• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP comedian: Don Rickles

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hilarious!!

Starry

OMG...I instantly knew I liked you. Finally. Someone that knows ENFPs.

Starry

bump

[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]
I just wanted you to have a glimpse into the future. I don't totally understand all of Don Rickles humor...like some of the things he says I don't totally get why he said them...but that isn't all that unusual with ENFPs. You need to catch how he says the most awful things and then hides his sweet smile and eyes (like he'll look down and start laughing at himself/the weird thing he just said..so ENFP.)

*Soon*

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... I'm thinking I must have seen re-runs of this show on some station when I was a very young kid, as I recognize the guy and some of the other characters. But I don't really remember the show or know anything about it. He is funny. :)

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
bump

[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]
I just wanted you to have a glimpse into the future. I don't totally understand all of Don Rickles humor...like some of the things he says I don't totally get why he said them...but that isn't all that unusual with ENFPs. You need to catch how he says the most awful things and then hides his sweet smile and eyes (like he'll look down and start laughing at himself/the weird thing he just said..so ENFP.)

*Soon*

Often introdused as "Mr. Warmth, Don Rickles". there is a reason for that. Maybe not what some people would consider an ENFP? But he reminds me alot of an ENFP friend of mine, and i sense a strong Fi and Ie. You can probably make an argument for him beeing another type. But me personally, am pretty convinced. He used to roast people like Frank Sinatra, Ronald Reagan, Jonnhy Carson, Dean Martin etc. back in the day. :)

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
Hmm... I'm thinking I must have seen re-runs of this show on some station when I was a very young kid, as I recognize the guy and some of the other characters. But I don't really remember the show or know anything about it. He is funny. :)

The outakes are probably funnier than the show :)

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Often introdused as "Mr. Warmth, Don Rickles".

That nickname was meant to be ironic. From wikipedia:

Best known as an insult comic, he is also an actor, playing both comedic and dramatic roles on film.

[...]

While working in a Miami Beach nightclub known as "Murray Franklin's" early in his career, he spotted Frank Sinatra and remarked to him, "I just saw your movie, The Pride and the Passion and I want to tell you, the cannon's acting was great." He added, "Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody!" Sinatra, whose pet name for Rickles was "bullet-head," enjoyed Rickles so much that he encouraged other celebrities to see Rickles' act and be insulted by him. Sinatra's support helped Rickles become a popular headline performer in Las Vegas. Rickles earned the nicknames "The Merchant of Venom" and "Mr. Warmth" for his insult comedy in which he pokes fun at people of all ethnicities and walks of life. [...]

Rickles was utterly venomous and poisonous and insulting (and hilarious!) in his stand-up routines on the so-called Borscht Belt (the Jewish retreats in the upper Applachains); if you were in the audience, you didn't dare heckle him because he would tear you a new asshole. But he managed to pull off that kind of humor because he could riff so fast, and because he was so ridiculous-looking that it was hard to take him too seriously. But if you see his old stuff from his early days, you would think you were listening to the worst bigot in the world.

Partly because of his venom and his ability to riff so fast, I would say ESTP for Rickles. I think ESTP shows up in the outtakes in the OP in his long, impromptu, frustrated rants about being interrupted (his insults directed at the director or the "guy in the box" or the makeup guy or whoever), or his jibes at his fellow actors when they screw up. When Rickles starts ranting, you can see Richard Lewis trying to calm him down, and all the staff tiptoe around waiting for Rickles to wind down his rant and get back to normal. By the way, Richard Lewis was supposedly the star of the series "Daddy Dearest," and Rickles was a supposed to be a supporting actor. But it's clear from the outtakes that Rickles was the alpha dog and the terror of the set, behind the scenes.

Still, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Rickes is an ENFP. ENFPs can rant and riff with the best, as well.

In any case, it was great to see those outtakes. Whatever his personality type, the guy's a master. One of the true old-school originals.

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
That nickname was meant to be ironic. From wikipedia:

Rickles was utterly venomous and poisonous and insulting in his stand-up routines on the so-called Borscht Belt (the Jewish retreats in the upper Applachains); if you were in the audience, you didn't dare heckle him because he would tear you a new asshole. But he managed to pull off that kind of humor because he could riff so fast, and because he was so ridiculous-looking that it was hard to take him too seriously. But if you see his old stuff, you would think you were listening to the worst bigot in the world.

