User Tag List

First 123 Last

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'd likely go with INTP for Coleridge with a heavy "maybe" and acknowledgment that INFP is just about as likely. Wordsworth, I'm not sure about- maybe ISFJ.
    I'm inclined to agree with you on Coleridge. I'd like to know how you came to type WW as ISFJ, as this was my initail instinct with him.
    4w5 sp

heart on fire

I must have missed the Blake thread, heart. I love Blake. I would guess INFJ for a number of reasons, foremost being that he seems to be VERY ni-dominant. That, and INFJ and mystic are so inextricably linked in my mind. Also, his systemic approach seem Jish. But INFP would not be far behind INFJ, and I probably wouldn't entertain any other types for him.
    The only reason I want to NFP is that he is so fascinated with dualism and many of his core ideology falling so close in line with many Jung ideas that also struck a cord within me about dualism. He definately wanted to place order into his visionary framework which seems more internal judger than internal perception...But I am unsure. I'm certainly no expert!

I would definitely agree with ISFP for Shelley, ENTP for Byron, and INFP for Keats. No doubt. I'd likely go with INTP for Coleridge with a heavy "maybe" and acknowledgment that INFP is just about as likely. Wordsworth, I'm not sure about- maybe ISFJ.

I haven't read that much about Wordsworth's life to feel secure making a guess, but I tend to agree with your choices for Coleridge and also Mary Shelly (fascinating persona) and Mary W. definately.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you on Coleridge. I'd like to know how you came to type WW as ISFJ, as this was my initail instinct with him.
    A lot of that was the way that he nurtured and cared for STC, which reminded me very much of the INTP/ISFJ relationships I've seen in real life. He also seemed to focus on the natural world and a direct appreciation of it. Some people would assume N for any poet, and especially one who speaks as much as WW did of transcendence. But I don't think transcendence is outside the realm of the ISFJ, far from it. He speaks of it in a very organic, hands-on way, IMO.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A lot of that was the way that he nurtured and cared for STC, which reminded me very much of the INTP/ISFJ relationships I've seen in real life. He also seemed to focus on the natural world and a direct appreciation of it. Some people would assume N for any poet, and especially one who speaks as much as WW did of transcendence. But I don't think transcendence is outside the realm of the ISFJ, far from it. He speaks of it in a very organic, hands-on way, IMO.
    WW does seem to do transcendence in a very S way. Remember that the WW/STC relationship was not always sanguine. They were not on speaking terms by the end of their lives.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    WW does seem to do transcendence in a very S way. Remember that the WW/STC relationship was not always sanguine. They were not on speaking terms by the end of their lives.
    No, I know that--but for many years he was very, very patient and supportive with STC, and even esteemed his philosophical talent above his own (though STC believed WW to be the superior poet). When he stopped associating with STC it was over STC's addicition to laudanum. I got the impression WW was sad about having to wash his hands of STC but realized he couldn't single-handedly pull him out of the funk.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

No, I know that--but for many years he was very, very patient and supportive with STC, and even esteemed his philosophical talent above his own (though STC believed WW to be the superior poet). When he stopped associating with STC it was over STC's addicition to laudanum. I got the impression WW was sad about having to wash his hands of STC but realized he couldn't single-handedly pull him out of the funk.
    Hmm. I concur. Funny how there seems to be very few ISFJ poets, yet the one that there is is one of the best that the world has ever seen. Maybe more ISFJs should take up poetry
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Si+Fe can make a heck of a poet, I think. ISFJs are singularly observant about the natural world, as well as the social world in a way that is neither outsider nor insider.

Sniffles

I've seen Blake classified as an Introverted Intuitive.

Wonderful idea for a thread. The Romantic Poets are probably among my favorites. Perhaps we should expand it beyond just English Romantic poets, but also explore Continental ones too.

Goethe I know is often classifed as INFJ, and he was a proto-Romantic.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Mary Shelley, while not a Romantic poet, seems fairly INFP to me.

Mary Wollestonecraft, INTJ maybe? Possibly even an E.
    I'd agree that Mary Shelley is an INFP.
    4w5 sp