opposite to how they were portrayed in Hamlet.

I think Hamlet is an INTP- one who is deeply melancholy.

ESFPs would seem to be the one of the last types to betray their friend and attempt to kill him. Are two ESFPs so conspiritorial?

Surely an INTP Hamlet would not let emotions get in his way of achieving his goals so readily? And surely it would be the NF that more readily descends into madness after the murder of his father and his mother's subsequent marriage and possible complicity with the murderer?

Hamlet's emotions so often affect his actions (the bed scene, killing Polonius)

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
That's a good point about R & G.
However, I wasn't under the impression that they were especially close friends of Hamlet.
I can't see them being NTs at all. I will settle for ST but not NT.

It is true that Hamlet's emotions did affect his actions but you have to remember that Hamlet was not exactly in a healthy state. As it could have been explained by an 'in-control' Fi, his actions could equally be explained by an out-of-control Fe.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's a good point about R & G.
However, I wasn't under the impression that they were especially close friends of Hamlet.
I can't see them being NTs at all. I will settle for ST but not NT.

It is true that Hamlet's emotions did affect his actions but you have to remember that Hamlet was not exactly in a healthy state. As it could have been explained by an 'in-control' Fi, his actions could equally be explained by an out-of-control Fe.

You're not swaying my opinion on both counts

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I can see Hamlet as an INFP. Very moved by how he felt at the moment. Huge procrastinator. And most everyone in my English class thought he was a pussy, while I defended him.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Just out of interest, why do you think Ophelia is an S rather than N?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Just out of interest, why do you think Ophelia is an S rather than N?

She is very loyal to her family over anything else, even when they are using her for their own gain or are being hypocritical which is very ISFJ. She also lacks N type insight to see through Hamlet's facade of madness, she takes him at face value, and it eventually contributes to her death.

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
Isn't Hamlet an NFJ?
A lot of sites will list him as INFJ or for the socionic or whatever it is called quiz has him as an ENFJ.
Based on his monologues I would say he is a depressed:ENFJ

Hamlet: ENFJ
Horatio: INTP
Gertrude: ESFP
Claudius: ESTP
Polonius: ENTP (It is debatable and open to interpretation if Polonius knew of Claudius act or even did it with him, but Polonius seems way too dishonest to be an SJ) To thine own self be true is verbal irony at it's finest. He doesn't mean any of it, consider how honest he is in the book. His advice is meant to be seen through, unfortunately his son happens to, well trust him.
Ophelia: INFP (I imagine introverted feelers are very loyal and NFP's can be gullible as well, why should she see through all of this? 30 years of her life she has been able to count on her father, hamlet, brother, etc...at least to achieve what was a normal life. She seems like an N to me)
Laertes: ESTP (Wanted to go party at act 1)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern: INTJ (Based off of R&G are dead)