• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trent Reznor

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Nope.

When I listen to Ani DiFranco or Trent Reznor I do not project, rather, I *relate* and *connect*.
You're quite literally projecting. You think because you feel similarly about whatever, he got there the same way you did.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I only deeply relate to a few people in this world.

In other words, I understand/get a lot of people, yet I actually identify myself with a limited few.

It takes one to know one.

Trent Reznor is one of these select few. Charles Bukowski and Ani DiFranco also being part of this crew.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trent an ISFP or INTJ ?

Didums

The idea that you can classify someone's personality on one aspect of his or her being, in this case music, is pushing the envelope.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The idea that you can classify someone's personality on one aspect of his or her being, in this case music, is pushing the envelope.

Welcome to typologycentral.com: home of the braves
but music is so personal.....

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Reznor's complicated because the only real avenue we have into his psyche via biography .... and Nine inch nails lyrics are VERY ambiguous and cryptic. I remember reading the reviews for Capital G "being political" because it was about Bush..... Lol ! Wrong G, dudes!

I still think no one really gets Reznor's work. The lyrics of nine inch nails are essentially a dialogue over time of a philosophical skeptic, who is bitter and angrily rejecting the Judeo-Christian God, slowing becoming a kind of intellectual pascifist that is accepting of "needed" concepts like salvation, but ends up leaving the being empty and shallow. The change in mental energy from "downward spiral" to recent works isn't Reznor "mellowing out", it's a part of the whole "Now I'm Nothing" transition.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reznor's complicated because the only real avenue we have into his psyche via biography .... and Nine inch nails lyrics are VERY ambiguous and cryptic. I remember reading the reviews for Capital G "being political" because it was about Bush..... Lol ! Wrong G, dudes!

I still think no one really gets Reznor's work. The lyrics of nine inch nails are essentially a dialogue over time of a philosophical skeptic, who is bitter and angrily rejecting the Judeo-Christian God, slowing becoming a kind of intellectual pascifist that is accepting of "needed" concepts like salvation, but ends up leaving the being empty and shallow. The change in mental energy from "downward spiral" to recent works isn't Reznor "mellowing out", it's a part of the whole "Now I'm Nothing" transition.

Well put.
" Getting Smaller " / "Only"

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
All The Love In The World - NinWiki - Your source for information on Nine Inch Nails, Nine Inch Nails The Slip, and NIN

All The Love In The World:

Watching all the insects march along
Seem to know just right where they belong
Smears of face reflecting in the chrome
Hiding in the crowd I'm all alone
No one's heard a single word I've said
They don't sound as good outside my head
Looks as though the past is here to stay
I've become a million miles a-

Why do you get all the love in the world?

All the jagged edges disappear
Colors all look brighter when you're near
The stars are all afire in the sky
Sometimes I get so lonely I could

Why do you get all the love in the world?

Additional lyrics printed in the With Teeth PDF booklet, but not appearing in the song itself

Why am I always watching from the outside?
On the other side of the glass
Behind the glass.
Always watching everyone,
Separate, watching, always
Don't touch.
This is getting deeper
As time goes by,
The water's getting colder.
Here I am surrounded by people but still all alone,
I am always alone.
Even with myself,
Imprisoned in my head.
And there doesn't seem to be any way out,
And I am so fucking sick of here,
Wish I was there.
Right beside is still
A million miles away.
Behind these bars.
In a rut.
Anyplace else will do.
Hello?
Don't think so.
Broadcasting,
Only static coming in.
No one can hear me when I'm here.

I just came across these unsung lyrics for the first time, tonight, (All the Love in the World is one of my favorite NIN songs), and I am floored... :wub:

I have to run an errand, but I will post my analysis of these lyrics when I get back.

Gawd, Trent Reznor....

:wub:

Here is the song YouTube - Tenchi Muyo - All the love in the world

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
They're lyrics. Do you expect him to write songs about systems analysis?

You can't type people from such a specialized task as songwriting. Period. If you could do that, you could call anyone who got an A on a math test T.

Danielson

MBTI Type
INFJ
He´s clearly a rational, Also rather extraverted.
He´s ENTP or ENTJ

theplacesyoullgo

I agree that if at all possible, typing should not be done based upon lyrics.

I skimmed through this thread and also wanted to mention (although I'm sure the post was from months ago) that I don't think it's fair to make a case for or against a certain type using a video of a person in an obviously intoxicated state.

I've always got INTP from Reznor (and I've followed his career for years), possibly INTJ. Here's a very recent and low-key video of Trent. Opinions? I think he's pretty strong on all three of the INT preferences.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've always got INTP from Reznor (and I've followed his career for years), possibly INTJ. Here's a very recent and low-key video of Trent. Opinions? I think he's pretty strong on all three of the INT preferences.
Very recent would mean over age 40, so he like nearly everyone would be rather balanced and harder to type.

Historically he's been...Well the easiest way to describe it is "ENTP," but...More impulsive, more drawn to action, more engaging, and less quality-control oriented than an INTP (Or INTJ, which again, is a laughable type sugg. for Reznor). He exhibits the common traits of ENTP musicians. Another, with relatively similar persuasions (and personality), is Sascha Konietzko of KMFDM. INTPs, when they create art, are more controlled in the task, producing that with more refined composition (Which doesn't mean better, by itself).

theplacesyoullgo

Historically he's been...Well the easiest way to describe it is "ENTP," but...More impulsive, more drawn to action, more engaging, and less quality-control oriented than an INTP

I have to disagree with that. He used to be known as a meticulous perfectionist - remember how he'd put out one album every five years or so? Not impulsive at all.

I've always thought he was quite self-contained, from those embarrassing leaked videos from the 80s to that video I linked to last night.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have to disagree with that. He used to be known as a meticulous perfectionist - remember how he'd put out one album every five years or so? Not impulsive at all.

I've always thought he was quite self-contained, from those embarrassing leaked videos from the 80s to that video I linked to last night.
Have you listened to The Fragile, and the one after that? I know you have. At best, half the songs are decent. And have you read any of the 500 threads on this site about "Reserved ENTPs?" Not that he's exceptionally reserved, not compared to most INTPs. Regardless, I know what an ENTP is, and what an INTP is, and Reznor's ENTP.

theplacesyoullgo

Have you listened to The Fragile, and the one after that? I know you have. At best, half the songs are decent. And have you read any of the 500 threads on this site about "Reserved ENTPs?" Not that he's exceptionally reserved, not compared to most INTPs. Regardless, I know what an ENTP is, and what an INTP is, and Reznor's ENTP.

Yep, I have, and don't necessarily agree with your assessment; I like far over half the songs. Still, I don't think our personal judgment of an album speaks to whether the creator was a perfectionist in creating it. For all we know, he thought both of those albums were completely "5/5 stars" brilliant.

It's hard to respond to your last line because anyone could easily say the same thing. Agree to disagree, I guess. I actually know quite a few ENTPs, and he reminds me of none of them. It's interesting you've decided to flip the E/I preference from what he's normally typed as, because throughout the thread, it seems nearly all agreed on the IN but no one could reach a consensus on T vs. F and P vs. J.

Edit: Was just looking back through the thread and found this linked, in which he (verbatim) says, "I will isolate if left to my own devices." Not that one quote is "proof" of anything, but like I said, I'm going to personally stick with I for Reznor.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
navel-gazing, angst-ridden INFP

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Edit: Was just looking back through the thread and found this linked, in which he (verbatim) says, "I will isolate if left to my own devices." Not that one quote is "proof" of anything, but like I said, I'm going to personally stick with I for Reznor.
And I had a good ENTP friend who talked about hibernating in the winter, rarely to leave home unless it was necessary, and did it too.

There hasn't been a consensus of "IN" in this thread, and I'll try never to stop correcting those who think he's anything but ENTP, not for your sakes, but the less-experienced with MBTI.