Thread: Pan's Labyrinth

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I am thinking: What the hell was N about the captain!? All I saw was S. It was beyond obvious. Typically Ns are open-minded, for example, but he was as close-minded as they get...
    Typing by closed-mindedness is also a really crapy way to type.
    There are close and open minded individuals of all types.

But I agree that there's a big fat chance that Vidal was an ESTJ.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    To me, it depends on how you're defining depth. I get the sense that you're associating depth with intelligence, insight and wisdom, in which case I think Ns and Ss have different kinds of intelligence, insight and wisdom.

I don't think it's anyone's fault for associating depth with Ns when iNtuition is said to deal with concepts, patterns, and meanings; in other words, it sounds a great deal more deep than Sensing, which focuses on the concrete information a person experiences via their five senses. I think it's a touchy subject, and I definitely think there is an underlying belief at MBTIc that Ns are more intelligent than Ss.

I just like to think that Ns and Ss have different kinds of intelligence.

On an internet discussion forum focusing heavily on psychology, iNtuition is probably going to be more valued simply because this medium and these topics draw a lot more Ns than Ss. Is it fair? Nah, but if you stick an N in a pastime that favors Ss, such as, say... any sport, there is going to be the same thing happening in reverse.

I think Ss tend to be a hell of a lot more observant and aware of their environment; they're thought to be more practical, factual, and present in the moment, whereas Ns just tend to be more focused on the meanings and impressions they find beyond the factual information. So again, I don't think it's illogical to associate iNtuition with depth, as long as your definition of depth lines up with the definition of iNtuition. *shrug* Still, I also don't begrudge anyone their preference to define depth in a way that includes Ss. I can see both sides. It just depends on how you define depth, really.

As for the typing... um, carry on. I've seen this movie, and I like it. I'd agree that Ophelia is some type of N, because she is so damn imaginative (a definite characteristic of Ns, which is just one more reason why Ninja probably associated iNtuition with depth).

I'd also say the evil Captain is definitely ETJ. ETJ because ETJs are good at directing and giving orders and responsibilities to people, and he was a captain. Very most likely an S, because he seemed incredibly observant. Remember the scene where he noticed the chalk on the table/floor? Near the end, when Ophelia was trying to steal the baby and left the chalk lying out?

Definitely. I agree.

Yes. You read my brain. Intelligence, insight and wisdom. That's how I was defining it. There are Ns and Ss that have and lack intelligence, insight, and wisdom.

Yes, N is much more about seeing the meaning behind things and the like which is a much better way to type someone than by "depth"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Typing by closed-mindedness is also a really crapy way to type.
    There are close and open minded individuals of all types.

But I agree that there's a big fat chance that Vidal was an ESTJ.
    That's not what I am mainly typing him by, I am typing him by instinct. No freaking way he is N!
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    That's not what I am mainly typing him by, I am typing him by instinct. No freaking way he is N!
    Oh okay.
    lol.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Just to clarify any confusion- what indeed differs is our definition of depth. In this instance I clearly meant depth to define the way that someone does not chiefly rely upon what is around them and what they can touch, taste etc. There is a greater reliance on making connections, seeing patterns than on external stimuli.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Just to clarify any confusion- what indeed differs is our definition of depth. In this instance I clearly meant depth to define the way that someone does not chiefly rely upon what is around them and what they can touch, taste etc. There is a greater reliance on making connections, seeing patterns than on external stimuli.
    That definition works.

Yes. You read my brain. Intelligence, insight and wisdom. That's how I was defining it. There are Ns and Ss that have and lack intelligence, insight, and wisdom.
    True that.

Yes, N is much more about seeing the meaning behind things and the like which is a much better way to type someone than by "depth"
    I think it's just a question of semantics. If you define depth as seeing meaning, then there's nothing wrong with saying Ns have more depth than Ss, and nothing wrong with measuring someone's depth when trying to decide if someone is an N or an S.

You can associate "depth" with N all you want but typing by "depth" is still a shitty way to type someone. It's definitely not always going to give you accurate results.
    Again, it depends on how you're defining depth. If one defines depth as intelligence, then one still hasn't specified what kind of intelligence one's referring to.

There are different kinds of intelligence. In Western society, I think we tend to associate intelligence with more bookish, scientific, educational and intellectual pursuits, which arguably means we probably consider INTs more intelligent than everyone else in the traditional Western sense. For example, if you throw up pictures of a guy looking nerdy and holding some books, a pro basketball player, and a ballet dancer and ask, "Who is more intelligent?" most people are going to think, "The guy holding the books."

But there are numerous ways to look at intelligence. Other societies may define intelligence differently and even place less priority on having intelligence than Western society does; for example, another society might define intelligence as having practicality and an awareness of social norms above all else, which would mean they tend to consider Ss and Fs more intelligent. So whatever. Depends on how you define intelligence.

I personally think we all use S and N whether we like it or not, and that both are needed for true insight and intelligence.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Oops. I had edited it, Mempy but you quoted it too soon.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Just saw this masterpiece recently.

Ofelia - INFP
    Ofelia's mother (Carmen) - IXFX
    Captain Vidal - ESTJ
    Mercedes - XNFJ
    The faun - ENTJ

Wonder what anyone else thinks?
    Did you 'type' the characters while you were watching the movie, or in reflection?

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by V Profane View Post
    Did you 'type' the characters while you were watching the movie, or in reflection?
    I wonder why you would ask that? A bit of both actually.