User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I know she's dead now, but what about someone like Susan Sontag? She was a contemporary public intellectual. I say INFJ.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I can't stand hitchens, personally. I would argue in a completely different way.
    I've only seen him on a couple interviews and never heard him speak at length or read any of his books, but he has always impressed me as someone who can argue convincingly even ideas I'm completely opposed to without offending me. Even if its extremely doubtful that I'd change my mind on something, I appreciate people who can argue the other side with calm civility and give a good idea of why they beleive what they do and why they think others should agree with them, and thats how he as come across to me in the interviews I've seen of him.

All I've read of Socrates is the Apology by Plato, but I feel I strongly agree with a lot of the values he presents - especialy the need to chalenge and contemplate an idea before one accepts it as one of ones own beleifs or values.
    Last edited by TenebrousReflection; 09-18-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: append more text.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've changed my typing of Hitchens from ENTJ to ENTP. This is because I recalled an interview with Hitchens in his study, and it was a shambolic mess with piles and piles of books, papers, notes etc arranged in no particular order. Also, the man seems determined to go against the flow, just for the sake of argument - attacking Mother Teresa, Kissinger, God etc, and I remember hearing that Hitchens will just argue against anything for the sake of being contrarian! J's seem more likely to tow the line, and whilst that would by no means define the man as a P in itself, I think in addition to how disorganised his room was, he can be safely typed as a P.
    4w5 sp

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    I've changed my typing of Hitchens from ENTJ to ENTP. This is because I recalled an interview with Hitchens in his study, and it was a shambolic mess with piles and piles of books, papers, notes etc arranged in no particular order. Also, the man seems determined to go against the flow, just for the sake of argument - attacking Mother Teresa, Kissinger, God etc, and I remember hearing that Hitchens will just argue against anything for the sake of being contrarian! J's seem more likely to tow the line, and whilst that would by no means define the man as a P in itself, I think in addition to how disorganised his room was, he can be safely typed as a P.
    I agree with this. It seems like people want to type him as a J just because he's kind of a dick and appears arrogant.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah, Simon Schama's so INFJ it hurts.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

not that im a total expert on Dawkins, but having just read "The God Delusion", I would say that he sounds more like a generalist extrovert. I realize that as a professor of science, he can hardly be accused of lacking depth in knowledge (he has a PhD for shits sake). However, when he communicates, i get the sense that he is a primary Te user.

he often goes for the clear concise example, instead of tediously defining core arguments. He also seems to be more blunt and less serious then I would expect an INTP to be. He seems to really avoid beating the dead horse as far as the depth he ever explores any particular topic in his books. You definitively get the sense that he wrote the table of contents before he wrote the actual book (tons of mini chapters listed in the Table of Contents whose titles almost define the "argument" of the book by themselves). You definitely get the sense, that this is a professor, who doesn't mind "talking" or lecturing for the sake of lecturing. He does beat a dead horse by writing a million books like clockwork. He constantly wants another chance to have the last word. However, in his actual book, he is on the opposite end and usually steers the direction of concise and thus shallow depth.

If he isn't ENTP, then I would definitely vote for ENTJ. I do not think he is INTJ or INTP.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    not that im a total expert on Dawkins, but having just read "The God Delusion", I would say that he sounds more like a generalist extrovert.

he often goes for the clear concise example, instead of tediously defining core arguments. He also seems to be more blunt and less serious then I would expect and INTP to be. He seems to really avoid beating the dead horse as far as the depth he ever explores any particular topic. You definitaly get the sense, that this is a professor, who doesn't mind "talking" or lecturing for the sake of lecturing. He does beat a dead horse by writing a million books like clockwork. He constantly wants another chance to have the last word. However, in his actual book, he is on the opposite end and usually steers the direction of concise and thus shallow depth.

If he isn't ENTP, then I would definitely vote for ENTJ. I do not think he is INTJ or INTP.
    Yeah I agree on him being an extrovert, especially after him seeing him on that news/talk show circuit he did after his book release.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Your confidence alone is enough cause for me to completely disregard your typings of people forever. I am completely serious. No offense.
    Why stop with just her typings of people? Surely there's plenty more you could disregard.

Anyways....Pascal was INTP. His achievements as a mathematician certainly points in that direction. I'll admit that the tone of the Penees gives off a more NF impression, but then again I have noticed this tendency among INTPs now and then. Jennifer being an example here.

Orwell is usually classified as INFP.

I can go along with Hitchens being ENTP. That could explain why I'm somewhat conflicted on the man. I have more respect for him as a writer than as a TV personality. On TV or public appearance, he comes off as a drunken loudmouth buffoon who spouts outrageous shit. In his writings, he comes across as more articulate and level-headed. I absolutely love his writing style. I enjoyed reading his book on Orwell, despite some errors and flaws of fact and argument.

I did get a kick out of one incident where a drunken Hitchens started to badger on about how evil religion is, and noticed a priest in his audience. So he walked over to the priest and started harrassing him. After a short exchange between the two, the priest stood up and told Hitchens right to his face, "You will either die a Catholic or in an insane asylum."

I laughed so hard when I heard that.

I'll coment on the others later.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Yeah, Simon Schama's so INFJ it hurts.
    I very much enjoyed his series "A History of Britain". So I more than welcome him into our ranks.

I know he's dead, but has anybody classifed Jean-Paul Sartre? I would be very interested in knowing what type he was.

Concerning living intellectuals: I'd appreciate the classifications of either Alasdair MacIntyre or Charles Taylor.

MBTI
    INFJ

myself - INFJ

... what..? i'm pretty famous...