• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJs in popular culture

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
The INTJ seems to be everyone's favorite type. It's the one a lot of people like to think they are. Here are a few:

Gandalf from The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings
Bruce Wayne from Batman (maybe, but I'm starting to think he's an ISTJ)
Mycroft Holmes from Sherlock Holmes
Dr. Doom from Fantastic Four
Curt Connors/Lizard from Spider Man
Storm from X-Men
Haytham Kenway from Assassin's Creed
Elrond from The Lord of the Rings
Sauron from The Lord of the Rings
Professor Snape from Harry Potter
Johann Schmidt from Captain America

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sherlock Holmes - The Elementary TV series rendition.
Bruce Wayne - The Gotham rendition as well as most Batman renditions
Sheldon Cooper - Big Bang Theory
Harrison Wells - From CW Flash
Brain - from Pinky and The Brain
Alex - from Quantico
Stewie - Family Guy
Mr. Burns - Simpsons

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Sherlock Holmes - The Elementary TV series rendition.
Sheldon Cooper - Big Bang Theory
Harrison Wells - From CW Flash
Brain - from Pinky and The Brain
Alex - from Quantico
Stewie - Family Guy
Mr. Burns - Simpsons

I don't watch much Big Bang Theory, but from what I've seen, Sheldon seems more like an ENTP

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't watch much Big Bang Theory, but from what I've seen, Sheldon seems more like an ENTP
INTP with OCD and perhaps aspergers

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sheldon definitely INTJ

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funny how this is going to be about Sheldon again, but he is a classic INTP. There isn't much to show he's an INTJ. There's definitely an Si fix with him. That inferior Fe is so apparent. I'd see it logical to have Ti-Ne as his Dom and Aux.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

Good evening, sir. I'm with the Typology Police. We received a report that you have been trying to pass off an ISTJ as an INTJ. Since this is your first offense, I'll let you off with a warning, but do try to be more careful next time.

zaluel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
??
No. No no no no no.

Snape always gets mistyped as an INTJ, but literally everything is does is based on his feeelwings. He's melodramatic and irrational. In addition, he also has zero internal moral code. An INTJ may have a screwed up code, yeah, but at least they have one, whereas Snape is constantly flitting between the sides.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No. No no no no no.

Snape always gets mistyped as an INTJ, but literally everything is does is based on his feeelwings. He's melodramatic and irrational. In addition, he also has zero internal moral code. An INTJ may have a screwed up code, yeah, but at least they have one, whereas Snape is constantly flitting between the sides.

He comes off as an INTJ, Enneagram 4w5 {sp/sx}, to me.

It wasn't until the HBP that the readers are introduced to his pre-Death Eater life.

...The irony of burying one's tortured emotions is that it stimulates more irrational and erratic behaviors.

Snape has never gotten the opportunity to safely process and accept his experiences, which further leads him to perceive the external world as an "imminent threat" to his psychological well-being. Just as he did in his youth. Therefore, he is VERY prone to over-reacting against harmless Gryffindor student behaviors -- they serve as stark reminders of his troubled childhood.

Then Dumbledore requested Snape's services as a double agent.

While his position was critical for the protection of Harry Potter, at a personal level, this role imposed a heavier toll on Snape's emotional health and personal development. He is further pushed into social isolation, as The Order & Hogwarts staff continue to treat him with suspicion or downright mistrust.

"Course Dumbledore trusts you," growled Moody. "He’s a trusting man, isn’t he? Believes in second chances. But me — I say there are spots that don’t come off, Snape. Spots that never come off, d’you know what I mean?"

Ultimately, it is extremely difficult to readjust one's jaded worldview when there is limited outside support. There is no one to constructively challenge your views, or the nourishment of someone who deeply cares about your well-being. Sirius had Harry & co., and many others. So did Remus.

But Snape only has Dumbledore.

Even then, their relationship is more professional than friendly. Out of necessity. For all those years, where the average person could eventually move beyond their disruptive past, Snape could not. His responsibility as a double agent forced him to cut back on all opportunities to heal and save himself. Snape had only himself to rely on, and he hasn't learned the proper skills of managing his core needs.

When Harry said Snape was the "bravest man" he ever knew, this was probably the reason why. Most people would not be able to withstand this lifestyle, and yet... Snape was able to diligently carry out the most important mission for years without fail. His "flip-flopping" is deliberate, and executed with extreme precision. But his continuous, bully-like hostility towards the others is likely a calculated risk that Dumbledore has long accepted.

"Albus Dumbledore: "I prefer not to put all my secrets in one basket, particularly not a basket that spends so much time dangling on the arm of Lord Voldemort."
Snape: "Which I do on your orders!"
Albus Dumbledore: "And you do it extremely well. Do not think that I underestimate the constant danger in which you place yourself, Severus. To give Voldemort what appears to be valuable information while withholding the essentials is a job I would entrust to nobody but you."
— Dumbledore and Snape on the latter's espionage

In essence, as with Sirius {who was imprisoned at a young age}, the two men are both unfortunately stuck in their Hogwarts days.

While Snape remains a tortured man with toxic behaviors, he is also loyal and committed to causes he believes in.

Of course... this doesn't justify his toxic behaviors. But it does explain why Snape has a hell of a time moving past the melodrama. Should he be allowed to live an ordinary life, with a group of healthy-minded friends, ...the events may turn out differently for him.

Yet... would Snape ever seize this opportunity to become a better man? Would he ever alter the pettiness? That remains to be determined.

• JK Rowling has once mentioned --
"Snape is all grey. You can't make him a saint: he was vindictive & bullying. You can't make him a devil: he died to save the wizarding world."

However, regardless of MBTI type, most people wouldn't be able to easily extricate themselves from the level of repression that Snape experienced. Whether it is self-imposed or an environmental factor. This would take serious skill, support, motivation & dedication towards adopting healthy mindsets. Neither of which, Snape possessed before he accepted the double-agent role.

Anyway, this is just my perspective of Snape's background. :)

TL;DR --My theory is that in "ordinary" circumstances, Snape would still retain those vindictive and bullying tendencies, but he wouldn't be such an irrational, melodramatic nutcase about it. That is more of a side-effect of his repression.

And determining the MBTI type on the *presence* of emotional stability isn't very effective. We all posses the capacity for unhealthy tendencies, except each individual may go about it in a different manner.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He comes off as an INTJ, Enneagram 4w5 {sp/sx}, to me.

It wasn't until the HBP that the readers are introduced to his pre-Death Eater life.

...The irony of burying one's tortured emotions is that it stimulates more irrational and erratic behaviors.

<etc.>
My analysis of the character runs a bit differently, but I agree with your conclusion. I think a large amount of Snape's behavior is calculated, in order to maintain his precarious position as someone (apparently) trusted by both Dumbledore and Voldemort. It isn't hard to act nasty toward the students, especially Gryffindors, and especially Harry, because of his personal history and feelings. But if his goals necessitated suppressing that, I don't doubt that he could. Snape's double life requires a level of detachment, planning/strategy, and paranoia generally associated more with INTJs than with any other type. I agree, he is not a healthy example of the type, which accounts for some of his more extreme behaviors.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alex Mercer from Prototype if videogames count. Very much INTJ. A stated borderline Sociopath who worked as a scientist at Gentek researching a virus. But was later killed and turned into the virus after the outbreak and ran around trying to get rid of it. Taking on all the Gentek soldiers and enemies and consuming them to gain their memories. He was basically a chaotic neutral antihero... until the second game that is, where he

0.jpg

"You were always so smart. Plans within Plans." -About Alex Mercer
"I'm not paid to feel." - Alex Mercer (before he died)