• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Intellectuals

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Christopher Hitchens: ENTP
Richard Dawkins: INTJ
Noam Chomsky: INTP
Stephen Fry: ENFJ
Steven Pinker: INTP
Niall Ferguson: INTP
Simon Schama: INFJ
Naomi Klein - INFJ

Just my opinion...Living people only please :)

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Prob. right about Orwell--That's what I've heard and it makes perfect sense. Keep in mind that he's unusually bright for any type

I think Dawkins is INTP.

Fry could be ENFJ methinks.

The others: ?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Prob. right about Orwell--That's what I've heard and it makes perfect sense. Keep in mind that he's unusually bright for any type

I think Dawkins is INTP.

Fry could be ENFJ methinks.

The others: ?

Well I don't mean to get into theological debate here, but I think that Dawkins' unbudging intolerance of faith suggests J. Also, he's been constantly writing books like clockwork every three or four years for decades - that sort of organisation is more likely to suggest a J type.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well I don't mean to get into theological debate here, but I think that Dawkins' unbudging intolerance of faith suggests J. Also, he's been constantly writing books like clockwork every three or four years for decades - that sort of organisation is more likely to suggest a J type.
Au contraire. If you want to get into an argument about whether P or J is more likely to be anti faith, I'm on the P side. Because Ps generally keep their options open. Make sense to you?

Besides, I have the same views as he on all religion. I'm quieter about it than I used to be, but quite INTP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Au contraire. If you want to get into an argument about whether P or J is more likely to be anti faith, I'm on the P side. Because Ps generally keep their options open. Make sense to you?

It makes sense (although a P will more likely be agnostic than atheist). If a J is raised in a very secular household, they might very well grow up to be a strong atheist.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Besides, I have the same views as he on all religion. I'm quieter about it than I used to be, but quite INTP.

Yes but would a INTP be quite as determined as he in trying to make everyone believe in what he believes in? A P would probably be less outspoken about his/her beliefs. Plus, I don't really see Dawkins as the 'easy going, go with the flow' type that Ps tend to be. Do you?

Last edited:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
A P would probably be less outspoken about his/her beliefs

...unless the P is getting paid for his/her thoughts and beliefs. Which is the case for public intellectuals. And the intellectual world is better suited for those with an open mind, NP's rather than NJ's.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay I think we seem to agree that Dawkins is an INTX. What about any of the others?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I can't stand hitchens, personally. I would argue in a completely different way.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Dawkins is not an INTP, nope, not at all. I would say that he is either an ENTJ or an INTJ.

Chomsky is an INTP for sure!

Harold Bloom: INFJ

E.O. Wilson: INFP or INTP

Oliver Sacks: ENTP, or ENFP

Ernst Mayr: INTP

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Shakespeare: INFP

Darwin: INTP

Descartes: INFJ

Lucretius: ENFP

Socrates: One could never know but ENTP seems the likely fit

Kant: INTJ

Pascal: INTP, maybe

Lao Tzu: INFP

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Socrates is INTP (and so is Dawkins). And I disown Pascal, calling him likely INFP purely based on his "wager." I haven't read Pascal, no.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

The clockwork books suggest J but...sticking to positions is very IP. There's nothing very openminded about INTPs or INFPs--have you tried to change their principles or values? Not gonna happen. REmember, their dominant functions are their Judging functions...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Socrates is INTP (and so is Dawkins). And I disown Pascal, calling him likely INFP purely based on his "wager." I haven't read Pascal, no.
LOL!

On second thought, Socrates may have been an ENFP, what he DEFINITELY was NOT, was an INTP.

What, if any, Dawkins have you read? He is a Te user for sure. Also, have you ever heard him speak?

Pascal was an INTP, an INTP with health problems.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I used to think Dawkins was an INTJ until I remembered that INTJs are supposed to know what they don't know. I'm gonna go with ESFJ to piss everyone off.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
LOL!

On second thought, Socrates may have been an ENFP, what he DEFINITELY was NOT, was an INTP.

What, if any, Dawkins have you read? He is a Te user for sure. Also, have you ever heard him speak?

Pascal was an INTP, an INTP with health problems.
Your confidence alone is enough cause for me to completely disregard your typings of people forever. I am completely serious. No offense.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I used to think Dawkins was an INTJ until I remembered that INTJs are supposed to know what they don't know.
Lol, Dawkins is most certainly an arrogant bastard, that is why I think he might be an ENTJ.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Your confidence alone is enough cause for me to completely disregard your typings of people forever. I am completely serious. No offense.
Awesome Blossom!!!

Now it is time for you to *support* your beliefs as to why Socrates and Dawkins are both INTPs.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Awesome Blossom!!!

Now it is time for you to *support* your beliefs as to why Socrates and Dawkins are both INTPs.
Being INTP myself, I have special insight here. When you read or hear the work of someone and it sounds exactly as if you could have written it yourself, it hits you pretty hard.

I read the work of some INFPs, INTJs, or other types, and I identify, but the comparison is very demonstrative of what actual type identity means.

I don't need to convince you, but your brashness in typing certainly throws me for a loop.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Being INTP myself, I have special insight here. When you read or hear the work of someone and it sounds exactly as if you could have written it yourself, it hits you pretty hard.

I read the work of some INFPs, INTJs, or other types, and I identify, but the comparison is very demonstrative of what actual type identity means.

I don't need to convince you, but your brashness in typing certainly throws me for a loop.
Um, Socrates was not a writer and hence, did not write a single thing.

:huh:

What we know of him primarily comes from Plato's writings.