Partly because of his venom and his ability to riff so fast, I would say ESTP for him. I think it comes out in the outtakes in his long, impromptu, frustrated rants about being interrupted (his insults directed at the director or the "guy in the box" or the makeup guy or whoever), or his jibes at his fellow actors when they screw up. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he's an ENFP. ENFP can rant and riff with the best, as well.

But it was great to see those outtakes. Whatever his personality type, the guy's a master. One of the true old-school originals.

Oh, the nickname is not ironic. There is a reason he can get away with borderline racist remarks, and it's not because people are afraid of him. I'm not saying he's a saint either, but you know it's coming from the right place. I've seen about everything there is to see of Rickles' clips on youtube (I have a mild obsession for Letterman, Rickles and Norm Macdonald) and im not just pulling this out of my ass. Old school guys like Rickles was not brought up to express their feelings like our generations, and it comes through in making fun of people and himself in a "warm" way. Yes he could "riff" incredibly fast. So could Robin Williams (Who is typed ENFP in most typology sites. Including celebrity types). ESTPs can riff fast too, for sure. My little brother is an ESTP, and he is the first to remark some external thing. Often an objective truism. And it's simmular. But if you watch Rickles in action, he is way out there making absurd connections. "You look like a mouse in a state prison" , "put some skates on your face and skate". And his Fi expressiveness. Have you seen an ESTP with such a broad arsenal of "acting feeling"? Nice to see contradictory opinions though ;)

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, the nickname is not ironic.

I think the Wikipedia quote makes it quite clear that it *was* ironic. (See the bolded passage.)

But with that, I'm happy to drop it. I stated my opinion, and I'll leave it at that. Meantime, it's good to see a Rickles fan. I love Rickles's old stuff. Joan Rivers always kind of reminded me of Rickles--the same quickness and the insult humor.

Anyway, welcome to TypoC! If this thread is typical of your tastes, I look forward to seeing many more of your posts! :thumbup:

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
I think the Wikipedia quote makes it quite clear that it *was* ironic. (See the bolded passage.)

But with that, I'm happy to drop it. I stated my opinion, and I'll leave it at that. Meantime, it's good to see a Rickles fan. I love Rickles's old stuff. Joan Rivers always kind of reminded me of Rickles--the same quickness and the insult humor.

Anyway, welcome to TypoC! If this thread is typical of your tastes, I look forward to seeing many more of your posts! :thumbup:

If it was ironic, it has evolved to not be. It's typical of my tastes, so is curb your enthusiasm btw ;) Anyway, thank you sir/madam. i will probably bumb into you later :bye:

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
It's typical of my tastes, so is curb your enthusiasm btw ;)

Now you're *really* appealing to my tastes. And of course Richard Lewis appears in "Curb" as well. I loved seeing a young Richard Lewis in those outtakes of "Daddy Dearest."

Yes indeed, I hope to cross your path again!

Starry

No, I have seen him typed as ENFP before. I agree he can be horrendous. Of all the comedians I've ever seen I think he's the most offensive which in my mind is an argument for...not against ENFP. It's like he can't stop himself from saying the worst thing...which is a common ENFP complaint. I mean, I have only ever seen ENFPs on personality sites speak of this phenomenon. If someone says "no" you must say "yes". If someone says "yes" you now say "no." You feel an ongoing compulsion to do the weirdest thing and for a wealthy, male comedian I could see this trait evolving into vulgarity like it most likely has for Rickles.

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
It's like he can't stop himself from saying the worst thing...which is a common ENFP complaint. I mean, I have only ever seen ENFPs on personality sites speak of this phenomenon. If someone says "no" you must say "yes". If someone says "yes" you now say "no." You feel an ongoing compulsion to do the weirdest thing and for a wealthy, male comedian I could see this trait evolving into vulgarity like it most likely has for Rickles.

^

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If it was ironic, it has evolved to not be. It's typical of my tastes, so is curb your enthusiasm btw ;) Anyway, thank you sir/madam. i will probably bumb into you later :bye:

Oh my... I LOVE Curb!! Such clever comedy. Larry David is amazing. Now that we're on a roll... do you happen to like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia too? Haha. :laugh:

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
Oh my... I LOVE Curb!! Such clever comedy. Larry David is amazing. Now that we're on a roll... do you happen to like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia too? Haha. :laugh:

That is just my favorite show ever. :D Do you like that show?