• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trent Reznor

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
And, pfft!!!

I think both Ns and Ss are prone to be assholes and idiots as well as angels and sages, alike.

They are just fundamentally different in the way they view/process the world/information.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
People go soul searching to write lyrics. We're all capable of introspection.

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
I vs E: First of all, Trent is definitely NOT an E. Most certainly an I.

"In contrast to his on stage personality, Reznor is often credited to be shy, soft spoken and a bit of a recluse."
"Trent Reznor struggled with depression, social anxiety disorder, and the death of his grandmother (who raised him)."

Sounds like an introvert to me. An extrovert suffering from social anxiety? Sounds like an oxymoron.

N vs. S: Secondly, definitely N over S. His music has always been fairly innovative (at least it was in the 90s) and unique. He also claims David Bowie's "Low" is his favourite album. Anyone familiar with that album knows it's definitely one of Bowie's weirder albums. Seems like an N taste.

"Reznor is a fan of David Bowie, and has cited Bowie's 1977 album Low as one of his favorite albums. Reznor has stated that he played the album constantly during the recording of The Downward Spiral for inspiration."

T vs F:
In my opinion T over F. I think writing ANY lyrics requires digging into your F side so I can't see how quoting lyrics that show emotions proves he is an F (Ts have feelings too). When I listen to NIN the feelings I hear are very raw, almost childlike, which to me sounds like the repressed, underdeveloped feelings of a T. I would think a natural F would be much more eloquent at expressing their emotions. The feelings would be much deeper. Just think of "Starf**kers, Inc.". It was basically directed at Marilyn Manson. It's a great song but in reality is quite petty... childish even----> underdeveloped F side -----> Trent=T

P vs J: On this one I am really not sure. Trent apparently has amazing work ethic and is quite the perfectionist. Seems like a J trait. Doesn't sound like the open-ended laziness characteristic of a P (no offence Ps). Then again, INTPs CAN become obsessive in certain areas. Not sure on this one.

INTJ? INTP?

*All the quotes are from the "Trent Reznor" wikipedia entry.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I suggest browsing around for all the mention of reserved ENTPs out there. IMO he's much more likely ENTP than INTP.

outmywindow

MBTI Type
INTP
An INTJ would not have come up with the video for Closer. I might guess INFP.
TR didn't come up with that video. David Fincher did.

Check out this video (especially the last few minutes). Dude is not an F.

YouTube - Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails - The New Music Interview

For the record, I've (admittedly) watched a lot of interviews with the man, and I'd say the above one is easily one of the most relaxed and 'honest' that I've seen. Personally, I go with INTJ, but since we'll never know and his type doesn't really matter in terms of my continued enjoyment of his music, I don't dwell on the answer too much.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I seriously doubt he's an F. I'd go more with the XNTP theory, after all.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
TR didn't come up with that video. David Fincher did.

Check out this video (especially the last few minutes). Dude is not an F.

YouTube - Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails - The New Music Interview

For the record, I've (admittedly) watched a lot of interviews with the man, and I'd say the above one is easily one of the most relaxed and 'honest' that I've seen. Personally, I go with INTJ, but since we'll never know and his type doesn't really matter in terms of my continued enjoyment of his music, I don't dwell on the answer too much.

Wow...he came off really confident in that video. None of the shy vulnerability that most artists that I see as NF seem to exude.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I was good friends with an ENTP who showed a lot of the same tendencies of character. Very intelligent, intentionally acted in a controversial manner, abrasive, showed emotion easily, and quite importantly, had a strong need to modify the world in some way.

AvereX's ISFP typing caught me off guard, so I went with ESFP first, but the more I think about it the more he's very likely ENTP by the numbers.

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
I suggest browsing around for all the mention of reserved ENTPs out there. IMO he's much more likely ENTP than INTP.

there is a difference between being reserved and having social anxiety disorder. i would expect social anxiety to point to trent being I, not E.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
there is a difference between being reserved and having social anxiety disorder. i would expect social anxiety to point to trent being I, not E.
Theoretically, I'd say "quite to the contrary!" Because an E with an anxiety disorder could appear to be I to the layman.

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
Theoretically, I'd say "quite to the contrary!" Because an E with an anxiety disorder could appear to be I to the layman.

which do you think social anxiety is more prevalent among, I or E?

i can't provide any hard evidence but i would expect it to be much more prevalent in I. which gives me good reason to think trent could be an I. i don't think there is any overwhelming evidence pointing to him being an E so i don't see why it's not plausible.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well, I posted some evidence, however whelming you find it is up to you. In one interview, he said (I quote almost verbatim, regarding being in the studio for a long time) "I just needed to be around people again."

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I posted some evidence, however whelming you find it is up to you. In one interview, he said (I quote almost verbatim, regarding being in the studio for a long time) "I just needed to be around people again."

are you referring to the "reznor entp" google search? not sure if that convinces me. i wouldn't think needing to see people after being holed up in a studio for months at a time necessarily means you are an extrovert either. i'm definitely an introvert and sometimes i need to be around people, part of being human.

i also am not so convinced on the P. his work ethic and perfectionism seems like a J trait. a quote from someone he worked with in a studio prior to NIN:

"so focused in everything he [did]. When that guy waxed the floor, it looked great."

i can't imagine an NP being "focused". they are usually too busy daydreaming to be bothered to wax a floor to perfection. i realize this is only one quote and it's a bit naive to extrapolate so much but it seems to be the same way he works with NIN. tireless, focused... true perfectionist. endlessly layering samples. again, INTPs can definitely get into the uber-focused mode and work tirelessly at something they are interested in so you never know. it's hard to make guesses like these without really knowing the person, just the art... but that's what makes this so fun.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I was more referring to the characteristics I discussed. He is a LOT like my good ENTP friend, who would game or computer program without leaving his room for days at a time.

Also, judging art can be a bad idea, because it can come from many "directions." I try to judge based on behavior, such as in interviews.

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
I was more referring to the characteristics I discussed. He is a LOT like my good ENTP friend, who would game or computer program without leaving his room for days at a time.

Also, judging art can be a bad idea, because it can come from many "directions." I try to judge based on behavior, such as in interviews.

right, but that trait could be associated with many different types, not just ENTP. it could fit with an INTP, INTJ, etc... it's a pretty vague characteristic. i prefer to break it down into each of the 4 preferences. as far as I vs E goes i think trent exhibits more I traits than E traits.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
right, but that trait could be associated with many different types, not just ENTP. it could fit with an INTP, INTJ, etc... it's a pretty vague characteristic. i prefer to break it down into each of the 4 preferences. as far as I vs E goes i think trent exhibits more I traits than E traits.
You were saying "HE DOES X BECAUSE OF INTROVERSION." And I'm saying "NOT NECSSARLY DUDE," and now you're saying "WELL ANYONE CAN DO THAT ACTUALLY."

Do you see my point? You've removed your argument that he's introverted. Well done.