• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inspector Morse.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm not sure how many of the members here will even have heard of Morse but it's a Colin Dexter character.

The character has been the subject of a case study before, I'll keep the results to myself for the meanwhile, and I thought it makes for an interesting topic.

So, if you know of the characters (and I'm thinking more the TV interpretation done by John Thaw than the novels themselves) I'm thinking of the following..

What type is Morse?
What type is Lewis?
From these what type is Colin Dexter?

As an interesting aside, I'm wondering what type John Thaw is as he's described as somewhat like Morse but shy. Whilst whatching a documentary on the TV series I did think of several types but I was unsatisfied with such crude stabbing in the dark. Ergo I thought it'd get a whole lot more refined by including more blades :D

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
FREAKY! I was just thinking about what Inspector Morse's type was this morning! Get out of my head! Do you watch Inspector Lewis as well? ( That Lawrence Fox is a hotty. :D )

I would say Morse is an ISTP, Lewis is an ISFJ, and Hathaway is an INTJ.

Do you think that sounds about right?

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've always seen Morse as pretty intuitive. Lewis? Not so much. I loved the Morse series, I miss John Thaw.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
FREAKY! I was just thinking about what Inspector Morse's type was this morning! Get out of my head!
But.. but.. it's soo murky and mysterious in here..lots of squidgey stuff to poke and such..
:smile:
Do you watch Inspector Lewis as well? ( That Lawrence Fox is a hotty. :D )
I haven't as yet. The attraction with Morse started as my father used to watch it and so I picked up an interest in the staring pair and it's that interplay of characters that got me hooked.

I guess I should try Lewis really... it's about the only detective style thing I haven't seen yet.
I would say Morse is an ISTP, Lewis is an ISFJ, and Hathaway is an INTJ.
I don't know about Hathaway but I'd have placed Lewis as more of an extrovert myself.

Your estimation of Morse's type surprises me somewhat.. May I ask what in particular lead you to that conclusion?
Do you think that sounds about right?
I think it sounds like good thinking.. or intuition... right is something I'd probably argue over :devil:

If you mean are your results the same as the case study then in Morse's case definitely not... which is why I'm interested (I'm not sure they got it right either to be honest). In any case thinking about it's more interesting than getting it "right" :D
I've always seen Morse as pretty intuitive. Lewis? Not so much. I loved the Morse series, I miss John Thaw.
I'd concurr that I think Morse is intuitive but I'm being wary that such may be myself fitting the character to a pattern rather than observing one. If Morse is played as having high intelligence then the writer will include links not obvious to the audience to illustrate his intellect.. I'm concerned that can lead to people seeing intuition when in fact it's leaps put in to represent high intelligence.

Having said all that to me the most telling parts of the character is Morse's distain for Lewis' "basic" thinking and also how Morse has a tendency to grasp the first idea he has and persues it until Lewis says something, sometimes a random thought and other times actual constructed thinking, which shows Morse where he's going wrong.

I realise that similar was evident in the Holmes stories but somehow that always seemed to be executed with less finesse. Crass somehow. Where Morse actually uses what Lewis has said to come to his next bright idea Holmes seems more prone to just leap off at another tangent almost without regard to what Watson actually said.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
We must watch the same TV. Holmes? Jeremy Brett's Holmes? Weird, somehow you're in my head, it's the only Holmes I ever liked. He was great. Damn, I miss him too. :(

Last edited:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
We must watch the same TV. Holmes? Jeremy Brett's (sp) Holmes? Weird, somehow you're in my head, it's the only Holmes I ever liked. He was great. Damn, I miss him too. :(
I'm sorry... there's another Sherlock Holmes?

;)

Reruns rock..

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I always saw Morse as the antisocial, snobbish, chaotic INTP. (great for identification)
And I know it is the obvious interpretation to see Lewis as ESFJ then, but I still buy it :)

As for the late John Thaw, he is an actor, I have no idea...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's true. Jeremy Brett was the best Holmes.

GodsGadfly

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi, I found this very old thread trying to type my favorite writers and agree with mippus. I've watched almost every episode of the original series, every episode of _Lewis_ and _Endeavour_, and read most of the books (my last name is "Hathaway," so that was cool). I took the 16 personalities quiz and answered as Morse might have done, and came up with INTP. I was inclined based on description to say ISTP (i usually go with the Harry Potter chart as my guideline). I don't think Morse is practical/present enough to be an S, and he usually solves cases through intuitive thinking: he sits around listening to classical music and then comes up with a seemingly random association at the ending that helps him solve the crime.