User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 145

  1. #31
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    @Zhash: Try reading the posts right above yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpin_Taxt View Post
    DEPP IMPACT

    I dont care too much for celebrity's, but i was looking for Hunter S. Thompson obituries after he died, and came across these Depp writings.

    Hope they help.
    Thank you very much, that does help!

    I'm now 99.999% sure of INFX and 80% sure of INFJ, but what say the rest of you to i.e. this text?

  2. #32
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    @Zhash: Try reading the posts right above yours.



    Thank you very much, that does help!

    I'm now 99.999% sure of INFX and 80% sure of INFJ, but what say the rest of you to i.e. this text?
    Weird. I "fall in love" with people kind of that same way. I don't know if that means anything. Do INFPs do that too?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  3. #33
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Thank you very much, that does help! I'm now 99.999% sure of INFX and 80% sure of INFJ, but what say the rest of you to i.e. this text?
    Yes, I thought Depp's personal writings were very insightful.

    INFJ was my first choice, coming into this, and nothing has changed that. His writing style seems to be very FJ -- straight from the gut, self-assured, he has a good mastery of / focuses on the details of the interactions between him and others, a P tends to qualify comments a lot more, but he just plunged forward and sounds very sure of himself and making strong statements. Very personal narrative (F), very tightly structured (from the J).

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Weird. I "fall in love" with people kind of that same way. I don't know if that means anything. Do INFPs do that too?
    I dunno, I tend to have those reactions to people as well -- I just fall "madly in love" with them within the first few minutes of meeting them. Not in the conventional way, but I just feel so in sync with them or find something that so much resonates with me that I just feel very connected to them and extremely positive about them and inspired by them and consider them deep friends... it's like the "essence of them" is the same in some way.

    The only thing odd (for being INTP) is that my eight-function test measures my Ni close in strength to my Ne.

    Is there some generalization that could be made there?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #34
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    INFJ was my first choice, coming into this, and nothing has changed that. His writing style seems to be very FJ -- straight from the gut, self-assured, he has a good mastery of / focuses on the details of the interactions between him and others, a P tends to qualify comments a lot more, but he just plunged forward and sounds very sure of himself and making strong statements. Very personal narrative (F), very tightly structured (from the J).
    Once again I agree with you. His writings seem very structured to me, much more so than the INFP writings I've seen.

    I wonder if any INFPs would care to comment?

  5. #35
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    I've been convinced Depp is INFJ for years now, and had I not been certain before, I would after reading his writings. Thanks for the links.

    I could also see why the OP would type Terry Pratchett INFP, but there's no way he'd be able to twist and turn everything and dismantle and rebuild in freaky ways like he does to create humor without Ti Ne running together like a kid on too much sugar. Sure he's got a well developed Fi as well, but I'm pretty certain he's INTP (with ENTP my second guess and INFP with strong Ti my third).

  6. #36
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I could also see why the OP would type Terry Pratchett INFP, but there's no way he'd be able to twist and turn everything and dismantle and rebuild in freaky ways like he does to create humor without Ti Ne running together like a kid on too much sugar. Sure he's got a well developed Fi as well, but I'm pretty certain he's INTP (with ENTP my second guess and INFP with strong Ti my third).
    I haven't read his books for years, but that is what my guesses would be if I had to place a bet. I'd probably say something similar for Douglas Adams, but that is based solely only on my reading of Hitchhiker's Guide and not listening to or seeing him.

    [Note: Now I do remember that Pratchett did get into the interpersonal communications of his characters pretty well, which INTPs sometimes have trouble writing but INFPs do not. So that's a point in favor of INFP.]

    Usually INTPs seem to go in one of two basic directions: Either they write something that is very very dryly funny (even scathing), that you can't quite tell if it's supposed to be humor or not (this is mostly focus on the Ti, IMO). Sarcasm, pointed parody, whatever, to drive home the inconsistencies in something.

    Or they go the other way and create something very goofy and silly, with lots of frenetic connections flying off in all directions... and everything IS connected in a way that the average person of any personality can follow (unlike Ni), even if they don't enjoy it. (This is focus on Ne.)

    The former can emulate INTJ sometimes, and the latter might be mistaken as ENTP.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #37
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I haven't read his books for years, but that is what my guesses would be if I had to place a bet. I'd probably say something similar for Douglas Adams, but that is based solely only on my reading of Hitchhiker's Guide and not listening to or seeing him.

    [Note: Now I do remember that Pratchett did get into the interpersonal communications of his characters pretty well, which INTPs sometimes have trouble writing but INFPs do not. So that's a point in favor of INFP.]

    Usually INTPs seem to go in one of two basic directions: Either they write something that is very very dryly funny (even scathing), that you can't quite tell if it's supposed to be humor or not (this is mostly focus on the Ti, IMO). Sarcasm, pointed parody, whatever, to drive home the inconsistencies in something.

    Or they go the other way and create something very goofy and silly, with lots of frenetic connections flying off in all directions... and everything IS connected in a way that the average person of any personality can follow (unlike Ni), even if they don't enjoy it. (This is focus on Ne.)

    The former can emulate INTJ sometimes, and the latter might be mistaken as ENTP.
    That's exactly the thing! Pratchett goes on the ENTP streak, bombarding you with ideas and connections as the narrator one moment, and the next, he's taken the Ti approach, pointing out inconsistencies, being sarcastic/dry/pointed, often using a character's thoughts to promote this latter view.

    And yes, Douglas Adams is much the same.

    After having seen the video now, I see there's little chance he's ENTP. He appears very I.

  8. #38
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    .
    Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 09-12-2007 at 02:40 PM.

  9. #39
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    This is such bullshit. Every time someone cool shows humour, originality and evidence of being able to tie 3 thoughts together this somehow disqualifies them from being INFP?
    I never disqualified myself from being INFP.

    But Pratchett and Adams show typical examples of Ti+Ne humor setup, not Fi+Ne, so it's natural to assume they're NTPs.

  10. #40
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    This is such bullshit. Every time someone cool shows humour, originality and evidence of being able to tie 3 thoughts together this somehow disqualifies them from being INFP? Well fuck that. Isabel Briggs Myer. INFuckingP.
    That's sort of a misrepresentation of the scenario, isn't it? And we're only discussing Pratchett and Adams right now, not every funny and creative and intellectual person? And I specifically put in a clause that Pratchett did show some Fi in the sense he seemed to write the "personal perspectives" a bit better than than most INTPs I had seen? So why the blowup?

    Let's discuss INFP vs INTP humor, especially when it comes to movie or book length projects, and see what they look like, and what tones are generally struck, and what "level" the humor happens on, and so forth.

    I'm fine with that, if you'd like to justify your response. It's the only way to get to the bottom of things.

    I'm having trouble of thinking of typical Fi humor books right now for comparison. I do know that, when I joke around with INFPs in person, they tend to be more good-natured and less "off the wall" than me, I will take an idea and play it out to the bitter logical end. They will laugh at what I say, because they immediately "get it," but they are invariably timid about going there until they realize they can say whatever they want around me and not worry about saying the wrong thing.

    [example: When I look at Monty Python, for example, the majority of them (if not all) seem to be NTs.]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Famous historical NF's
    By substitute in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
  2. [NF] Famous Canadian NFs
    By KLessard in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 12:29 AM
  3. Famous living Sensers
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
  4. [NF] How do you live, NF?
    By nolla in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM
  5. Famous living NTs
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO