• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Countries/Ethnicities and Personality

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I was talking with my brother last night, who I have tried unsuccessfully for years to interest in MBTI types and theories. I mentioned something my dad was known for and he said that it was my Dad's "nature" to do that. I asked him what he meant by "nature" and he started referencing the countries my dad is associated with. ( Dad was half Norwegian and half Swedish. ) I argued that there were different MBTI types for each country, versus personality traits associated with countries. He said "I don't know anything about this MBTI stuff, but you're telling me that different nationalities don't have notable personality traits ? How many German comedians do you know of ? But...the trains run on time. But you will think of humor and other traits when you think of Ireland, for example." I said that these are just stereotypes, but he insisted these were formed for a reason etc.

Do you associate any personality traits with countries ?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Interesting thread concept

Based on broad sociopolitical generalizations:

U.S.A. - EStJ
G. Britain - INFP
Japan - ISTJ
Germany - INTJ
Norway - INFP
Russia - iSTP
Canada - ISFP
China - eSTJ
North Korea - ESTJ
Iran - iSTJ

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
USA - ESFJ: We don't care if another way is more logical. We're Amurcans. This is R country. And we shall have elections in the vein of popularity contests if we please. For God and country.
Germany- ISTJ: Ordnung minus humor.
India - xSFJ

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
:laugh:
Methinks you've had too much dram.

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
Interesting thread concept

Based on broad sociopolitical generalizations:

G. Britain - INFP
Germany - INTJ
Norway - INFP

disagree: i can´t believe Britains and Norways leading type is INFp, Germany is ISTJ like Japan or ESTJ like USA,

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Bring me me whiskey, mither, I'm so thirsty, mither,'
Bring me me sheep, for I'm so horny tonight ....

All right, then,how would you characterize the Scots?

Rude!
Ok. When I think of the Scots, I think of drinking (I know I know), bonhomie, frugality, a fighting spirit and a certain devil-may-care approach to life. I don't know what that sounds like, but it doesn't conjure up INTP to me.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ireland - ENFP
Tibet -INFP
Japan - ISTJ
Germany - ISTJ
USA - ESTJ
UK - ISTJ

dmartell75

Hi, I'm new to this website and to MBTI too... anyways, I'm working on a project were I need to find out the dominant personality of each country... do you guys have an idea of were to look? I found a book ("Where in the World Do I Beling??" by Brent Massey) which has about 150 countries, but there are like 50 that I'm missing. Help please!

Thanks,

Derreck

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hi, I'm new to this website and to MBTI too... anyways, I'm working on a project were I need to find out the dominant personality of each country... do you guys have an idea of were to look? I found a book ("Where in the World Do I Beling??" by Brent Massey) which has about 150 countries, but there are like 50 that I'm missing. Help please!

Thanks,

Derreck

Which countries are typed? I'd be interested as to whether or not there are any INFP countries out there.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Italy is puzzling. E for sure, as goes for F and S.
But:
Their strong feelings about how things should be, combined with tradition would make them SJ'ish.
Their chaotic and hedonist nature would make them SP.
ESFP?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Italy is puzzling. E for sure, as goes for F and S.
But:
Their strong feelings about how things should be, combined with tradition would make them SJ'ish.
Their chaotic and hedonist nature would make them SP.
ESFP?

ESFP in the North, ESFJ in the more conservative South, where Catholicism still has a very strong presence, and they will never ever work on Sundays :)

Last edited:

wolfy

awsm
Japan is ISFJ. According to the author and I'd tend to agree, I live there.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was talking with my brother last night, who I have tried unsuccessfully for years to interest in MBTI types and theories. I mentioned something my dad was known for and he said that it was my Dad's "nature" to do that. I asked him what he meant by "nature" and he started referencing the countries my dad is associated with. ( Dad was half Norwegian and half Swedish. ) I argued that there were different MBTI types for each country, versus personality traits associated with countries. He said "I don't know anything about this MBTI stuff, but you're telling me that different nationalities don't have notable personality traits ? How many German comedians do you know of ? But...the trains run on time. But you will think of humor and other traits when you think of Ireland, for example." I said that these are just stereotypes, but he insisted these were formed for a reason etc.

Do you associate any personality traits with countries ?
We Germans do have a sense of humour.
It is a little different from the humour of the others.

It is not true nobody laughs at our jokes.
The other Germans do.

Apropos many of the best American comedians are of a German background.

Lightyear

My personal observations:

Germany - ISTJ or INTJ (Germans have a philosophical soul but gosh do Germans also love their rules!)
USA - ESTJ
England - ISFP or ISTP
Japan - ISTJ or ISFJ
Nigeria - ESTJ
Thailand - ESFP (It's all about the fun!)
New Zealand - ISFJ ?
Australia - ESFP ?
Brazil - ESFP
China - ESTJ