• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Intellectuals

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Um, Socrates was not a writer and hence, did not write a single thing.

:huh:

What we know of him primarily comes from Plato's writings.
So literal. Pretend I said "ideas." I'll tell you Plato's type too: HACK.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My original intention with this thread was to try to keep the subjects pretty contemporary, with the cheeky exception of Orwell, as most of the philosophers of old have been typed already.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My original intention with this thread was to try to keep the subjects pretty contemporary, with the cheeky exception of Orwell, as most of the philosophers of old have been typed already.
Haha, that was what I initially thought and then I saw Orwell and figured all the dead were game.

So, what have the philosophers of old been typed as?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Haha, that was what I initially thought and then I saw Orwell and figured all the dead were game.

So, what have the philosophers of old been typed as?

I guess you'd have to do a search of the old message boards

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
M Scott Peck (Road Less Traveled which introduced the radical idea that life really is difficult; get over it) talked about type in his last few books. His preferences were INTJ and the arguments he makes on euthanasia bear it out.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
M Scott Peck (Road Less Traveled which introduced the radical idea that life really is difficult; get over it) talked about type in his last few books. His preferences were INTJ and the arguments he makes on euthanasia bear it out.
Sounds Nietsche-esque. Another INTJ, correct?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Sounds Nietsche-esque. Another INTJ, correct?

It's time to admit I never took Philosophy. Read basic Plato/Socrates/Descartes in religion classes but on this forum I feel like I've got some remedial reading to do...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Really? Huh, fascinating. I read this book in my early 20's and remember agreeing with nearly all of it. I guess I would have thought he was an NFJ, but I suppose that's my confusing the subject matter with what is more typically talked about in NF circles; but obviously NT's can make excellent therapists too.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I know she's dead now, but what about someone like Susan Sontag? She was a contemporary public intellectual. I say INFJ.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't stand hitchens, personally. I would argue in a completely different way.

I've only seen him on a couple interviews and never heard him speak at length or read any of his books, but he has always impressed me as someone who can argue convincingly even ideas I'm completely opposed to without offending me. Even if its extremely doubtful that I'd change my mind on something, I appreciate people who can argue the other side with calm civility and give a good idea of why they beleive what they do and why they think others should agree with them, and thats how he as come across to me in the interviews I've seen of him.

All I've read of Socrates is the Apology by Plato, but I feel I strongly agree with a lot of the values he presents - especialy the need to chalenge and contemplate an idea before one accepts it as one of ones own beleifs or values.

Last edited:

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've changed my typing of Hitchens from ENTJ to ENTP. This is because I recalled an interview with Hitchens in his study, and it was a shambolic mess with piles and piles of books, papers, notes etc arranged in no particular order. Also, the man seems determined to go against the flow, just for the sake of argument - attacking Mother Teresa, Kissinger, God etc, and I remember hearing that Hitchens will just argue against anything for the sake of being contrarian! J's seem more likely to tow the line, and whilst that would by no means define the man as a P in itself, I think in addition to how disorganised his room was, he can be safely typed as a P.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've changed my typing of Hitchens from ENTJ to ENTP. This is because I recalled an interview with Hitchens in his study, and it was a shambolic mess with piles and piles of books, papers, notes etc arranged in no particular order. Also, the man seems determined to go against the flow, just for the sake of argument - attacking Mother Teresa, Kissinger, God etc, and I remember hearing that Hitchens will just argue against anything for the sake of being contrarian! J's seem more likely to tow the line, and whilst that would by no means define the man as a P in itself, I think in addition to how disorganised his room was, he can be safely typed as a P.

I agree with this. It seems like people want to type him as a J just because he's kind of a dick and appears arrogant.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
not that im a total expert on Dawkins, but having just read "The God Delusion", I would say that he sounds more like a generalist extrovert. I realize that as a professor of science, he can hardly be accused of lacking depth in knowledge (he has a PhD for shits sake). However, when he communicates, i get the sense that he is a primary Te user.

he often goes for the clear concise example, instead of tediously defining core arguments. He also seems to be more blunt and less serious then I would expect an INTP to be. He seems to really avoid beating the dead horse as far as the depth he ever explores any particular topic in his books. You definitively get the sense that he wrote the table of contents before he wrote the actual book (tons of mini chapters listed in the Table of Contents whose titles almost define the "argument" of the book by themselves). You definitely get the sense, that this is a professor, who doesn't mind "talking" or lecturing for the sake of lecturing. He does beat a dead horse by writing a million books like clockwork. He constantly wants another chance to have the last word. However, in his actual book, he is on the opposite end and usually steers the direction of concise and thus shallow depth.

If he isn't ENTP, then I would definitely vote for ENTJ. I do not think he is INTJ or INTP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
not that im a total expert on Dawkins, but having just read "The God Delusion", I would say that he sounds more like a generalist extrovert.

he often goes for the clear concise example, instead of tediously defining core arguments. He also seems to be more blunt and less serious then I would expect and INTP to be. He seems to really avoid beating the dead horse as far as the depth he ever explores any particular topic. You definitaly get the sense, that this is a professor, who doesn't mind "talking" or lecturing for the sake of lecturing. He does beat a dead horse by writing a million books like clockwork. He constantly wants another chance to have the last word. However, in his actual book, he is on the opposite end and usually steers the direction of concise and thus shallow depth.

If he isn't ENTP, then I would definitely vote for ENTJ. I do not think he is INTJ or INTP.

Yeah I agree on him being an extrovert, especially after him seeing him on that news/talk show circuit he did after his book release.

S

Sniffles

Your confidence alone is enough cause for me to completely disregard your typings of people forever. I am completely serious. No offense.

Why stop with just her typings of people? Surely there's plenty more you could disregard.

Anyways....Pascal was INTP. His achievements as a mathematician certainly points in that direction. I'll admit that the tone of the Penees gives off a more NF impression, but then again I have noticed this tendency among INTPs now and then. Jennifer being an example here.

Orwell is usually classified as INFP.

I can go along with Hitchens being ENTP. That could explain why I'm somewhat conflicted on the man. I have more respect for him as a writer than as a TV personality. On TV or public appearance, he comes off as a drunken loudmouth buffoon who spouts outrageous shit. In his writings, he comes across as more articulate and level-headed. I absolutely love his writing style. I enjoyed reading his book on Orwell, despite some errors and flaws of fact and argument.

I did get a kick out of one incident where a drunken Hitchens started to badger on about how evil religion is, and noticed a priest in his audience. So he walked over to the priest and started harrassing him. After a short exchange between the two, the priest stood up and told Hitchens right to his face, "You will either die a Catholic or in an insane asylum."

I laughed so hard when I heard that. :D

I'll coment on the others later.

S

Sniffles

Yeah, Simon Schama's so INFJ it hurts. :)

I very much enjoyed his series "A History of Britain". So I more than welcome him into our ranks.

I know he's dead, but has anybody classifed Jean-Paul Sartre? I would be very interested in knowing what type he was.

Concerning living intellectuals: I'd appreciate the classifications of either Alasdair MacIntyre or Charles Taylor.